Vista: Aero has NO impact on game performance ?

robotskip

54 posts in this topic

A "window manager" is something that really only exists in X11, because just about all other graphical systems come with their own window management built in.

I could try to define the difference between a "window manager", a "desktop environment", a "composite manager", etc. etc., but I've been trying to figure this out for three years and I still haven't gotten it all down perfectly.

Aero is one of those Microsofty hard-to-define buzzterms like ".NET". Yeah, you can kind of figure out what it means. No, it doesn't mean anything particularly specific, it's meant to define the "experience" more than anything else. Aero is kind of this combination of window composition management and "look and feel". Hey, don't blame me. Microsoft isn't trying to explain the fricken' technology, they're trying to sell it. 99% of people who need a computer really don't care how it works, they just need it to.

This thread remembers me how it's a stereotype saying french people are whiners.

Basing on peoples facts, I've come to the conclusion that Windows sucks because you need some ram and a video card :( How sad it is. (oh wait ! I think you need those to run a PC)

I guess MacOS sucks then because it eats lots of ram and is using the GPU to render its Aqua GUI (QE/CI). And so does XGL then !

Gotta go back to DOS 6.22, I think... Doesn't need that much ram. And VGA/SVGA was so much better for games, hell yeah, DirectX sucks (yep, MS did develop DX, so IT SUCKS), because now game makers can program games without having to code their own drivers for every peripheral out there on a PC. Unfortunately for you, and that's why YOU don't play in OSX, OpenGL support from Apple is a POS, and you won't run a game as fast as with DirectX/Windows. That's one of the biggest flow of OSX, yep, OSX isn't perfect either, but no one seems to talk about that.

Even OpenGL games like Doom3 are running better in Windows and Apple doesn't seem to care that much for us gamers.

Bah ! Everybody will end up upgrading from XP to Vista, as you upgraded from 9x to XP (or from 2000 to XP...). Still, i'll use my main os to work, the one that I like best (which is OSX) or whatever OS you wanna use, with a dual boot.

It seems lots of people around there don't know what they are talking about, and therefore, people don't even know Windows Vista isn't based on Windows XP/2K kernel AT ALL and has a new kernel based on Windows Server 2003 which is completely different (that's why it took a lot of time to develop it, because they started to work on a NT 5 kernel, to finally use the newer one, NT6, 2 years ago or so).

Finally, i'm done defending Vista, it's like playing a childish game saying who is right or is not ; it's not even talking about Vista at all.

Now, you don't agree with me and think Vista is a POS, then i'm fine with it, go back running Windows Me, it was certainly better !

PS : oh yeah, did I mention that each time MS launches a new OS, specially based on a new kernel, everyone is complaining ? I mean, to migrate from 9x to XP, it was a pain in the ass, specially for the drivers which couldn't use VXD anymore. You'll get over it, i'm sure, just as you did with XP !

Edited by cyclonefr