MACPRO CASE FRONT PANEL

marlboro Lights

13 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

SATA does not have enough connectors to handle everything on the front panel 2 USB (8 connections) 1 Firewire w power (6 connections), 1 Firwewire w/o power (4 connections) headphone (3 connections) = 21 connections SATA = 7 connections. Even with some common ground you can not get that down to 7 pins.

NOW, if they are some how combining all that data to transfer over a SATA bus it could be done but I highly doubt that as I dont think SATA has the bandwidth for 2 USB 2.0 + 2 FireWire 400 (assuming 400 on front panel and not 800 which is even more bandwidth) and Audio.

I'm just too lazy to go type up all the stuff I know about the Mac Pro front panel.

I just wanted to mention the weirdest one, the sata connector.

There are other connectors on it, like a 2x8 connector, a firewire 800, which is a pass through, and a few small ones.

Apple likes to mess around with connectors. In the iMac's they use a 4 pin firewire cable as a usb connector for the isight camera.

Edited by markusf

• 3 weeks later...
I need your help. I bought a MACPRO Case and i would like to install a pc in this case. My problem is the usb/power button on the front panel..is anybody can help me to find how to connect it on pc i appreciate it

thanx in advance

Look at my thread here! i have it all worked out for you!

Regards, Per.

zapro..i have fit my motherboard in macpro case..use usb and, led and powerbutton.. i don't have audio now..but if you want..write me your email..i send you my work and we can do it togheter

Marlboro, what information do you need to use the Audio ? It's really easy to use the Audio. Do you have the cable with the correct plug that fits the Front-panel PCB ? else you solder wires to the bottom side of the PCB, that's fairly easy to do.

The pinout is af follows:

(pin 1 is marked with an arrow at the PCB)

1 Sense (a switch that connects to GND when to headphones is plugged in, is used to tell the Sound-card that it should use the back ports. i haven't tested yet if we can use this, it all depends on drivers.)

2 GND

3 Left Channel

4 Right Channel

5 (Cable Shielding) GND.

Regards, Per.

• 3 years later...