Mac OS X 10.3

26 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever hacked it for PC's? They meet my System Requirements. And is it able to be hacked to work with newer Mac programs? The CD version. I don't have a DVD drive. I have one that goes in the USB though. I hope so. I am getting a 40 gb hard drive this weekend. Probably some ram another day. I might also get a new video card. Probably Nvidia. Thanks. Here are the requirements.

• Supported Computers - Power Mac G3, G4, G5, iMac, eMac, PowerBook G3 (bronze keyboard models only) or G4, or iBook G3 or G4
  • RAM required - 128 megabytes
  • Hard Drive Space - 1.5 gigabytes

Guest bikedude880

Dude, first off lets focus on processor architecture. 10.3 was built for the PPC architecture. Regular PCs are based on the i386 architecture. Granted Apple did build it for i386 as well, it was an internal build that never left the building. I think that's a good enough explanation for now.

Has anyone ever hacked it for PC's? They meet my System Requirements.

[...]

[*]Supported Computers - Power Mac G3, G4, G5, iMac, eMac, PowerBook G3 (bronze keyboard models only) or G4, or iBook G3 or G4

/* no comment */

Guest bikedude880
Dude, first off lets focus on processor architecture. 10.3 was built for the PPC architecture. Regular PCs are based on the i386 architecture. Granted Apple did build it for i386 as well, it was an internal build that never left the building. I think that's a good enough explanation for now.
This is intel pentium 3. I have a couple of giftcards to best buy. And will get more ram. 512 or higher most likely. But honestly has anyone hacked it like they hacked 10.4?

Guest bikedude880
I have 128 mb ram. And 6 gb of ram.

Ok, dude... listen closely. Reread this if you must. 10.3 WAS BUILT FOR POWER-PC PROCESSORS (MADE BY IBM). YOU HAVE EITHER AN INTEL OR AN AMD PROCESSOR BASED ON I386. THIS WILL NOT WORK!!!!!!

:wallbash: This thread made my day. And now.. don't feed the trolls <.))))<

Last time attemp to explain the situation

Very simple:

NOT hacked cause NOT possible.

(pls think NOW!)

Pentium NOT powerpc.

(THINK AGAIN)

NO 10.3 for PC processor!

(NOW think.... comprende?)

Guest bikedude880
I asked a simple question. I know now. Topic closed. I had 1.5 gb and 128 mb ram. I thought it was hacked.

And our first answers were simple as well. After that, you were kinda asking for it :wallbash::D

this could work. if we can figure out how to extract the UI from the ppc version of 10.3 and transplant it onto a darwin 7.xx x86 install, it could work. i have darwin 7.x installed on an AMD Athlon xp 1600+ with no UI. i am currently trying extract the UI from 10.3 using PearPC installed on a seperate machine. if anyone know for sure what files are needed for the UI please let me know. i would really like to give this a shot.

Let me explain:

Programs are translated into bytecode (opcode) which the proccessor is able to understand. The UI is as well a program as the kernel is. As we learned that PPC and x86 is diffrent, the UI won't work on a x86 cpu since it is .. oh wonder.. a program.

Guest bikedude880

Jesus... is this the "lets ask stupid questions" day? PPC code (anything prior to 10.4.x) will NOT run on i386 processors. OS X Tiger makes an exception with the oah app that translates the code to i386. Before you get any ideas, what you are thinking won't work. I'm tired of explaining this over and over. IT WON'T WORK!

this could work. if we can figure out how to extract the UI from the ppc version of 10.3 and transplant it onto a darwin 7.xx x86 install, it could work. i have darwin 7.x installed on an AMD Athlon xp 1600+ with no UI. i am currently trying extract the UI from 10.3 using PearPC installed on a seperate machine. if anyone know for sure what files are needed for the UI please let me know. i would really like to give this a shot.

You're unfortunately wrong. The UI is an application, still compiled in PowerPC. AFAIK, java is the only language that has applets not compiled in a native platform. The UI is still an app, and still compiled for PowerPC. You cannot make it run on your install of an x86 kernel, end of story.