[How To]Atheros AR5212 based cards, now w/ Leopard

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

consolation

consolation

I am not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
chipxsd that's a work of bloody genius, but, can you confirm that you are running the leo kext? I can get this to work, but only if I use the 10.4.8 kext. Oh, and my task bar icon doesn't work. If I try to use the leo kernel I get a hanged system.

Notice the bar icon on the sceenshot.

Anyhow, I'll update the first post to reflect this method when I have a moment.

screenie:

Attached Files

chipxsd

chipxsd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Sorry to disappoint you, but as I said, I'm using Tigers kext.

The only thing I did with the kernel extensions was, I disabled the 10.5's IO80211Family.kext by renaming it's directory name from .kext to something else (.kext.disabled), and copied the 10.4.8's kext into the /extensions directory.

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Oct 12 03:50 GeForceGA.plugin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Oct 12 03:51 GeForceVADriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Oct 10 06:48 I2CGPIO.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Sep 29 07:05 ICAClassicNotSeizeDriver.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Sep 29 07:11 ICAFWKodakProDriver.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Aug 9 2006 IO80211Family-Tiger.kext - this is the 10.4.8 kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Oct 10 06:48 IO80211Family.kext.disabled - this is the 10.5 kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Oct 10 06:48 IOACPIFamily.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Oct 10 06:45 IOADBFamily.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Oct 3 20:42 IOAHCIFamily.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Oct 3 20:42 IOATAFamily.kext

But I think this has got nothing to do with the success of 10.4.8 kext connecting to secured wifi connections.

ps: and one problem still remains, it doesn't connect automatically when you boot in to the system :D
ps2: how did you get your system profiler to work? Mine crashes immediately when I run it. And if I run it in shell (system_profiler), it gives me a 'Floating point exception'

consolation

consolation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
Sorry, I misread your post. Your method works with the 10.5 framework + 10.4.8 kext. The system profiler is probably a problem with AppleSMBIOS.kext, I'm using 1.0.11 - which I think is Paulicat's latest. The link is in here.

se_dony

se_dony

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
chipxsd:

thanks for the awesome tip! it works for me using the 10.4.8 extension (my card is a tp-link wn651g)

many thanks :(

oSxFr33k

oSxFr33k

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Interests:Sound and Graphic Design. Electronics in general.
CAn I get kext also be extracted fromt he Jas 10.4.8 DVD? When you say kext 10.4.8 I have to assume its from a tiger version 10.4.8? Is this correct?

Anyhow now that I think about it, its correct if its an unpatched DVD but I guess if its patched, Jas, Uphuck or whever coudl be using a kext version they know that will work and may not necessarily be the kext version yoru tiger version is?

I will have to assume Jas 10.4.8 is using IO80211Family.kext version 10.4.8?

I see my Netgear ar5212 but I cannot turn the card on. I am not using any security on my router for now.

EDITED ABOUT 2 hours later:

I have tried everything, even tried Consolation's link and no go. My airport is turned off. When I open NEtwork from Preferences, it should
say New port found and it never does. I click on turn airport on and it just won't.

I wonder since I used a modified version of BrazilMAC's post patch if it has broken airport?

Its for P5K or P35 users and after installing it it boots leopard up in like 10 seconds. FAST!!

Here is the link:

http://forum.insanel...showtopic=68698

Any other suggestions other than installing BrazilMAC's version instead?

With BrazilMAC's post patch, I get two annoying errors, hpet and localhost that repeats to the point that it will drive you mad.

EDITED another couple hours later:

Finally fixed:

I have fund out if you have this PCI Netgear Wireless card you should disable all Lan's and any onbaord USB wireless on your MB before you install Leopard or after you install it, disable them.

I had to disable them after I installed Leopard. One of the lans still showed up so this is what I did. I turned DHCP to OFF. Thats the Key once I did that I saw my airport turn on or I was able to turn it on after a reboot.

Once I did that, I rebooted then right clicked on the airport icon on the top menu bar and was able to connect to my linksys router. I went back into network from the preferences icon. I turned the lan from off , back to DHCP, rebooted and still had a working Wireless.

Changing the en0 and 0 to en1 and 1 or en2 and 2 did not solve the problem alone. It was a combination of changing en0 to en1 and switching the lan from the network dhcp to off. I cannot explain why it worked this way but it did and hope it helps people who have a similiar MB as mine.

I did switch kexts as well, but that alone did not solve the problem either but you have to switch kexts or your system freezes when you try to connect using the default Leopards IO80211Family.kext.

The APpleSMBIOS.kext that consolation gave a link to did not solve the problem either. I had to put my default back because sleep mode froze using that smbios.

Mac R0cketman

Mac R0cketman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
I have a WG311T working with consolations method but when i restart my computer the computer does not detect the airport card then i have to first put the 10.4.5 kext which makes it detect the card but cant turn on then put the 10.4.8 kext and then finally it works but after restart i'm again back to square 1 any help would be appreciated

P.S. : Can someone please PM me Leo's IO80211Family.kext pacifict is unable to open leo dvd and i was dumb enuf not to backup

sziggle

sziggle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

I don't know if others found out a way to connect to a secured wireless connection with the Tiger kext? ... but I think I have found a solution:

You have to use the 'Assist me' -> 'Diagnostics', to connect to your secured connection, it worked fine for me. I took the liberty to include screenshots in this post, so you can see how I did it...

using my tiger IO80211family.kext, i found the same method to work, but (and it's a big but...) i have to do this every time i turn on my machine. it will always reliably connect through the network diagnostics application when i run through the manual process that you posted screenshots for, but it will never automatically connect like it ought to once you have successfully connected and stored the password in the keychain. this is definitely related only to secure access (and i have only verified it with WPA and WPA2 -- i haven't tried WEP). i can automatically connect to an unsecured network without problem.

i have been reading posts on the apple discussion boards and although there seem to be a number of different wifi related issues with leopard that many people are confusing with each other, there are definitely people posting about this particular issue who have apple hardware, so i don't think this is necessarily a hackintosh-only problem...

if anyone knows a fix that will persist through a reboot, please post!

chipxsd

chipxsd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
sziggle: I thought that too, Mac users must have the same problems like we do, because it's generally the same chipset with the same microcode, only it has different Device Id, and even that can be changed with some hardware modifications / flashing.

sziggle

sziggle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

The new kext method

.For 10.5.0, follow the same procedure, but edit the /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext

warning:w leo a lot of computers get this problem -consider this a "work in progress":

Unverified solution (please post here if you can confirm)

i can confirm that on my rig, editing the stock 10.5 kext to include my hardware string results in a kext that crashes leopard just before the login screen appears.

still looking for a way to have leopard and my hardware automatically connect to a WPA secured wifi network without having to manually go through the network diagnostics method that chipxsd posted.

neikous

neikous

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
very nice chipxsd - i will test this with WPA when I get home

thanks

oSxFr33k

oSxFr33k

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
Read my Post above on how I solved it. You have to use the leopard kext file modify it then make sure you see the airport then after that put in a 10.4.8 atheros kext file thats modifed with the correct Device ID etc. Only reason I have to use the 10.4.8 kext is because the leopard one crashes the system when I try to connect to the linksys router (My Network).

I also had to disable all LAns and built in USB wireless which my board has and then turn off my LAN DHCP to off and once I did that I was able to turn my Airport on. One of the built in lan's still showed up even though I disabled it in the Bios.

Here is an interesting reply to one of my posts saying you have to make sure the PCI version of another kext is correctly entered in the atheros kext or at least that is how I take it?

http://forum.insanel...st=#entry495757

Mac R0cketman

Mac R0cketman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
I have a WG311T wifi card when i use

10.4.5 IO80211Family.kext - Airport is detected but i cannot turn on
10.4.8 IO80211Family.kext - Airport is detected works fine but is no detected on reboot (then it is detected again only if i first put the 10.4.5 kext then the 10.4.8 kext)

My dev id is 168c,5a

Please can anyone help me and i was stupid enough not to backup the original kext which i need to test so please can some please help me and PM me the original 10.5 kext

Thanks in advance

oSxFr33k

oSxFr33k

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
I think there is more to this. See this thread. I never new you had to make sure you had all the versions numbers of the string inside the plist match the version number that is referenced in that kext plist to the version number of those kexts files in system profiler.

Sounds confusing but have a look at this link:

http://forum.insanel...rt=#entry495757

Read my replies and read my first post.

Anyhow try this. Turn DHCP to off on the lan card if it shows up the en0 or whatever then reboot. Then see if you can turn on the Airport card. If you can then go ahead and change the lan back to DHCP and all should work. This is how I did it.

It did work with the default leopard kext IO80211Family.kext but when it connected it froze Leopard. SO I swapped it with a 10.4.8 and everything works. Mine is not a 5c its 13.

consolation

consolation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

if anyone knows a fix that will persist through a reboot, please post!

I guess you can work around that by recording a script with the automator and adding it to start up items.

BoBo

BoBo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I may have found the solution.

I think you need to have

10.5 IONetworkingFamily.kext
10.4.8 IO80211Family.kext

Many people who install Leopard run Brazilmac postscript which will change IONetworking to a different version.

I used the Make Bootable Disk + ToH method so all of my kexts were originals (unless of course ToH replaced them before making the ISO).

The Airport Icon Reports that it is off, but I'm posting this right now so...???

chipxsd

chipxsd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
It's true, my ToH installation had the 10.4.8 IO80211Family.kext. So I replaced it with the one from the retail copy of Leopard, and it still doesn't connect to secured connection automatically.

Now I too have:
10.5 - IONetworkingFamily.kext
10.4.8 - IO80211Family.kext
... on my Leopard installation, and no difference.

I'm going to try to install the 10.5 version of IO80211Family.kext with 10.5 version of IONetworkingFamily..., maybe the freezing will stop. Stay tuned...

Edit:
This just in:
Having both of kernel extensions, IONetworkingFamily.kext and IO80211Family.kext from the original retail 10.5 Leopard DVD, works! It connects to my secured wireless connection without a problem. It doesn't freeze my system, and it doesn't show me the: "Connection failed!" message.

BoBo, thank you for pointing me into the right direction.

@consolation: please confirm this and fix the first post! Just say, you need both of the .kext from the original 10.5 DVD. And of course, you have to modify it by changing the deviceid attributes.

chipxsd

chipxsd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ok, guys, sorry to brake the bad news - but it seems this method doesn't work that well as I thought. My happle started getting chills, and began to freeze.

So having both original (I guess it's called Vanilla) kernel extensions: IO80211Family.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext doesn't solve any problems. It worked for me, for about a day, then it suddenly started freezing my system.

But I've got some good news afterall. It seems airport successfully connects to a secured wireless access point using networksetup command in shell. This command can then be executed every time system loads up.

Here's an example on how to use it:
sudo networksetup -setairportnetwork "your wifi name" "password"
I don't know yet how to create a startup item, but I'll research this tomorrow. It's bed time for me. See you.

Cirrus

Cirrus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thats good news. I can confirm this.

To make it autostart:

[codebox]sudo chmod +s /usr/sbin/networksetup[/codebox]

and then:

[codebox]sudo nano /etc/rc.local[/codebox]

and enter:

[codebox]networksetup -setairportnetwork "yournetwork" "yourpassword"[/codebox]

consolation

consolation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
Lot's of "real" mac users are having issues w/ wireless in Leo (including system freezes). 5.1 is almost upon us, it's been seeded out to ADC. I think let's wait & see what happens when that gets out. We have a good work around anyhow, if 5.1 doesn't solve anything I can write a little script to ask for password/SSID, then pass it to terminal.

chipxsd

chipxsd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I found a shell command which can work with the keychain - I forgot what's it called, but it exists. Maybe we can use it to get the password which is stored in the keychain, so there wouldn't be no need to enter it manually.

But as consolation said, a fix is already on it's way. Is there a release date for the 10.5.1 update?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy