[How To]Atheros AR5212 based cards, now w/ Leopard

consolation

384 posts in this topic

Thanks for the quick reply.

the Linksys wmp300n :

14e4:4329

I just rewrote the script again and rebooted then went into network and it said new port and Viola I had it working.

I cannot get the 14e4:4329 device to work in Uphuck's 10.4.9 r1.3 in either my hp a6040n, Core 2 Dup 1.86GHZ, 945G chipset nor my HP m9040n Quad Core 2.4GHZ G33 chipset.

It does work in Jas 10.4.8.

Thanks again for the quick reply, I also repled to the other post you replied to.

WIll a MAC Airport Wireless Thumbdrive work on a PC with hackintosh?

Netgear WG311T PCI

Have edited according to post #1.

Unable to boot into GUI. Booting stopped after the following message:

AirPort_Ahr5424ab: Ethernet address 00:18:4d:77:c5:d2

Light on card continues to flash...Any idea? Thank you

Edit:

Have just installed the PCI card on a 10.4.8 system...

Recognized as Airport without problem.

Anyone can help with 10.4.10? Thank you!

Replace the /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext from .10 with the one from .8; now that you mention it, I copied mine over when I upgraded to .10 (so I wouldn't have to re-edit), works fine. Then, follow instructions in first post. Make sure you fix the permissions up.

• 2 weeks later...
Have just installed the PCI card on a 10.4.8 system...

Recognized as Airport without problem.

Some of these cards will work right out of box, but, without the edit they will be recognised as Airport not Airport Extreme. Airport will only give you "b," if you want "g" you need to edit.

i can't get it to work in leopard.

after adding the line in the info.plist the card is recognized as airport and it even shows the available networks, but when i try to connect to a network the whole os freezes and i gotta press the reset button.

does anybody else get this behavior?

is there a fix for it?

thanks in advance.

se_dony

i can't get it to work in leopard.

after adding the line in the info.plist the card is recognized as airport and it even shows the available networks, but when i try to connect to a network the whole os freezes and i gotta press the reset button.

does anybody else get this behavior?

is there a fix for it?

thanks in advance.

se_dony

I just had the same thing happen on another computer that used to work w/ 4.10. I will have a play around when I get back to mine. It was working for a while at least.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. We might need to copy an older framework. There seems to be quite a few ppl having this problem, not just with atheros cards. I'll try to mix and match some bits in the weekend if I get the time; new baby and all that, hasn't left me a lot of time to muck around with computers....

ok. i tried the versions that i thought might work:

10.4.5 version: doesn't work (not recognized) (this version worked before in tiger 10.4.9)

10.4.8 version: recognized but i can't turn it on in the preferences pane (the entry in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist is also correct)

10.5.0 version: recognized but os freezes if i try to connect to a network

if anybody has a working configuration (maybe some additional framework that needs to be changed)

it would be great if it gets posted so others can try it out.

thanks in advance

For Leopard 10.5:

I use orignal IO80211Family.kext, but after editing Info.plist, I removed all Code* files from the directory, and from the main kext directory.

Everything work fine :)

--- HW ---

Atheros 5212 PCI:168c,1014

IBM Thinkpad T60

For Leopard 10.5:

I use orignal IO80211Family.kext, but after editing Info.plist, I removed all Code* files from the directory, and from the main kext directory.

Everything work fine ;)

--- HW ---

Atheros 5212 PCI:168c,1014

IBM Thinkpad T60

Can anyone confirm that? Using that edit I get system lockup when I turn AP on. If it works for others I'll add it to the first post.

I'm wondering if we are not bumping into Apple's code signing as per here. Some components won't run because they detect that the new kext has been altered. Just a wild guess at this stage...

I just went to the store and picked up a Netgear WG311T, followed this guide, and I am working (using Leopard 10.5)

I can even connect to secured networks (currently connected to a WEP network submitting this post)

I'm not sure how though - If there's anything I can do to help so other people can connect to secured networks please let me know.

I'm using a modified 10.4.8 kext that I got from the official apple.com patch

Thanks,

good luck.

Same thing happens to me with Leo - the whole computer freezes, even my keyboard doesn't respond afterwards (caps lock...).

I edited the /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext, and added the <string>pci168c,13</string> line. AirPort is recognized, OS X even finds the access points around me, but as soon as I enter the WPA password (which is requested by my home access point), and hit the 'connect' button, the whole system freezes.

My TL-WN651g works well in 10.4.8 (and even 10.4.9 and 10.4.10 using the 10.4.8's IO80211Family.kext), but no luck in 10.5. If I try to overwrite the Leopard's IO80211Family.kext with the 10.4.8's one, system complains it's not a valid kext installation. I change the ownership, run the repairPermissions and delete the kext cache, but it still complains.

How did you guys managed to get the TL-WN651g working in Leopard 10.5?

Same thing happens to me with Leo - the whole computer freezes, even my keyboard doesn't respond afterwards (caps lock...).

I edited the /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext, and added the <string>pci168c,13</string> line. AirPort is recognized, OS X even finds the access points around me, but as soon as I enter the WPA password (which is requested by my home access point), and hit the 'connect' button, the whole system freezes.

My TL-WN651g works well in 10.4.8 (and even 10.4.9 and 10.4.10 using the 10.4.8's IO80211Family.kext), but no luck in 10.5. If I try to overwrite the Leopard's IO80211Family.kext with the 10.4.8's one, system complains it's not a valid kext installation. I change the ownership, run the repairPermissions and delete the kext cache, but it still complains.

How did you guys managed to get the TL-WN651g working in Leopard 10.5?

At the top of the guide it says if you use Leopard you need to download the Mac OSX 10.4.8 update from Apple:

NOTE

For use with 10.4.10+/10.5 you need to copy the kext from one of the previous versions. You can get it easily by downloading Apple's 10.4.8 update, then using Pacifist to extract the IO80211Family.kext

I did that, then did all of the edits to THAT kext, and everything works for me.

Let me know how it turns out.

neikous: that's what I did, but the system complained the kext wasn't installed properly. But then I tried the chown again, like cyclonefr said, and it actually worked :)

But there's this other problem now :D I can't use the WPA encryption - doesn't matter if I type the right password or not, it doesn't let me connect to it: "Connect failed". But if I connect to my neighbor's router (which doesn't use any encryption) it let's me in.

OK, this is getting a bit confused now. I have two Leo partitions - one is my main one which was an upgrade install from 4.10, the other is my "stunt" partiton that was a clean install. The upgrade one works with 10.4.8 kext only but can't log into WPA, only WEP or open. The clean install works with 10.5 kext but will often (but, not always) freeze when joining a network (only open ones work sometimes), 10.4.8 only gives me access to open (non-encrypted) networks reliably.

Tonight, I will try to copy some older bits from tiger, see if I can make it run this way. My problem is that I no longer have .4.x system to play with. So, if anyone who still has tiger could post which kexts and frameworks are loaded when running wireless on WPA2 network. At least we will know where to start looking for trouble...

I don't know if anyone has posted this but I might have found a solution to the freezing up issue in Leopard. I am running the Leopard flat image and everything was up and running on boot except for my wireless. I decided that since it worked with the IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.5 in Uphuck verison 10.4.9 then it should work on Leopard. I followed your instructions for installing that and also trying the one from 10.4.8 to no avail it found the card but it would not turn on so I edited my leopard kext instead by adding my vid and did 168c:1b and once I changed the permission using the provided dmg file (yes I am lazy :( ) and rebooted. I went to turn on the airport and bam it froze and after many attempts I finally got it to work.........the solution..... I took all other device ids and only left mine in there and it worked fine after that in fact I am posting on Leopard! Thanks for your help Consolation. Please update your first post to reflect my findings and if you want to give me credit that would be cool but not needed.