[How To]Atheros AR5212 based cards, now w/ Leopard

consolation

384 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I had a heck of a time getting this going, until I discovered that my device id 1014. I added that to the kext, and it came up strait away.

I had the AR5212 on an IBM T42p.

It does have some connection issues on boot, but once you get it going, it works fine.

Ok i got my DWL 520 rev b working (AR5213) thanks to all you guys, but i got a slight problem, the card will sometimes stop working, it will show its still connected, but it doesnt work, it wont do anything, the only way to get it working again is to reboot the pc. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Has anyone got their AR5212 wifi chip working with snow leopard? I am thinking about installing snow leopard but if my wireless won't work its kind of pointless.

Also does anyone know how to make this kext 64 Bit because from what I have read if you use a 32 bit kext in snow leopard you can't boot with the 64 bit kernel. I don't know how complicated it is do something like this, just wondering...

Good news: The AR5212 (TP-Link TL-WN651G) work native without edit the IO80211Family.kext as Airport in SnowLeopard in WPA2 mode!

But only in 32bit mode, in 64bit it's not recognized.

Yes, this is good news! But this KEXT-(v.3.0) is not working in LEOPARD ...

With 64-bit mode is the result?

Hello,

i've a DWL G520 Rev.B too, I made all that you have say in this topic and my wireless card isn't recognised by my system.

info:

OSX version : iAtkos v7 10.5.7

Processeur : E6600

Carte Mere : P5N32E Sli plus

Memoire : DDR2 800 2go (2*1)

Type de disque dur : the system is installed on a old IDE HD, i ll remplace this one next week

Taille du disque dur : 80go

Carte graphique : 9800GTX+

Carte reseau / Carte WIFI : D-Link Airplus DWL-G520 (rev.:lol:

drop me a line please !

Thks

Hello,

i've a DWL G520 Rev.B too, I made all that you have say in this topic and my wireless card isn't recognised by my system.

Carte reseau / Carte WIFI : D-Link Airplus DWL-G520 (rev.:)

drop me a line please !

Thks

Atheros AR5212 chip?

• 3 weeks later...

Perfect! Now writing from safari and "some dirty" Leopard 10.5.8. Update installing a sparseimage to other partition -guid table- of my old and one exit retail install -almost i forget like i did it! was update to 10.5.2- using "combo" from apple...at this moment, after put some kext for my GA-P35-DQ6 from Ls8v17 seems like before...and now with my atheros working.

Thanks for that .kext ;)

Maybe in advanced try to install SL, but still not update to new x86 scene, with cameleon, "boot" that not found grub menu.lst, DSDL...too dates! too dates! But fascinating. Thks again sliptees!

PD:Sorry my ever poor english.

Perfect! Now writing from safari and "some dirty" Leopard 10.5.8. Update installing a sparseimage to other partition -guid table- of my old and one exit retail install -almost i forget like i did it! was update to 10.5.2- using "combo" from apple...at this moment, after put some kext for my GA-P35-DQ6 from Ls8v17 seems like before...and now with my atheros working.

Thanks for that .kext ;)

Maybe in advanced try to install SL, but still not update to new x86 scene, with cameleon, "boot" that not found grub menu.lst, DSDL...too dates! too dates! But fascinating. Thks again sliptees!

PD:Sorry my ever poor english.

What s your wireless card please ?

Good news: The AR5212 (TP-Link TL-WN651G) work native without edit the IO80211Family.kext as Airport in SnowLeopard in WPA2 mode!

But only in 32bit mode, in 64bit it's not recognized.

Did you get it working?

For me it appears natively recognised (as an option), but my mac address is 00:00:00:00:00:00 - PCI card is not detected.

I am using 10.6.0, Tseug vanilla install method, booting in 32bit mode. Have tried the dirty old 10.4.8 kext trick, also modifying the 10.6.0 kext with no success.

Any tips?

edited

I have similar problem. I have installed 10.5.6 and it recognizes and uses my WG311T with AR5212 (pci168c,0013) but when i install snow leopard, it will recognize the card and try to use it but it will not find any networks. I have removed preferences and tried the IO80211family.kext from my working leopard and i get the exact same problem. Any ideas anyone? thanks

An update on my progress for those interested....

Standard SL kext wasn't working for me (as per previous posts). After hours of googling, in an unrelated wireless thread on another board, I found a post from PCWiz suggesting that for wireless to work in SL, the card had to be in PCI slot #2. I moved the card over and straight away it worked(ish!)....

...I already had a modified SL kext in /S/L/E, which had all the other card ID's removed (as we have had to do for 10.5 to work). I replaced this with the original SL kext and rebooted. Couldnt turn AP on. Clicking ON didn't do anything. Went back to my modified kext and it was working again - slightly different results to F-Didi...

Problem is that, after about 2 minutes, my connection dies. Network utility lists Recv errors counting up 2 or 3 per second until I turn airport off. Can turn it on again and get another 2 minutes (repeat, repeat etc). Noticed this in console:

Sep 26 15:13:11 juuvas-s-Mac-Pro mDNSResponder[38]: Note: RegisterInterface: Frequent transitions for interface en0 (192.168.1.7); network traffic reduction measures in effect

Trying to work on a solution at the moment. I'd be welcome if someone beat me to it!!!

:rolleyes:

EDIT:

Fixed my particular issue..

Delete:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.network.identification.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

Reboot

Open network preferences, and create a new location (this is important). I just called it the default untitled.

Re enter all wireless info.

Works on 10.6.1, using standard 6.1 kexts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

WITH 10.4.x

Checked with 10.4.8/.9, gives you a 100% airport extreme experience. :P

For use with 10.4.10+ you need to copy the kext from one of the previous versions. You can get it easily by downloading Apple's 10.4.8 update, then using Pacifist to extract the IO80211Family.kext

WITH 10.5.x

Using the 10.4.8 kext with Leopard gives you a working airport extreme, but only for WEP or open networks. WPA is proving a bit belligerent, you can connect to wpa2/wpa networks using the "chipxsd method" described at the end of this post. Editing the 10.5 kext can lock up your system when trying to use your airport. Feedback would be greatly appreciated if you have found a way, or even if you tried and failed.

Leopard "instructions" after the Tiger ones.

Hey Guys, I am relatively new here, but i',m following this site for a couple of weeks now. i love this website, really, really helpful.

I got a Compaq EVO n610c notebook, i succesfully hacked up the 10.5.6 Leo onto it. I have a 3com PCMCIA wifi card with the Ateros (AR5212) chipset. Took me 4 day i managed it to work, but as i followed the instructions, (edited the 168c,13) finally it is working but only with KisMac. Airport sign ha sappeared up in the status bar, but can't see any wifi networks. KisMac can. If i edit the /preferences/networkinterfaces.plist, i can see networks with airport, but when i try to connect, the whole system freeze.

Does anyone has the same experiences?

Great UP for this website :)

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Im real stuck. Im a complete idiot with the iAktos and all. My Mate helped me install iAktos 5i and all is good but my wireless. We've tried doing this method but with no luck.

The wireless card is the TP-LINK TL-WN551G

Could someone upload some kexts or instructions for an idiot as Im just to mac as I just sold my MacBook so need my internet up ASAP.

Thanks in Advance

• 2 months later...
Netgear WG311T PCI

Have edited according to post #1.

Unable to boot into GUI. Booting stopped after the following message:

AirPort_Ahr5424ab: Ethernet address 00:18:4d:77:c5:d2

Light on card continues to flash...Any idea? Thank you

Edit:

Have just installed the PCI card on a 10.4.8 system...

Recognized as Airport without problem.

Anyone can help with 10.4.10? Thank you!

Can you please help me to install this card WPN-311 to work with OSX 10.4.8 please? :P

This method works for my Netgear WG311 (first revision), WG311T and WPN311...

Thanks....

Can you please help me on how to get it to work? with the WPN311 adapter? How do I edit kexts and stuff like that in Mac?

WITH 10.4.x

Checked with 10.4.8/.9, gives you a 100% airport extreme experience. :)

For use with 10.4.10+ you need to copy the kext from one of the previous versions. You can get it easily by downloading Apple's 10.4.8 update, then using Pacifist to extract the IO80211Family.kext

WITH 10.5.x

Using the 10.4.8 kext with Leopard gives you a working airport extreme, but only for WEP or open networks. WPA is proving a bit belligerent, you can connect to wpa2/wpa networks using the "chipxsd method" described at the end of this post. Editing the 10.5 kext can lock up your system when trying to use your airport. Feedback would be greatly appreciated if you have found a way, or even if you tried and failed.

10.4 up to 10.4.8

Manufacturer ID: 168c

Device ID: 0013

(168c:0013)

Edit:

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/Info.plist

from

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

change to

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci168c,13</string>

if your manufacturer & Device ID are different, just change the line to

<string>pci{man ID,Dev ID}</string>

Then

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

(Or, use the script in the attached .dmg file if you can't be bothered cleaning up permissions by hand)

Reboot...

and voil� detected as an airport extreme card :)

LEOPARD INSTRUCTIONS:

The previous kext method:

For use with 10.5 you need to copy the kext from one of the previous versions. You can get it easily by downloading Apple's 10.4.8 update, then using Pacifist to extract the IO80211Family.kext

Edit the kext as per the Tiger instructions above...

(Thanks Eclau.)

The new kext method

For 10.5, follow the same procedure, but edit the System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext

warning:

With Leopard kexts a lot of computers get this problem -consider it a "work in progress." This seems to help in some cases:

Connecting to WPA/WPA2 in 10.5

To connect to WPA/WPA2 networks follow this guide (thanks chipsxd). Your airport icon in the task bar may or may not work, and, you might get an error at the end of the steps - BUT you will be connected to the network

A little tip to make life easier. under /system/library/CoreServices is the Network Diagnostics.app. Drag it onto your dock and use it to connect - saves a few clicks

To make it connect automatically at login:

Use chipxsd's script from here

or:

Note: if you get these symptoms:

Then

(Thanks thew.)

THANK you so much it worked for my netgear wmn-311 I am so happy lol Thank you dude you helped me out so much.!

WITH 10.4.x

Checked with 10.4.8/.9, gives you a 100% airport extreme experience. :D

WITH 10.5.x

10.4 up to 10.4.8

Manufacturer ID: 168c

Device ID: 0013

(168c:0013)

Edit:

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/Info.plist

from

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

change to

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci168c,13</string>

if your manufacturer & Device ID are different, just change the line to

<string>pci{man ID,Dev ID}</string>

Then

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

(Or, use the script in the attached .dmg file if you can't be bothered cleaning up permissions by hand)

Reboot...

and voil� detected as an airport extreme card ;)

LEOPARD INSTRUCTIONS:

The previous kext method:

For use with 10.5 you need to copy the kext from one of the previous versions. You can get it easily by downloading Apple's 10.4.8 update, then using Pacifist to extract the IO80211Family.kext

Edit the kext as per the Tiger instructions above...

(Thanks Eclau.)

The new kext method

For 10.5, follow the same procedure, but edit the System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext

warning:

With Leopard kexts a lot of computers get this problem -consider it a "work in progress." This seems to help in some cases:

Connecting to WPA/WPA2 in 10.5

To connect to WPA/WPA2 networks follow this guide (thanks chipsxd). Your airport icon in the task bar may or may not work, and, you might get an error at the end of the steps - BUT you will be connected to the network

A little tip to make life easier. under /system/library/CoreServices is the Network Diagnostics.app. Drag it onto your dock and use it to connect - saves a few clicks

To make it connect automatically at login:

Use chipxsd's script from here

or:

Note: if you get these symptoms:

Then

(Thanks thew.)

If anyone has the Netgear WMN-311 wifi adapter and needs help installing it let me know and I will help you. :P