Fujitsu T-421X TabletPC

135 posts in this topic

You gotta copy your plist to desktop, edit it and copy back entering your user password.

TabletMagic ids the tablet as "sd fallback" meaning it's a default for all unsupported tablets. It's not usable as the mapping is stuffed.

Scottie claims that as soon as we get the serial side working and submit the log file of the debug version - he will add proper support in a new release.

Sorry, i haven't had enough time for any of this but it looks like now it will finally happen

Here is the driver i wrote (it is still sort of a work in progress). Make sure you have the serial port for the digitizer detected first.

Place kkTabletDaemonStartupitem in /library/startupitems

reboot

Enjoy and let me know if it works ok for you guys.

Hi Khashoggi, my name is Scott Lahteine and I'm the author of TabletMagic. I just downloaded the file you posted here and it's clearly based on TabletMagic (build 1.16 from 2004). Given that you've only modified TabletMagic to support another digitizer your statement "That's why I wrote my own driver" seems rather disingenuous.

While I appreciate the spirit of your intent in sharing your additions, I wish you'd be completely straight-up about where your work comes from and credit me properly when posting derivations and extensions of my project. Since you've obviously made some of you own changes to the project code and publicized them here you also have an obligation to contribute your changes to the TabletMagic project as specified in the GPL license.

I've spent several years on this project, and it's unpleasant to see my name on a product which I didn't sanction and haven't reviewed. You should have gotten in touch with me and told me about your work and your intentions.

So I'm very interested to see the changes you've made in support of this digitizer. You can contact me directly using the email address posted at http://thinkyhead.com/support.php or through the TabletMagic project site at http://sourceforge.net/projects/tabletmagic/

Thank you!

Scott, your way out of line... and really, I don't have time to argue with you over your response. I mentioned I looked at tablet magic to look at your tablet protocols, but had to start over. But I have removed my driver to make you happy because it was not my intention to aggravate you... Let us all know when tablet magic works on the hackintosh tablets.

Khashoggi, please. If I'm going to get TabletMagic working on "hackintosh" tablets I need help from people who have access to such hardware. I don't have the time, the money, or access to this hardware. So please don't patronize me and go running off. You could be very helpful.

I looked through the file you posted, and here are the facts. It has my name in it. It has the build revision number 1.16 in it. It has my copyright notice in it. It has the text "/Users/kk/Desktop/Tabletmagic/TabletMagic Source/TabletMagicDaemon" in it. That's your home folder - "kk" - right? And it clearly indicates that you built the project inside a folder on your desktop named "TabletMagic Source." If you "had to start over" none of this stuff would be in the binary at all, would it?

So, you need to explain what you mean by calling me "way out of line." If I'm "way out of line" does that mean I'm misinterpreting or lying about the contents of the file you posted?

I appreciate that you removed the file from download, but that's not what I asked for. You may have only removed it so others will not examine its contents as I have. In any case, that's the appearance created by your hasty removal of the file.

Look, don't be so silly. You made a mistake out of pride or ego or whatever. I'm a forgiving person. All I asked was that you contact me and share your contributions to the project. If you have something of value to share, please swallow your pride, admit your mistake, and share.

Meanwhile, I have taken the liberty of reposting the "Khashoggi Tablet Daemon.zip" file so that others may continue to appreciate the fruits of our collaboration.

But I advise anyone who uses this daemon to use it with caution, for reasons which should be obvious.

Khashoggi_Tablet_Daemon.zip

I apologize for pressing you so hard to be honest. But honesty really is the best policy, even if you find it embarrassing.

Anyone who cares to examine the file I just posted will find that it is not a driver you created from scratch, but a custom-built version of TabletMagic.

Edited by Scott Lahteine

Since the driver is - as you say - completely your own original work, I am confused as to why you didn't leave it posted for everyone to see and just tell me I was wrong. Had you left your driver posted here, that would have been all the --->PROOF<--- anyone would require.

By removing your original posted driver you unfortunately destroyed your case. And when you say you "I might have shown you PROOF" (if not for your indignation).... well, it comes across as a transparent way of justifying keeping the proof (that you don't really have) to yourself. It would be more convincing if you just repost your driver (quickly, before it looks like you modified it to conceal its origin!) and stand your ground.

[ EDIT: Ah, I see you've reposted the file. Cool. That's a start, thank you! ]

Frankly, I don't think I'm doing too much harm here by pursuing this issue. I'm sure you'd do the same thing (more aggressively I gather) if someone posted a file they attributed as their own original work and you discovered that your intellectual property was being used without attribution.

So try to relax, if you can. I will be totally happy to apologize if I'm wrong. I'd even come meet you in person and kiss your feet if you require it!

All I ask is that you please explain - in the simplest and color-free manner possible please - how my name and the rest of the TabletMagic data ended up inside the driver you posted.

And please understand that I love you, and I only want to get past this unfortunate misunderstanding and be friends. It's souls like yours that affect me most deeply.

Thanks!

Edited by Scott Lahteine

Again, I apologize that my postings have felt insulting to you. I may have jumped the gun, but I forgive myself. I hope you can appreciate that I haven't directly insulted you, called you names, asked people to slap you, and all the kind of stuff you've liberally typed at me. After all, I don't know at all what sort of person you are, do I?

Hey, I may be confused, I may be wrong, but you must be able to understand why I'm just not convinced yet. So please help me to understand my error!

Why not zip up your XCode project and send it to me so I can see for myself? I will sign any NDA you require, and since TabletMagic is totally open source, there's no way I could use your code without your knowing it, so there's really no risk.

Anyhow, I don't use REALbasic at all now. Back in 2004 it was a helpful way to prototype the driver. Lately I've been getting more into Cocoa, which is how I built the Preference Pane for the current version of TabletMagic. I'm looking forward to using Cocoa a lot more, it's very nice to use.

But you must know I didn't use REALbasic to build the daemon. The daemon is written in C++ and was included in the early versions of TabletMagic in the aforementioned "TabletMagic Source" folder - the one that appears to have been on your desktop when the daemon you posted was built.

By the way, this has been a very rewarding exchange, especially if I'm wrong. I definitely prefer to be corrected when I get something wrong, rather than languishing in foolishness.

So thank you for taking part in this fabulous exchange!

But wait, that's just incorrect.

The file you posted, and I reposted, is not a REALbasic binary. It's a binary produced by XCode, and it's a daemon of the sort that can not be made in REALbasic.

So, are you just humoring me now, or is this your final statement?

Hey, what do you know, i'm awake for a new day.

Scott, check you mail.

As far as you argument goes... I don't know - I think noone really cares except for you guys :)

Scott will always remain a TabletMagic dude. Noone takes that away from him.

Khashoggi "modified existing/coded his own on the basis" driver with no proper support for calibration/writing recognition/many other things so his work is a temporary hack.

The final word is after Scottie, so the argument doesn't really make sense.

Just to let mere mortals know how the progress is going:

To get some basic functionality out of your Tablet PC Digitizer do the following(no garranites though):

Go into Windows Device Manager and into you digitizer's driver -> go into the Details tab -> Copy this 8/7 character string before the slash.

Edit info.plist:

/system/library/extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/Info.plist

change IONameMatch string:

PNP0501 to whatever your 8/7 character string is.

eg for T Series Fujitsu it is FUJ02E5

or for HP TC4200 it is WACF006

Clear kext caches by removing the following files:

/system/library/Extensions.kextcache

/system/library/Extensions.mkext

Download Khashoggi's temporary driver from a few posts up.

Copy kkTabletDaemonStartupitem from the downloaded archive to /library/startupitems

Reboot

Edited by paringas

I wonder, does the driver actually need to be installed to see the pointer move? I'm curious because Apple has rudimentary ADB support for older powerbook touch pads, and it would be cool if they had rudimentary serial support too.

I wonder, does the driver actually need to be installed to see the pointer move? I'm curious because Apple has rudimentary ADB support for older powerbook touch pads, and it would be cool if they had rudimentary serial support too.

Sorry, Scott, I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.