3D Destkop for OSX

OSO

41 posts in this topic

WTF????

Moonislune: yhXDEV ASKED specifically if it is possible to use Compiz/Beryl (and therefore confirmed that this is indeed Beryl). Can't you read?

To favalessa: please follow some english course or something. Because not only don't you understand wtf is going on in this thread. I can't understand what the hell you're writing either.

And to all those other morons. Who the hell cares if the picture is photoshopped (and how bad it is done). It's the idea that counts. In this case yhXDEV made at least an effort of how it could/would look on OSX.

The question however remains. And nobody answered yhXDEV's genuine question. Djeez. What a bunch of xxxx.

To yhXDEV: Have you tried to compile it? I think other linux window managers can be ported to OSX as OSX also has X11 (if you installed it in the first place). I guess everyone who knows how to get OpenOffice running on OSX might at least know how to install X11. I've seen TWM on OSX. I think Gnome is ported too. It might work. The problem is that you need to install X-code as that contains the C-compiler needed to compile the stuff. I don't know if that is still free. It was included on former OSX DVD's though.

And offcourse we'd have to know whether OSX OpenGL implementation is compatible (or has the same program-calls) as the Linux version (which I frankly doubt). Because most of these other Linux-WM can use the framebuffer as output device while Beryl specifically uses OpenGL acceleration. Do we have the source code to Apple's OGL? Or is that also forbidden territory?

Edited by EPDM

And offcourse we'd have to know whether OSX OpenGL implementation is compatible (or has the same program-calls) as the Linux version (which I frankly doubt). Because most of these other Linux-WM can use the framebuffer as output device while Beryl specifically uses OpenGL acceleration. Do we have the source code to Apple's OGL? Or is that also forbidden territory?
You don't need the source code for jack. OpenGL is the same base set of everything, barring extensions.

What you need is some sort of access to manipulate window shape, movement, access, etc. For systems where X.org is the primary display system this is provided by AIGLX, Xgl, etc. which are extensions that allow managers like Compiz, Beryl, and Metisse to manage windows as OpenGL textures.

In OS X, it's different and I don't know what the interface is, where to access it, or anything like that. It exists, of course (which is what things like Exposé utilize), and if I remember correctly Apple does use OpenGL as the way to pull it off. However, you'll likely have to find undocumented API hooks and such to get at it (which is how CGSSetWindowWarp was discovered. And by the way, that one simple function is still vastly underexploited. If I ever get any free time, I'd totally mess with it).

WTF????

Moonislune: yhXDEV ASKED specifically if it is possible to use Compiz/

Beryl (and therefore confirmed that this is indeed Beryl). Can't you

read?

To favalessa: please follow some english course or something. Because

not only don't you understand wtf is going on in this thread. I can't

understand what the hell you're writing either.

And to all those other morons. Who the hell cares if the picture is

photoshopped (and how bad it is done). It's the idea that counts. In

this case yhXDEV made at least an effort of how it could/would look

on OSX.

The question however remains. And nobody answered yhXDEV's genuine

question. Djeez. What a bunch of xxxx.

To yhXDEV: Have you tried to compile it? I think other linux window

managers can be ported to OSX as OSX also has X11 (if you installed

it in the first place). I guess everyone who knows how to get

OpenOffice running on OSX might at least know how to install X11.

I've seen TWM on OSX. I think Gnome is ported too. It might work.

The problem is that you need to install X-code as that contains the C-

compiler needed to compile the stuff. I don't know if that is still

free. It was included on former OSX DVD's though.

And offcourse we'd have to know whether OSX OpenGL implementation is

compatible (or has the same program-calls) as the Linux version

(which I frankly doubt). Because most of these other Linux-WM can use

the framebuffer as output device while Beryl specifically uses OpenGL

acceleration. Do we have the source code to Apple's OGL? Or is that

also forbidden territory?

Dear EPDM ,

I agree 100% about your opinion on my english writing and understood

level..

I noticed that you aren't very carefully on reading this thread , in

fact you haven't seen my apologise on post #20 , and this is very

conflicting for what you have posted.

I'm italian , and I'm not able (money speaking..) to get an english

course for myself.I live with the idea in my mind that for my

everiday tasks, tapping on my keyboard here and there on various

forums is a good way for improving my general culture.

I am not an informatic guru and I am not a university degree

professor english mothertongue even.

Unfortunately for a bad illness I got serious problem about keep

control of my body and my hands especially , so the keyboard is not

my friend.

I got the luck of using that big awesome stuff called "the net" ; for

person like me it's something "effective" as a boost improvement in

everidaylife!!Believe me..

So keep in mind that I'm very sorry for my bad mistakes in writing posts.

Even KEEP IN MIND : pay attention and get respect for persons which

you don't know.I hope you will understand something.

Sorry for my poor english , sorry for this little OT.

Edited by favalessa

as said tooooooooooooooooooons of times(that demostrates that the search engine is never used and full of dust), macosX renders the desktop on the same(well, almost) way that aiglx does: with an indirect acceleration, so the problem is not there. compiz/beryl is a window manager, that belongs to Xorg+gtk. macosX uses quartz+core image to accomplish the duty, and the API is totally different.

that said, there's a good effort to do a 3d window manager: virtue desktop (google for it). it manages mltiple desktops and has 3d rotations as well.

the above image is a fake as already stated, as a simple recompile it's not enough.

now, stop bashing for a stupid language challenge

• 1 month later...

I have some experience with Compiz and Beryl. It is a set of "effects" for Linux (sort of) that gives you a 3D desktop environment. It is very possible that the image is not photoshopped, and the person who took the screen has AA disabled for performance purposes.

However, I have never heard of anyone running it on a Mac. Also, it is very possible that they are using one of the many mac like themes for Linux. :P

The best bang for the buck has to be Desktop Manager. It is free, always the nice price, and you can rotate desktops like a cube, or other effects.

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/Desktop-Manager.shtml

Here is a preview

http://desktopmanager.berlios.de/videos/Cube.mov

Enjoy

Boris

thanks for the tip, I found a universal binary of desktopmanager on this forum: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...topmanager+0.60

it's really kewl, if you have an Apple Remote, then you can make your desktop spin with your Apple Remote if you use the program Remote Buddy and configure it to work with DesktopManager ;)

Hey,

I checked out Beryl with a Knoppix-Distri and hmm... it is not that stable. Overall it works well but it glitched one time here, so imho it is still kinda beta. Also it has some probs with my geforce (ok thats not the fault of beryl, but knoppix). I dunno sh*t about Linux but as far as I can tell it uses this X-Server thing that looks like black-white Apple-Lisa from 1981 when Beryl loads.

I think it would be more easy* for a developer, to use the Quartz engine. i mean everything you see in Beryl is possible in OS X for ages, it is really no biggie. Some tools do the same effects so i think it is just a matter of time until someone comes up with a nice desktop extension that will give you these effects. It is all there, it just needs to get glued together to a single application.

*and by easy I mean easy for an expert geek developer :)

• 3 weeks later...

about running compiz in the "standard" os x enviroment (like the finder, the i-apps, final cut…): at least for now, forget it, it is a totally different environment and the program should be revritten almost from scratch.

in X11, under leopard, it could be possibile (and i saw a project some months ago that claimed that they had 50% done it… whatever they mean…), but a lot of code should be (and, probably, will be) rewritten anyway: the os x's X11 is different, it is not the same that run on linux.

for example, the linux version relies a lot on the "virtual terminals" embedded in the os, which has no correspondence on os x.

that's why the darwin version of X11 is always a bit older than the linux one…

anyway, i'm sure that, one day, it will happen: we'll have compiz running on our X11s…and we will say «and now?» :)

The best bang for the buck has to be Desktop Manager. It is free, always the nice price, and you can rotate desktops like a cube, or other effects.

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/Desktop-Manager.shtml

Here is a preview

http://desktopmanager.berlios.de/videos/Cube.mov

I just downloaded this program, it is fantastic.

Thanks for the pointer.