My budget PC, please let me know what you think

15 posts in this topic

I'm going to build a budget PC with old part since I have found some interesting stuff.

First of all I'm going to get this motherboard. A AsRock 775I65G.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...st=pricegrabber

A Celeron D processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819112207

I have 512 megabytes of DDR ram by Corsair.

I have a 80 gigabyte hard drive with 8 megabytes of cache by Western Digital

I have a Geforce 6600 GT AGP by PNY

What do you guys think? I'll only have to spend about a 100 dollars and I should be set.

NEVER get a celeron. you should've gotten a cheap Pentium 4 or cheap Pentium D. and with that low end processor, and 512mb ram, XP is gonna eat it all away. With iTunes, xfire, AIM, and 2 tabs in firefox, I'm using about 510MB RAM. Not to mention my proccessor is on the 15%+ side. however, I do think i have a virus eating at this machine :\

I gotta agree with Lkr here. A Celeron processor is VERY risky, even for a budget pc. I once got a celeron for my parents' pc (They used to be on a PIII) and it was quite sluggish on XP. Newegg is THE place to shop for parts but even buying from them cannot justify the buying of a celeron.

If you are willing to spend just $30 more, check this out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819116215

Personally I would take even the barton you mentioned over the celeron.

Edit: Oh {censored}, I just read that you already bought the processor...well you could always run linux and get the most performance :( .

Edited by Delfire

Hey, your budget PC is pretty good!

The most important thing is that the Celeron-D is SSE-3 because that allows you to run 10.4.8 with titan/natit.

But I'm pretty sure it is.

As for RAM usage, a very good windows version with regards to that is TinyXP rev 05. I've used it on and old celeron (P4 2400) and 384mb of Ram, and it worked a LOT better than normal xp. It's been reduced with a tool called nLite.

And in OS X , disable the Dashboard to free up some RAM, you should be good!

Why do people buy a celeron ? All of you know it is a peace of :) and it has a l2 low memory chase..

I just do not get the people..

Probably because it's cheap and has SSE3. Great cheap setup for OSX86. The OS would love to have more ram though, and it's easier to add more just in case. I pretty much understand thricemike's reasoning for choosing those components.

The system installed perfectly and everything works!

Only thing that doesn't work is the main sound slider on the computer. I can change the volume via speakers.

Only OSX86 is installed, nothing else!

Edited by thricemike