Problems with setting up Windows + OSX Multiboot

4 posts in this topic

So my friends and I have been working on getting a multiboot setup working on our laptops. Theirs have worked as of yesterday, but mine still has some issues. Please fully read all my steps and such. I know it is long, but I have spent 100x as much time trying to get this to work as it will take you to read this post :thumbsup_anim:

Below are my laptop stats, steps I have taken and the problem at hand:

Laptop:

Dell Inspiron e1705

Core Duo 1.83 GHz

1 GB Ram

GeForce 7800 GS 256MB

100GB Hard Drive

Windows XP Media Center as first OS installed

Programs Used etc:

JaS OS 10.4.7 image

VMWare Workstation

Acronis Disk Director Suite

Daemon Tools

Steps I've Taken:

1) Used Acronis Disk Director to resize my Windows XP MC partition to allow for 15 GB of unallocated space.

2) Used Acronis to create a new partition in this 15GB space with type: Fat 32 and Primary (not logical)

3) Mounted the OS X image with Daemon tools onto Drive G

4) Created a new Virtual Machine in VMW, setting it to Windows NT as the OS type (I read in another guide I needed to do this because I was using a Core Duo processor, it would not work if I used FreeBSD as the type). Added the 15GB Partition (physical drive, not virtual) to the Virtual Machine's configuration while removing the old virtual drive place holder, and set the virtual CD Rom to exclusively use drive G.

5) Fired up the VM, went through the install process for OS X. Used the Disk Utility to "Erase" the data on the 15GB Partition, and change it to Macintosh Extended (Journaled) or whatever. This is where I think things get funky.

Before I Erased the data on the Partition with the Mac Disk Utility, I opened up Acronis to check what type it listed that 15GB partition as. It said Fat 32 at this point. After running the Disk Utility and erasing the data, the Partition has the following info: FS: None, Partition: 0xC (FAT32 LBA). I assume that I am doing something wrong here, because I have read the Partition type should be xAF as that is the identifier the corresponds with HSF+. Nonetheless, I allow the OS X installer to do it's business. More on this later...

6) Choose customize in the installer, unselecting the unnecissary packs and adding SSE3, the Intel patch, etc. From here I just let the installer finish, and a while later, everything seems to be in order.

7) Mac OS X (still in VMWare mind you) boots up for the first time. Everything appears to be in order, no serious issues. From here I decide to shut down VMWare and try to boot Natively into OS X. I shut down OS X within the VM, and restart my computer.

8) I forget if this came before or after step 7, but I used Acronis to recognize the new OS so that it would come up as a boot option. When I reboot, I select "Unrecognized OS" (which is where the OS X partition is located). Immediately I recieve a "HSF+ Partition Error" and the system hangs indefinately.

9) I try booting back into Windows XP, and it attempts to tell me that it needs to run a Disk check, which I cancel and boot into Windows normally.

10) I open up VMWare and try to restart the VM that I used to install OS X, and get an error with the Reason: The partition table has changed etc. Remove and reinstall the drive. This of course does not work, and the error doesn't go away.

11) Again I open Acronis and look at the info for the 15GB partition. It still says FS: None and Partition: 0xC (FAT 32 LBA).

This doesn't make much sense to me, since I was able to install and boot up OS X in VM, but it lists the file system and partition type as a completely incorrect type in Acronis.

12) Just for good measure I restarted again and let Windows do the Disk Check, and it still did not fix the problem (even though I assumed it wouldnt :rolleyes:).

So here I am, after fully installing OS X in VMWare, the Partition type seems incorrect and I only manage to get a HFS+ Partition Error.

Do you have any ideas on extra steps I should take, or things I did incorrectly? Any help here would be very appreciated, as I am running out of ideas and forums to scour. Thank you in advance

Yup, it has to a type Af, I tried without the Af did not recognize partition. I have the same setup as u, in terms of software, but hardware wise I have a different setup ..

I also had gotten the HSF + parition error, changed the partition to AF, worked beautifully.

Make sure you follow instructions given by wmarsh in the tutorial ssection ..

Good luck ^_^

Edited by J B