HOW TO: Installing 10.4.3 in VMWare

DeathChill

216 posts in this topic

Well, this is a short lesson on how to easily install 10.4.3 in VMWare!

Step 1: Install 10.4.1 in VMWare on a Virtual HDD at least 8 GB large. Boot up and set everything up as normal. Shut down the Virtual Machine.

Step 2: Click Edit Virtual Machine Settings and at the bottom of the window is the add button, select Add and choose Hard Drive. Make the hard drive large enough to fit 10.4.3 (around 5-6 GB is best).

Step 3: Create an ISO containing the DMG (Create an ISO that contains the DMG file! Do not convert the DMG to ISO!). I just use the Image Recorder feature in Nero and make a Data DVD. Download Daemon tools and select the ISO you just created as what the virtual drive will have mounted. Set the Virtual Machine to use that drive (in my case E:) as the CD rom drive.

Step 4: Boot up the Virtual Machine and Initialize the hard drive. Click open the CD on the desktop and copy over the DMG to your 10.4.1 HDD. Open it up, and navigate to /System/Installation/Packages/ and open up OSInstall.mpkg.

EDIT: Step 4 1/2: Copy over the ApplePS2Controller.kext and IOATAFamily.kext to the /System/Library/Extensions folder on your 10.4.3 HDD and repair permissions on the 10.4.3 HDD via your 10.4.1 Disk util.

Step 5: Install it onto the second Virtual HDD and once it finishes open up Terminal and type this:

sudo bless -folder9 /YOUR 10.4.3 HDD/System -setBoot

(e.g. sudo bless -folder9 /DeathChill/System -setBoot)

Step 6: Create a new virtual machine, use the custom settings and for the hard drive select to use an existing hard drive. Select the drive with 10.4.3 on it and you're done.

Unfortunately VMWare errors upon trying to boot 10.4.3 for some reason, but we believe it is caused by the kernel trying to access something in a way VMWare does not understand.

Thanks to Jtle for showing me the original idea and making me get off my butt to try it :D

Also, PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE MY ENTIRE LESSON TO SAY ONE THING.

Well, this is a short lesson on how to easily install 10.4.3 in VMWare!

Step 1: Install 10.4.1 in VMWare on a Virtual HDD at least 8 GB large. Boot up and set everything up as normal. Shut down the Virtual Machine.

Step 2: Click Edit Virtual Machine Settings and at the bottom of the window is the add button, select Add and choose Hard Drive. Make the hard drive large enough to fit 10.4.3 (around 5-6 GB is best).

Step 3: Create an ISO containing the DMG (Create an ISO that contains the DMG file! Do not convert the DMG to ISO!). I just use the Image Recorder feature in Nero and make a Data DVD. Download Daemon tools and select the ISO you just created as what the virtual drive will have mounted. Set the Virtual Machine to use that drive (in my case E:) as the CD rom drive.

Step 4: Boot up the Virtual Machine and Initialize the hard drive. Click open the CD on the desktop and copy over the DMG to your 10.4.1 HDD. Open it up, and navigate to /System/Installation/Packages/ and open up OSInstall.mpkg.

Step 5: Install it onto the second Virtual HDD and once it finishes open up Terminal and type this:

sudo bless -folder9 /YOUR 10.4.3 HDD/System -setBoot

(e.g. sudo bless -folder9 /DeathChill/System -setBoot)

Step 6: Create a new virtual machine, use the custom settings and for the hard drive select to use an existing hard drive. Select the drive with 10.4.3 on it and you're done.

Unfortunately VMWare errors upon trying to boot 10.4.3 for some reason, but we believe it is caused by the kernel trying to access something in a way VMWare does not understand.

Thanks to Jtle for showing me the original idea and making me get off my butt to try it :D

Someone has tried to run 10.4.3 successly ?. I've readed in several files and urls that isn't possible to update over 10.4.2 until present.

^^lmao, just can't help it.. :D^^

I assume you did all the installing to a real partition etc, attempts.. Is there an "sfsg" point to work from, or any suggestions as to what needs looking at?

Someone has tried to run 10.4.3 successly ?. I've readed in several files and urls that isn't possible to update over 10.4.2 until present.

Did you read this: "Also, PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE MY ENTIRE LESSON TO SAY ONE THING." :D

Snip your posts please. :)

deathchill;might be a stupid question, and i think it might have been answered before - but i assume some more want to know this? is *.4.3 worth installing (i mean the real leak, not the patch) - does it contain a new set of kexts, soundcards, wlan and most important graphics ( fixed nvidia/ati )

Did you read this: "Also, PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE MY ENTIRE LESSON TO SAY ONE THING." :rolleyes:

Snip your posts please. :)

He added that after i posted it. Casab has reason. If that than i did offend him, i apologize, but honestly i can't see the offense.

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE MY ENTIRE LESSON TO SAY ONE THING.

This needs to be a board rule!

Thanks for the quick how-to DC. About the error you mentioned. Do you think it is a vmw bios setting? I can't test it for another 6hrs or so. You pretty much are the front runner on this build. Do you have other tips we should watch for?

Regards

About the error you mentioned. Do you think it is a vmw bios setting? I can't test it for another 6hrs or so. You pretty much are the front runner on this build. Do you have other tips we should watch for?

I'm not sure about the error, I recall someone saying it happened with certain builds of Linux before so I can't say for sure what it is but I'm thinking it's something to do with the kernel but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Also, VMWare told me (via an error message) that when trying to boot the DVD it is told by the kernel to reboot the computer (it said a processor reset) so obviously the kernel is rebooting the computer when trying to boot. Still not sure why the installed version errors though.

I'm not sure about the error, I recall someone saying it happened with certain builds of Linux before so I can't say for sure what it is but I'm thinking it's something to do with the kernel but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Also, VMWare told me (via an error message) that when trying to boot the DVD it is told by the kernel to reboot the computer (it said a processor reset) so obviously the kernel is rebooting the computer when trying to boot. Still not sure why the installed version errors though.

In the error message that you showed in a previous post, VMware is erroring out in it's flashram.c module in line 52 i believe (if VMware were open source we could look at the code for that module at the line that it specifies and know what's happening), this is an indication to me that the 10.4.3 Guest OS is trying to access a flash ram device of some sort in the virtual machine, in fact it makes sense to me that this is probably where the kernel is quite possibly looking for a TPM chip at that point and VMware probably doesnt know how to deal with it. If I recall properly, I thought that TPM chips contained flash ram in them. If you search for part of your error in google (I believe i searched for "vmware flashram.c" as the keywords without the quotes), you'll see that this error does effect some linux distributions running as vmware guests, but different VMware builds do not exert this behavior with these same linux distros. Has anyone tried running this in VMware in a Windows (or Linux) host dual-booting on a real devkit? This would show if it is trying to hook any TPM related routines as VMware should be able to virtualize the real TPM chip and pass these routines to it. I think on machines that are lacking the TPM chip (non devkit systems) vmware does not have the real device to virtualize, and the OS see's this and gives up. Or the kernel is trying to write or read something to/from the VMware's CMOS ram and hanging. Have you tried older VMware versions, or other builds of version 5? Something else to look at in VMware would be under its devices menu as well, make sure that all of the enabled guest devices are pointing to valid images, or to the correct corresponding host devices and/or only enable ones that are required. I will play with this after I get the torrent, I've had quite a hand experimenting with VMware and OS's and have kept most of my old vmware builds around as they are useful in situations such as this. Also, Does this happen if you install it natively using the method in your instructions?

@linuxguru,

Let me know if you want to compare notes. I think I still have older VMw build on CD. Anyway, I can help test out the old and new dev rls's and post what I find for you. I think i can create another partition to try to install the unpatched installers and try to get info from them also. I just need to find out how with only 1 PC at my disposal.

Thanks myzar, I'll add that to my to-do list this week. Have you actually done what you wanted? I'm curiouse...

i missed one step, after you have 10.4.3 installed you need to copy the 10.4.3 kernel over your installation because the installer would copy the 10.4.1 kernel.

about your question , i'm stuck because the 10.4.3 kernel doesn't work under vmware , vmware crashes so the only way would be to try it in native but i'm not sure that i want to screw my working 10.4.1 on the real hd

ok i've tried it in native and the same {censored} happens, the kernel just resets the box without any panic so we are royally screwed unless maxxuss or another smart guy figures out wtf is the kernel doing

i missed one step, after you have 10.4.3 installed you need to copy the 10.4.3 kernel over your installation because the installer would copy the 10.4.1 kernel.

but does 10.4.3 boot with the 10.4.1 kernel ?

Is this a method for getting "userland" 10.4.3 system as the update.tar does, that is floating around for some hours.

/sebastian

but does 10.4.3 boot with the 10.4.1 kernel ?

Is this a method for getting "userland" 10.4.3 system as the update.tar does, that is floating around for some hours.

/sebastian

I have added the 10.4.1 patched for 10.4.2 kernel and the oah750 88 kb & oah760 2.54 mb to the iso of 10.4.3 and tried to boot it that way.It doesnt stack fault any more...it just reboots with no error at all after the kexts cach is loaded.I also tried deleting the kext cach from the iso and then booting.Same thing happened.

I have added the 10.4.1 patched for 10.4.2 kernel and the oah750 88 kb & oah760 2.54 mb to the iso of 10.4.3 and tried to boot it that way.It doesnt stack fault any more...it just reboots with no error at all after the kexts cach is loaded.I also tried deleting the kext cach from the iso and then booting.Same thing happened.

yup i've tried the same, with the same result, i suspect the tpm protection has been added in the kernel itself

sorry jas what do u mean with

I have added the 10.4.1 patched for 10.4.2 kernel and the oah750 88 kb & oah760 2.54 mb to the iso of 10.4.3.

which files are u talking about?

maybe i've lost a piece of developement u've done while i was studing for some days and i got no time

could u pls give me more info?

maybe bettere if pm