OS X x86 10.4.3 DVD

domino

89 posts in this topic

I'm moving this thread since it's not really Opinions and Commentary - I just added news story about this leak, so if you just want to give opinions, go there.

If you're doing something else with the DVD, like trying to get it work, this thread will be fine.

But don't say we didn't discourage you from trying. :-)

ok...thank you deathchill, macgirl... much clearer to me.

After install you need to patch the files to run on a standard PC, so TPM hack is needed...

and the old simple oah750 method on SSE3 machines no longer works, correct?

Another method of mine also worked, install with a Mac on an external disk, then made an image of that installation, then put the disk on a PC, format the disk with Darwin to enable boot, then attahc the disk again to a Mac, copy back the image to the disk. The thing with this method is that disk formated with Mac wont boot on PC, so you need to format the disk on a PC and copy the contents of OS to it.

instead of blowing away that hard drive, as you say above, would it be possible to just change the whole MBR like:

dd if=/mnt/darwin_8.3_dvd/boot/location_of_known_working_MBR_file.mbr of=/dev/mac_hfsplus_disk bs=512 count=1

unless then the old data structure dont align to the new partition tables or something...

also, if i install the 10.4.3 dev dvd under pear, does it write to an image file only or actual volume, and of what filesystem type? can this image file be used under VMWARE, i think someone elase asked this earlier?

if i have a 10.4.1 clean/stable running in vmware, i can simply use the 10.4.3 dvd in it (since this method is faster than pear anyway now)...but can i install to either a vmware image file or a real hfplus volume and both work?

ok...i can't imagine this is true.

yes, apps can now be compiled as unibins... but these are bundles and inside the bundle folder you will likely see 2 different binaries one for each platform.

frameworks, kernels, etc, are a whole different story.

if what you say is true [outside of any TPM], i could literally ditto, dd, or otherwise copy my entire G5 PPC 10.4.3 install from my powermac g5 and have it happily run on x86, which strikes me as *very* farfetched.

rather, i would think the installer would install x86 kernels, libraries, and frameworks or ppc ones.

maybe this is indeed what this thread has been about and why i have been so confused, because this does seem to be what you guys are talking about...very strange...

Actually, this doesn't suprise me a bit if this functionality becomes reality. Think about it... this is what Apple is famous for doing, making things nice and easy for the consumer. It will be the same for those consumers that are upgrading their old and busted G5's for the new x86 Macs. Seemless transistion. I bet that Apple puts out a patch sometime in the near future that makes eveyones old Tiger PPC installations completely interchangeable with the new machines.. ie: as in move an entire PPC install to an x86 mac, boot, and proceed with life. Not only that, but I bet that if you take a future X86 OSX install and move it to a PPC (G5,G4,G3) and boot, it'll do the same thing.

On a side note, add in the ability to install and run almost any Windows app... Gates who? :P

I'm moving this thread since it's not really Opinions and Commentary - I just added news story about this leak, so if you just want to give opinions, go there.

If you're doing something else with the DVD, like trying to get it work, this thread will be fine.

But don't way we didn't discourage you from trying. :-)

I posted it where I posted it because I needed a confirmation. I didn't want to post it under news because I thought it deserved a better introduction from the new editors :P. Alas, things are coming together on this build though. Thanks all for clearing some things up on the processes.

ok...thank you deathchill, macgirl... much clearer to me.

instead of blowing away that hard drive, as you say above, would it be possible to just change the whole MBR like:

dd if=/mnt/darwin_8.3_dvd/boot/location_of_known_working_MBR_file.mbr of=/dev/mac_hfsplus_disk bs=512 count=1

unless then the old data structure dont align to the new partition tables or something...

I think the partition scheme has diferent sizes, but I can not confirm this, I need to do some tests.

also, if i install the 10.4.3 dev dvd under pear, does it write to an image file only or actual volume, and of what filesystem type? can this image file be used under VMWARE, i think someone elase asked this earlier?

filesystem is HFS+ if you choose at moment of the installation, but AFAIK Unix Filesystem does not work with PearPC images, you can check PearPC forums.

So, as the filesystem is the same in PPC and X86 you can mount it on VMWare (with a OS that reads HFS of course)

if i have a 10.4.1 clean/stable running in vmware, i can simply use the 10.4.3 dvd in it (since this method is faster than pear anyway now)...but can i install to either a vmware image file or a real hfplus volume and both work?

The thing about installing in VMWare is that some (me included) reported stalls and hangs in the installation, since PearPC has nothing to do with TPM or Rosetta it simply runs the whole install.

I´ll try to update my 10.4.1 to 10.4.3 with my PowerBook later and see what happen.

the difference is, that this is the thread, where official apple developers are talking about system optimization :lol:

Well obviously nothing is different.I like this site and I enjoy posting on these forums as you can tell if you look at the amount of posts I have made.If the policy is to stay in line with the DMCA one month and one week ago then it still should be that way.I would hate to try and log in one day only to find out the site has be closed.Isn't that why the threads were deleted last month.To protect the site?

Well, I think that the point is that the other thread was started with the clear purpose of cracking the OS and telling others how to do it. This thread was started to just talk about the DVD being leaked.

If this thread becomes as bad as the one you mentioned JaS, we'll close it too. But it's fine right now - there is nothing wrong with people talking about how they're messing around with the OS.

Thanks for being so concerned about the site - we're really trying to make sure people are free to talk about OSx86 while still staying legal!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...