Yep, XP IS faster than OSX

henchman

69 posts in this topic

People that complain about XP degrading over time simply do not know how to properly look after it.

Perhaps so for some people who wouldn't mind doing it. Then again it's certainly no rocket science.

Then there are those who do know how to do the 'maintenance' (like myself) but just got fed up with wasting time on a system I paid for. There are systems I don't even need to 'look after' which cost me nothing. So no excuse there.

A well-conceived system should not require much maintenance (if any) in a first place and should certainly never require the odd re-install.

When i said apples implementation of opengl sux , to explain Apple ut2004 opengl detail has to be practically turned down to all low then it isnt too bad were as on windows xp opengl detail can be full and its perfect doesnt drop a frame now wether is 3rd party developers or apple them selfs i dunno but in the game department with opengl windows and osx windows will be faster every time

Edited by curlyboy

XP only bends and goes all fiddly slow craptastic because XP requires maintanance every now and then.

...I make sure all Windows Updates are done, drivers are up-to date, BIOS is up-to date, Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6 installed, using CCleaner ({censored} Cleaner) for clearing Temp files and the Registry, abandoned use of IE7, using Opera instead, defragging hard-disks every two months with O&O Defrag.

Also, a lot of the problem stems from out-of date motherboard drivers, because most people would just plop in their disc from yonks ago and find out that it causes issues.

Bundled PC software is always a nightmare, try to avoid it at all cost!

Make sure you get the latest versions of all drivers, specifically from the motherboard manufacturers site.....

Yeah, that pretty much sums it all up. It's between doing all that on Windows versus no maintenance on OSX (well if you really wanted to you can repair disk permissions every once in a while). I bought my first computer (windows box) to make my life easier, not so I can learn to be good at fixing windows.

Also, if the only area XP is faster in is gaming (ie. a fun way to essentially waste time) , then that suits me perfectly. I'll get myself a new Mac eventually and I'll run a small XP install just for the couple of games I like to play once in a while. The rest will be OSX all the way for Logic, Photoshop, Dreamweaver/Flash and everything else that matters in life.

Some people do like to build things themselves without getting too far into programming. I can see how those people would like Windows and would eventually move towards something like linux. However at this point in time, I think Macs are probably the most hassle free option for users that don't have the time or the patience to muck around troubleshooting/maintaining their system and warding off attackers etc.

Just my $0.02

Hey what are we discussing here? Windows are the best GAMING machines around, not really good at anything else (except coding in c++ maybe ;))..... Anyway, i have a hard disk with Windows xp full of games nothing else, my real work is being done on a mac, thats it...

Hey what are we discussing here? Windows are the best GAMING machines around, not really good at anything else (except coding in c++ maybe ;))..... Anyway, i have a hard disk with Windows xp full of games nothing else, my real work is being done on a mac, thats it...

Funny you say, seeing as I use the PC for all my work, that being Web Administration, Music Production and Graphics Design.

I tried the Mac versions of the software I use daily and noticed absolutely no difference, except that the Mac version of Steinberg Nuendo crashed once, where-as the PC version has been rock solid stable. Pro-Tools is a charm to work on the Mac though.

The only comment really worth any ground is "To simply use what you're used to" ;)

Edited by devilhood

We shouldn't have to work to make the OS stay as fresh as when we first bought it.

I disagree. A certain level of computer literacy is required, and that should involve basic maintance and the understanding of what causes an OS to malfunction or slow-down.

It is impossible, even on the Mac, to have an OS staying as fresh as a first installed system.

No, the user shouldn't have to do that kind of thing (unless they want to).

For example does the system need to defrag? Well, why can't the system do that by itself overnight, as opposed to the user being wholly responsible for it?

Most users aren't as advanced as those on the forums here and need to have it done for them.

A certain level of computer literacy is required, and that should involve basic maintance and the understanding of what causes an OS to malfunction or slow-down.

The kind of maintenance WIndows requires does not add a lick of value to the knowledge or understanding of an OS in general. The majority of potential showstoppers in Windows are proprietary à la M$ and are completely foreign to Unix-based (in the larger sense) environments. I could care less if the 'Registry' is clogged up with nonsense, if some weird dll or vxd orphans are floating about the main system folders (!), why potentially vulnerable processes have to permanently run in the background or if a HD is fragmented. Except perhaps that it shows fundamental flaws in the system design it does not contribute in any way to a better understanding of an OS.

The obvious flaws in Windows can massively contribute to a personal conclusion though. To change my OS, that is...

The flaws you are referring are often as a result of malware or virus' finding their way onto a computer, such as orphaned dll's et cetera or obsolete application extensions from improperly uninstalled software. The latter isn't an issue of concern though.

You cannot put the blame entirely on M$'s OS, as just because this OS is widely used, it means that it will be widely exploited. The same would be the case if XP was erased from existence and someone went back in-time to turn Mac into the mainstream OS.

So currently, in order to use XP, you need to possess 'basic' skills to maintain your computer, and I mean very basic.

Vista attempts to go much further to close the gap in required user administration to maintain a computer, which is very good, hence when the day Vista is the popular OS of choice, it should be less problematic when compared to the {censored} thrown at us when using the XP of yesteryear.

You are right about defragging though, however, seeing as the program I use (O&O Defrag) does automatic defragmentation, that isn't really an issue for me personally.

Edited by devilhood

I see where you're coming from mate and without too much drifting off topic you actually said it - 'the day Vista is the popular OS of choice'. There IS choice in most parts of this world and I hope more people will get aware of it.

Taking your 'choice' example - there are millions of people who firmly believe that Mercedes or maybe Ferrari are definitely, absolutely and ultimately the best manufacturers of supercars but who think that Pagani is a pasta brand and Koenigsegg is an oval-shaped historic site in Germany...

Windows in general is flawed system, the register is an incosnsitency of the last century, the way the hds are handled is laughable, you say xp is quicker? hear it working all day in your hd..., really Xp is a geeky OS (and i considere myself sorta geek) its in the 90 percent of the computers because there are no choice it comes with your machine.

Edited by aberracus

Windows in general is flawed system, the register is an incosnsitency of the last century, the way the hds are handled is laughable, you say xp is quicker? hear it working all day in your hd..., really Xp is a geeky OS (and i considere myself sorta geek) its in the 90 percent of the computers because there are no choice it comes with your machine.

Yeah because tons of plist files all scattered across the filesystem and buried in 10+ levels deep directories is the new century better solution.

its in the 90 percent of the computers because there are no choice it comes with your machine.

Yes, for now. But the choice is still there: buy one of the other 10 percent or at least refuse to pay for an OS you don't want and just get the hardware. Hardware retailers would be foolish to completely refuse your business just because you don't want to buy an OS.

Yeah because tons of plist files all scattered across the filesystem and buried in 10+ levels deep directories is the new century better solution.

lol; plistering plantastic :whistle:

Edited by devilhood

these benchmarks from my hack...

Linux 2.6.18-gentoo-r4 x86_64 143.1

Windows x86 (32-bit) 131.1

Mac OS X 10.4.8 (Build 8L2127) 134.7

If we will compare some compiling time Windows will be the fastest. Is is very fast OS and light weight if we will compare it to OS X. My XP is faster for about 1 month of usage. It get crunch very quickly. And Yes I now what is OS maintains.

Windows have some big advantages over OSX

- my nvidia have PureVideo drivers in Win - HW h264 playback

- Acorbat 8 is about 5 times faster it can use GPU under win XP

- flash eat 2 - 3 times more CPU in OS X :unsure:

- opengl speed ...

- win xp use 2 - 3 time less memory than OS X in normal usage (I don't say about system only I have in mind all environment included apps)

peaty much, but OS X feel faster in rest of usage and just feel more polished, finished, stress free, give ability to focus what is important and make work and digital play/hobby pleasure.

Edited by alicheusz

Thing is tho for me im running osx on quite a nice pc are the driver 100% doing the job on my hardware as they will be doing on a real mac ???? So i dont really know that i can compare osx and windows well a lot are running a system on machines is not meant for

Edited by curlyboy