MacOS x86 under Xen

10 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

With the availability of the virtualization software Xen in most of the new Linux Kernels is it possible to run MacOS as a client on it like other Linux or Unix systems and Windows 2003 or Vista? Has anyone experiences with that or is interested in it?

Cheers

Edited by hemzet

Hello folks,

With the availability of the virtualization software Xen in most of the new Linux Kernels is it possible to run MacOS as a client on it like other Linux or Unix systems and Windows 2003 or Vista? Has anyone experiences with that or is interested in it?

Cheers

Mine works in VMware under Linux, but I have to use -legacy boot flag to keep kernel in 32 bit mode under 64 bit Linux host.

I was going to try XEN, but had issues with my graphics card. Stopped trying after I got VMware working. Would be interested in your results.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I gave this a shot a while ago, but could never get the installer to boot properly. But I've recently come across some information that suggests it is possible so I'm going to give it another go.

I'll keep y'all posted.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Bump!

Anyone has successfully done this?

Two post above there is a link to the article written in russian with the complete instructions how to install and run Mac OS X 10.5 (non-vanilla, using Voodoo 9.5.0 Intel/AMD kernel) inside the Xen guest domain. Even more, the author of the article claims that he had successfully used PCI/DMA relocation to the guest system for one of the onboard USB controllers and integrated sound card. So, it is technically possible to get Mac OS up and running in Xen but is still not an easy task and will require a lot of tries and efforts to succeed.

• 1 year later...

I've used this method successfully. Unfortunately, you only get half-duplex networking but it's better than nothing.

http://www.bisente.com/blog/2011/03/15/mac...-on-a-xen-domu/

You could probably solve the networking issue by adding an additional NIC and using PCI Passthrough to give the VM direct access but you'll need a CPU with VT-d which mine doesn't have.