This post has been edited by AcePlayer - Get rid!

19 posts in this topic

Why do we need a "This post has been edited by AcePlayer:"???

All it does is clutter the post. If it's to be added then it should be optional as a lot of the time it's actually not wanted.

For example. If i create and submitted a post but noticed right away I got the currency wrong and needed to change from £ to $. I would need to go back in and edit and save changes. But is it really important that everyone knows I made an edit? Turst me, most of my edits are exactly these. Small mistakes that no one cares about but me.

Please remove it. It's just makes the forum messy.

Look at the edit note added for yourself: I made an edit so to show everyone.

Edited by AcePlayer

I still would prefer tick box which gives users the option of adding an edit comment. I honestly thought things were fine the way they were without the need of an automated edit comment.

I know sometimes it's difficult to strip something out that you spent time adding in but in this case I honestly thing it's close to a must. The forum serves everyone better being as clutter free as possible and this helps (even if slightly).

If you are going to add a time period before the edit kicks in the something more like 15-30 mins is realistic. No one seriously needs an edit comment within 15 mins as not enough people are likely to have read the post for it to be necessary to inform them of an edit.

Anyway your the boss :)

Don't you have the option when you post? Down below the text box there's an option to have the message appear or not.

No, this is disabled for regular users. This is because it could be used to flame other users, for instance, in an arguement, people could suddenly completely switch there opinions, etc, in order to make a user look bad. If the posts all say "edited by", you can tell something fishy is going on.

On a random note, I'm putting in a lot of commas today. Bah.

Don't you have the option when you post? Down below the text box there's an option to have the message appear or not.

We used to have the option from what I remember but I don't think it ever worked for me back then. Nothing happened when I clicked on it so i just left it. I (like most people I think) used to just type "edit:" at the bottom when we made one... or was that the edit function doing it???

No, this is disabled for regular users. This is because it could be used to flame other users, for instance, in an argument, people could suddenly completely switch there opinions, etc, in order to make a user look bad. If the posts all say "edited by", you can tell something fishy is going on.

On a random note, I'm putting in a lot of commas today. Bah.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by people could use it to flame others but if it's major issues then I could understand. I just don't remember any issue.

An idea could be to have a tick-box that's selected by default, which you could deselect for that particular edit your making (having to do that each time you make edits to that post). That way users have to go out of their way a little to avoid the edit note appearing. Maybe that and a combination of other mentioned would be a possible idea if you don't want to get go back to the way things were.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by people could use it to flame others but if it's major issues then I could understand. I just don't remember any issue.

An idea could be to have a tick-box that's selected by default, which you could deselect for that particular edit your making (having to do that each time you make edits to that post). That way users have to go out of their way a little to avoid the edit note appearing. Maybe that and a combination of other mentioned would be a possible idea if you don't want to get go back to the way things were.

People can easily edit their posts to make another user look stupid, or perhaps make it look like the other user even started a flame-war. It's happened before on many forums, so most require at least some notification that a post has been edited.

Well, the idea is to prevent flame wars... and thanks shard, I had forgotten how we had set things.

Is this really that big of a problem for everyone? I do tend to think it makes things clearer. Most of us write "Edit:" anyway.

Maybe we could have it so that there is a period of say 5 minutes where that feature is disabled before its mandatory for the quick mistake fixes :(

/me make a lot of mistakes when writing :( my fingers do not obey me :)

Edited by macgirl
I just made one

i'd like that at the least

If we are going to add this I certainly think it should be more than 5 mins. 15 mins is more realistic because as macgirl pointed out we all make mistakes. I make a lot when writing long posts. After writing it i don't really want to sit there and read it right away to see if everything is in order. So 15 mins sounds more realistic to make a sufficient change.

If possible, perhaps the message could pop up only after the user has made edits when replies have already been made? That way people couldn't change their opinions in flamewars without it showing up. All of my messages tend to have the "edited" line on them, even though I'm just proofreading; I like to post first and edit, especially if I'm giving information on drivers etc, info that someone is searching for at that moment.