10 reasons not to get Vista

Alessandro17

42 posts in this topic

I can debunk all 10 right here right now

1. If you have read into any articles about how security has changed in Vista, it is a mandatory upgrade (www.twit.tv/sn)

2. If you compare it to any other windows release, they cost about the same, and many people already own XP or 2000 so the upgrade option is available.

3. Countries other than the US have been screwed when it comes to electronics forever, I don't see why this would be any different.

4. Who doesn't want new hardware?

5. Like every other Windows release had a majority of drivers available at launch.

6. Many anti virus programs don't work because Microsoft is enforcing the ability to limit programs from hooking into the kernal, making it more secure.

7. As I said earlier, more secure.

8. UAC has got its heart in the right place

9. DRM is bad, but its not like everything else isnt locked down these days.

10. Oh please, you could pirate windows and do the phone activation, no sweat.

1. If you have read into any articles about how security has changed in Vista, it is a mandatory upgrade (www.twit.tv/sn)

2. If you compare it to any other windows release, they cost about the same, and many people already own XP or 2000 so the upgrade option is available.

3. Countries other than the US have been screwed when it comes to electronics forever, I don't see why this would be any different.

5. Like every other Windows release had a majority of drivers available at launch.

6. Many anti virus programs don't work because Microsoft is enforcing the ability to limit programs from hooking into the kernal, making it more secure.

All of those are good, but eh...

I know bill gates said it.

Reality is, that everyone uses window, as Apple only has about 2.3% of the market.

Now, if Apple was smart, at this point in time, they should stop making computers with, and just make the OS, and let PC manufactureres

offer it as an option to Windows.

It's not as if their new computers are anything to write home about, quality wise.

thats so stupid.

sorry. but that thing has been discussed a thousand times in these forums...

if apple would be dumb, they would be releasing it for all those unsupported types of hardware!

dont you people think before you post?

it would bring apple nothing else than trouble...

:guitar:

thats so stupid.

if apple would be dumb, they would be releasing it for all those unsupported types of hardware!

:unsure:

i think the existance of this very board proves you are wrong.

There have been plenty of rebuttals and counter rebuttals:

http://cogscanthink.blogsome.com/2007/01/21/538/

http://benhay.blogspot.com/2007/01/10-reas...ons-not-to.html

http://apcmag.com/5082/10_reasons_you_should_get_vista

http://apcmag.com/5097/in_response_to_10_r...ot_to_get_vista

I only want to consider your point 4:

"Who doesn't want new hardware?"

I beg your pardon? Do you believe everybody is a rich pig who can't wait to spend thousands of bucks just in order to run Vista? The vast majority of people I know have old computers and they don't even consider buying new ones.

thats so stupid.

:thumbsdown_anim:

I disagree here, strongly. Apple wouldn't have to care about unsupported hardware. That would be left to the large computer manifactures.

On the other hand History has proven that if your OS is in most computers, that gives you an enormous power, a lot more than selling computers to a tiny percentage of the population.

computer manufacturers would also have to use certain hardware to ensure compability with os x - and that is not so economic for them, i think. and this is what matters. even if apple would count on those manufacturers, they still would have to deal with all those crappy usb-devices, scanners and stuff of the last 10 years...and that is just too much work...

the next thing is that their hardware sales would be going down - apple is a hardware-company, dont forget that. only with their os x-sales, they would be nothing.

thats just my opinion, i would call apple stupid if they would open the gates to all that crappy peripherals and stuff they never had to deal with - that is my real concern! windows tried to manage it, and lost in every possible way...

computer manufacturers would also have to use certain hardware to ensure compability with os x - and that is not so economic for them, i think.

I don't see why not. If many of us have built perfectly compatible hackintoshes, just by using off the shelves components, I don't see why Dell or HP couldn't, but at a much lower cost for them.

the next thing is that their hardware sales would be going down - apple is a hardware-company, dont forget that. only with their os x-sales, they would be nothing.

Yes, we have heard that so many times... And yet who has more money and power: Apple which sells hardware or Microsoft which sells "only" software?

And besides I am totally unconvinced that if Apple licensed OS X to others their own sales would go down. In time the opposite could be true.

There have been plenty of rebuttals and counter rebuttals:

http://cogscanthink.blogsome.com/2007/01/21/538/

http://benhay.blogspot.com/2007/01/10-reas...ons-not-to.html

http://apcmag.com/5082/10_reasons_you_should_get_vista

http://apcmag.com/5097/in_response_to_10_r...ot_to_get_vista

I only want to consider your point 4:

"Who doesn't want new hardware?"

I beg your pardon? Do you believe everybody is a rich pig who can't wait to spend thousands of bucks just in order to run Vista? The vast majority of people I know have old computers and they don't even consider buying new ones.

Being a student, I know where you are coming from when the subject of the cost of Vista comes up. My point wasn't "who doesn't like spending money" it was "Who doesn't like new hardware" Meaning, Vista would be a good excuse to upgrade your current PC. Besides a PC that is about 1 or 2 years old can hadle vista fine. Hell Im right in from of my custom PC woth an AMD sempon 802 MHz processor, 512 MB of RAM, a 40 gig HDD and 5200 series Nvidia Graphics card. And Vista runs ok and Aero works. Not the fastest thing ever, but workable.

I need no even one reason for getting Vista :)

Same here.

BUT

since I still boot to Windows to play games (errr a game) I am sure in a couple years I will be forced to buy a Direct X 10 video card and at the same time buy Vista just to play a game. Then again I might just say no thanks and find another form of entertainment.

Another BS article with ignorant praise.

1. It does many things you can't do with XP and basically everything you could do in XP has been vastly improved. Only a moron who has barely used Vista outside of going "Hey, a Sidebar and Flip3d" would say that.

2. Most people do not buy it and the prices, when compared to XP launch prices are on par except for Ultimate. Also, there are Student and Upgrade versions available and everything quotes Ultimate for the reason it's so expensive, well, don't freaking buy it, at most people will need Home Premium and I'm telling you now, that will be the dominate install.

3. See above and in Australia we get screwed in prices on pretty much everything so this isn't solely a Vista problem.

4. See Vista Mythbusters #1: It’s not a hardware hog.

5. Within a few months this won't be a problem and I'll take a guess that the only people buying in those months are those 'informed' ones.

6. Very few do not work and Firefox works basically perfectly fine except for a few minor things.

7. .. this is just getting stupid.

8. So, Microsoft finally implements decent user security and design and you all moan, good job, really. Also, on RTM the whole "UAC IS ANNOYING AS HELL" isn't really that true anymore.

9. The DRM in Vista has been vastly overblown and if you do not attempt to use DRM content, you'll be fine. Also, Apple has had TPM chips on their hardware for how many years, and it has been used in OSX yet no one cares, no bias there.

10. I'd have to double-check but I believe all the licensing issues they point out have been fixed - Microsoft listened to the complaints and changed.

Other than being basically completely wrong it was an absolutely awesome article.

Edited by robotskip

I agree with #1, I can actually do more with XP (More working apps, better driver support) the only reason I would upgrade is for DX10 (DXX?) I think Halo 2 is designed for DX10, and I wouldnt be surprised if it were hacked to work with XP(DX or Halo)