Display Change?

8 posts in this topic

Using

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

and

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1600x1050x32</string>

to change my display, I tried to change my display to 1600x1050.

For some reason though, my laptop keeps changing it to 1400x1050 instead. How do I stop this?

I have a Dell E1505 with ATI Mobility x1400 (256MB).

• 3 months later...
Becaus 1600x1050 is not a VESA supported resolution, you can check which ones are supported at boot prompt.

macgirl

Please could you tell how I could increase the display from 1024x768.

I have also installed wp pro on the Vm and the display there is 199x1200.

So I wonder why it can not be changed in Hackintosh?

Thanks

NT

@boot propt, type ?video to get supported video mode once booted, open terminal and type sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist in dict section add

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280*1024*32</string>

or any supported resoluion

Messing with the boot options

Tired of typing '-x "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@85" platform=ACPI or platform=X86PC' every time you boot? This is for you!

NOTE: It is best to test out your commands before editing the Boot file. By testing, we mean typing your command during boot (Darwin). If it works, then proceed. Why? Because your changes to the boot file is used EVERY time you boot into Mac OS. Typing out the commands during the boot only affects the OS during that current boot. Rebooting clears it.

Browse to

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

and open it up in your text editor- You can add some switches in here to make your life a little bit sweeter...

HINT: If you are having difficulty saving changes to com.apple.Boot.plist; Open Terminal and type

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

just copy and paste the text) and press enter. Use the arrow keys to move the cursor. Ctrl+O to save (and then press Enter to save) and Ctrl+X to close.

TIP: If you've installed the Developer Tools (free for download with an Apple Developer Connection membership, or on a Mac OS X DVD), you'll get the program Property List Editor, which will make editing .plist files a tad easier. To run it as root, type in sudo open /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Property\ List\ Editor.app path-to-a-plist-file, or sudo open path-to-a-plist-file if .plist files are already associated with Property List Editor. As of version 2.1, this is a Universal application.

To automatically use a certain graphics mode

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32@85</string>

Note: If your video card is using VESA 2.0 drivers, leave out the '@85' part as it only works on VESA 3.0 will cause the system to reset before getting anywhere.