[Guide] The Fool-Proof Vista & XP / Mac OS X Dual-Boot Guide

370 posts in this topic

Hi, I followed your guide but when I boot into OS X, all I see is the grey screen with the apple logo and a loading circle below it. It stays like that forever and I have tried all the fixes you provided, but to no avail. I am booting vista, 7, and OS X using the Darwin bootloader. Also, when I try to boot into vista or 7, they give me an error like this:

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

Please help!

EDIT: I have switched the active partition to vista and I inserted my Windows 7 DVD to repair the problems. They updated the Windows Boot Manager and now I can boot into Vista and 7. But I'm still having problems with OS X. Any help would be appreciated.

My PC is now in a mess. I can't boot into windows 7 when vista's partition is the main partition and when windows 7 is the main partition, I can boot into it but it gives me a user32.dll error. Most of the services are not loaded and I only have a black screen with no desktop or explorer.exe when I boot into Windows 7. After that, when I switch the main partition back to Vista, Windows Vista started to act strange as the Windows Media Player and Windows Sidebar "is not a valid Win32 application". Later, I discovered the files for both of these applications as well as Wordpad have been converted to Windows7 versions. The wallpaper for vista also changed to the wallpaper I had in Windows 7. I think it might have something to do with the USER32.dll file but I do not know what to do. Windows Repair Disk do not work and all my System Restore points have been mysteriously deleted for both OSes. After all these, OS X has also failed to boot and is permanently stuck at the Apple boot screen. I do not dare to format my entire hard drive as I have already deleted my OEM partition, which is essential for recovering Vista. Even if I did have my OEM partition, I feel like fainting everytime I think of installing all those programs and tweaking every single one of them to my liking for both OSes should I have to install everything again. What's worse is that I'm having my exams now and doing all these would only waste my time while I could be studying. I am at a loss of what to do.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

plz plz plz help :(

i followed every step of this guide till it came to the part where i inserted iatkos v.7 dvd to install mac os x leopard 10.5.7. where it said press any key to load from cd, when i press the key, mac logo (loading screen) appears for few seconds and then the sysem restarts and it keeps happening untill i switch off the system.

but after this i coudnt even boot into windows xp, when i turned on my system it showed 'missing operating system', so i tried repairing the xp installation but it didnt help. then i found this guide for repairing & restoring master boot record from windows recovery console, after following that when i start my system i get an error 'error loading operating system'.

i am stuck here. will formatting the drive solve the problem ( but i dont want to format as i have valuable data). i want mac so bad, but now i cant even run windows on my pc.

• 4 weeks later...

hey, i need help. im using a HP celeron pc..

i installed xp on partition 1 i installed osx on partition 2

when i try to boot in os x it keeps saying

darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - chameleon v10.12

build date 2008 11 16

759 mb memory

vesa 3.0 7mb intel®845g/845gl/8458e/845gv graphics chip accelerated with vga bios

loading darwin

then the screen flashes some writing i cannot read fast enough then it appears again..like a never ending loop. i can boot into xp and the installation disk but not alone...

ps is it possible to boot the osx partition using the disk? and if so how?

oh yeah i used iatkos 5i

please help me !!!! thank you in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I want to dual-boot windows vista and leopard, so I downloaded Iatkos v7, the newest iatkos version. I have however read many people having problems with this one, something about not being able to boot into mac osx, and then also not being able to boot into windows. Is there any clear guide on iatkos v7, or some people who have experience with installing leopard on a windows vista pc?

bro, i have installed kalyway mac osx 10.5.2 in my computer but the problem is when the computer restarts after completing the installation, it stucks at the grey colored screen with apple logo in the center of the screen and does not moves forward from that screen. Please Help!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I used Kalyway 10.5.2 on a laptop with an Intel Core 2 Duo, with Vista, Linux, and XP preinstalled. The installation went through, and I was able to get into OSX afterwards, but as I wanted to retain the Vista bootloader, and “winload” was corrupted, I put in my Vista installation CD and “Repaired My Computer”.

I was able to recover back into Vista and quickly went to EasyBCD and added OSX to the Vista bootloader. However, I can’t get back into OSX.

If I set in EasyBCD my OSX installation as MBR, when I choose my OSX installation on the Vista bootloader, I get the BLINKING CURSOR ERROR. I’ve scoured almost all forum posts and none of the suggestions work for me. I’m even unable to access my OSX boot even with the Kalyway boot CD inside (which is the most suggested trick).

If I try and set in EasyBCD my OSX installation as EFI, when I choose my OSX installation on the Vista bootloader, I get: Grub>

I’m honestly out of ideas and hopefully someone actually understands what to do with a blinking cursor error.

I’ve already tried the EasyBCD “HFS+ Partition Error” fix and that didn’t work.

Thank you so much in advance.

• 1 month later...

Devilhood, I have just registered to thank you for this guide. After trying many others, yours was THE ONE, specially the advise of controlling that the id=AF. I tried with Paragon and Partition Magic, but it was only diskpart the one that did the job. After it, it worked perfectly. It even connected to an open wireless network during installation and now I'm registered with Apple ;)

The only strange thing is that although I can't find where are the settings for the wireless card, as soon as I start Safari, it immediately connects with the router. As long as it keeps working, I can live with that.

And congrats for the band, good guitars there!

Yours,

ThankFul Man

• 3 weeks later...

when using

DISKPART> create partition primary id=af

it saying that there is not enough usable space for this operation

i am using 23.8 GB space.

i am also try to use EASEUS Partition Master 3.5 Unlimited Edition. is i make logical partition with it than the partition is format able in MAC. but if makes a primary partition that does not formated on MAC saying the disk map cannot be read.

i have takes 23.8 GB from my G drive. 

please help me to solve the problem.

Hi thanks alot for this tutorial! It worked perfectly for me!

Unfortunately now i want to install garageband but it wont let me instal to 10.5.5 - it wants a min of 10.5.6... I tried the 10.5.8 upgrade and it went wrong

So i got iDeneb 10.5.8 and i had problems with my USB and PS/2...The PS/2 problem was fixed by using the appropriate patch but MY USB problem is still there...

The problem im having is that the USB ports on the right side of my notebook work, whereas the USB ports on the left do not! any ideas?

oh im using a HP pavilion dv-5

Hi thanks alot for this tutorial! It worked perfectly for me!

Unfortunately now i want to install garageband but it wont let me instal to 10.5.5 - it wants a min of 10.5.6... I tried the 10.5.8 upgrade and it went wrong

So i got iDeneb 10.5.8 and i had problems with my USB and PS/2...The PS/2 problem was fixed by using the appropriate patch but MY USB problem is still there...

The problem im having is that the USB ports on the right side of my notebook work, whereas the USB ports on the left do not! any ideas?

oh im using a HP pavilion dv-5

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there, this whole site has been very helpful including this tutorial. However, I've been trying to get Mac os x Leopard 10.5.2 Kalway to run on my PC, and having no luck. I've created a 50 GB partition and put i as HFS. When I boot from the disk, everything runs fine, until I get to Disk Utility. When I click Disk Utility, I only see the disk drive, and the DVD with Leopard on it. I do not see the partitioned hard drive space that I created for the mac os, and I've tried two dvds already, and went through many, MANY sites.

I'll gladly accept any help, and if it's something simple, I apologize. I'm new to this sort, but really would love to figure it out. Any help is appreciated, if you need to know anything else about how I'm running the computer etc, then feel free to ask! And sorry if this is the wrong section to ask, if so, just ignore me.

Thanks,

Stephen

• 5 months later...

I managed to make quiet a simple Dualboot with Windows 7 and osx86 iDeneb 1.6 lite.

I had 2 partitions.

Partition nr 1. 20gb for OSX86

Partition nr 2. 100gb for windows 7

1. Install windows 7 on Partition 2. it makes a system partition 100mb and then win 7 partition of the rest.

2. I created a hfs+ partition with Ultimate Boot CD www.ultimatebootcd.com/

3. Installed iDeneb 1.6 lite on Partition Nr 1.

I couldnt boot at first. i ran the install cd and only installed Chameleon V1.

and then i could boot Win 7 from the system 100mb one.

• 2 weeks later...

I did what the forum said I installed XP on the computer got all the drivers updated and everything and Installed Antivirus and I also disk part xp is using half of the hard drive and the other half is my mac partition and i went to restart my computer once everything was done and it said Error Loading Operating System and This is a legitimate Mac OSX install disc and I dont know what to do from here Im using a HP ProBook 4510s with a intel celeron processor and 4 gigs of memory and a 260 gig hard drive. any ideas, comments, suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it.

• 8 months later...

<a href="http://hubpages.com/_xu7vv63x88ht/hub/How-to-Dual-and-Triple-Boot-Windows-7-Apple-Mac-OS-X-and-Ubuntu-910">How'>http://hubpages.com/_xu7vv63x88ht/hub/How-to-Dual-and-Triple-Boot-Windows-7-Apple-Mac-OS-X-and-Ubuntu-910">How to Dual and Triple Boot Windows 7, Apple Mac OS X and Ubuntu 9.10 on a Laptop/Computer</a>

I created the above linked tutorial and its a step by step process of what I did to get this thing up and running smoothly without any side effects, missing drivers or anything else. Give it a look and comment even if you wish. Thanks for time and effort, hopefully it helps you out! :)

<a href="http://hubpages.com/_xu7vv63x88ht/hub/How-to-Dual-and-Triple-Boot-Windows-7-Apple-Mac-OS-X-and-Ubuntu-910">How to Dual and Triple Boot Windows 7, Apple Mac OS X and Ubuntu 9.10 on a Laptop/Computer</a>

;);););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););)