I write a Vista driver for Intel Mac IR device

xxxin

117 posts in this topic

I clarify the installation steps here.

1. Install the device driver by MacIR.inf on the "USB human interface device" with the exclamation mark in Vista device manager. If you don't know how to install device driver manually, please find some computer expert around you to do that.

2. Then run MacIR.exe. MacIR.exe won't do anything if the driver is not installed properly.

I clarify the installation steps here.

1. Install the device driver by MacIR.inf on the "USB human interface device" with the exclamation mark in Vista device manager. If you don't know how to install device driver manually, please find some computer expert around you to do that.

2. Then run MacIR.exe. MacIR.exe won't do anything if the driver is not installed properly.

I tried to install the the driver manually under the human user interface w/ ! mark...it starts to insall then i get its up to date... then i tried the MacIR.exe and nothing happened. i think some posted the same issue earlier in the topic. but no resolustion

I got it working. When i manually installed the driver and its says that is not digitally signed i unchecked the show compatible devices and it installed.. It totally works ...

Thanks alot for working drivers you are the man ...

unethical:

Great link. That got the bluetooth working!

xxxin:

Unfortunately, the Mac IR driver still doesn't work. I used the dpinst.exe on your driver and got no complaints, but I still get this window when trying to apply it to my HID device:

post-81233-1170590944_thumb.jpg

Has anyone got this working under Vista Ultimate?

Could you give a screen shot of the Vista device manager and the hardware ID of the "USB human interface device" with the exclamation mark?

You are using Vista Ultimate 32bit(not 64bit), right?

unethical:

Great link. That got the bluetooth working!

xxxin:

Unfortunately, the Mac IR driver still doesn't work. I used the dpinst.exe on your driver and got no complaints, but I still get this window when trying to apply it to my HID device:

post-81233-1170590944_thumb.jpg

Has anyone got this working under Vista Ultimate?

Using a manual install I got the remote to work with the diagnostic program. The MacIR.exe file will not do anything at all, but if I leave the diagnostic program running the background the remote can control any other windows. Any ideas as to how to make the remote work in all situations without having to open the diagnostic program every time? The following is the diagnostic result:

0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xC8 0x0A (up)

0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xC8 0x0C (down)

0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xC8 0x09 (left)

0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xC8 0x06 (right)

0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xC8 0x05 (play/pause)

0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xC8 0x03 (menu)

Also, does anyone know what Performance Counters are in my Device Manager that are still not working? Is there a driver I can get somehow?

FYI, this is a 20-inch iMac 2.16 C2D. Thanks.

Edited by wildd86

That's really interesting. Actaully, MacIR.exe behaves exactly the same as MacIRDiag.exe except for the debug output.

That's to say, if you got your remote to work with the diagnostic program, it should work with MacIR.exe. MacIR.exe will run in the background and simulate keyboard inputs when you press buttons in the Mac remote control.

Please reboot your machine and run MacIR.exe immediately after you logon your computer.

Using a manual install I got the remote to work with the diagnostic program. The MacIR.exe file will not do anything at all, but if I leave the diagnostic program running the background the remote can control any other windows. Any ideas as to how to make the remote work in all situations without having to open the diagnostic program every time? The following is the diagnostic result:

0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xC8 0x0A (up)

0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xC8 0x0C (down)

0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xC8 0x09 (left)

0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xC8 0x06 (right)

0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xC8 0x05 (play/pause)

0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xC8 0x03 (menu)

Also, does anyone know what Performance Counters are in my Device Manager that are still not working? Is there a driver I can get somehow?

FYI, this is a 20-inch iMac 2.16 C2D. Thanks.

Edited by xxxin

Actually, I've tried that many times and this time it seemed to actually work. All is well now. I just have to test if it works after another reboot or if I should add to the startup items. Thanks.

I added it to the startup menu and that works. The problem is that now when I shutdown, it has to exit that program first. Any ideas on how to have it run in the background without it slowing the shutdown?

Edited by wildd86

Which version of the driver are you using?

If it's 1.0.0.4, the shutdown problem has been fixed...

Actually, I've tried that many times and this time it seemed to actually work. All is well now. I just have to test if it works after another reboot or if I should add to the startup items. Thanks.

I added it to the startup menu and that works. The problem is that now when I shutdown, it has to exit that program first. Any ideas on how to have it run in the background without it slowing the shutdown?

This driver works fine for me in Vista Ultimate on a Macbook Pro. I would have expected the remote to function slightly differently in Windows Media Player as the pause and play/resume works as start and stop and the up and down arrows scroll up and down the playlist (you still have to select or 'play' the file) and the forward and back buttons do not move forward and back in the playlist.

Still - awesome job.

1.0.0.4 working great here, no issues whatsoever.

This would probably be difficult, but is it possible to set it up so that when a song is playing in Media Center, the up/down on the remote becomes volume up/down?

Also, does this driver make it possible to use alternate Media Center remotes? Or is it just the Apple remote?

Edited by ErBiC

I still can't get this driver to work. I look at where it shows the Devices for my computer and I see the troubled Human Interface Device. I then try to update the drivers but I says that "Windows already has an up-to-date driver installed." I then uninstall the driver and go to "Add Devices." It then doesn't show any new devices so I just manually select the driver in the winmacirdriver folder. When I install it it appears in my Device Manager as "Mac IR" yet it still shows that it is "troubled." I then try to use the MacIR.exe in the folder and nothing happens. I then tried to use the MacIRDiag.exe, nothing also happens (I get the command prompt to open and it closes within' a split second.

Any idea on how to fix this?

Are you using 1.0.0.4 version?

Please check the version of the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MacIR.dll

I still can't get this driver to work. I look at where it shows the Devices for my computer and I see the troubled Human Interface Device. I then try to update the drivers but I says that "Windows already has an up-to-date driver installed." I then uninstall the driver and go to "Add Devices." It then doesn't show any new devices so I just manually select the driver in the winmacirdriver folder. When I install it it appears in my Device Manager as "Mac IR" yet it still shows that it is "troubled." I then try to use the MacIR.exe in the folder and nothing happens. I then tried to use the MacIRDiag.exe, nothing also happens (I get the command prompt to open and it closes within' a split second.

Any idea on how to fix this?

xxxin:

I think I found the error:

flq:                     SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA:
    flq:                          Description  - [windows cd]
    flq:                          SourcePath   - [C:\Windows\INF]
    flq:                          SourceFile   - [winusb.sys]
    flq:                          Flags        - 0x00000000
    flq:                     {SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA}
    flq:                     {SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA - exit(0x00000000)}
!!!  flq:                     SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA: returned FILEOP_ABORT.
!!!  flq:                     Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
    flq:                     {SPFILENOTIFY_ENDQUEUE}
    flq:                     {SPFILENOTIFY_ENDQUEUE - exit(0x00000001)}
!    bak:                     Install failed, attempting to restore original files.

It seems the system can't find winusb.sys. Any idea how I can get that file or library?

I can find winusb.sys in C:\Windows\System32\drivers. I think it's a standard component of Windows Vista. I really have no ideas on why you don't have it.

Are you using Windows Vista Ultimate or Home Premium?

xxxin:

I think I found the error:

It seems the system can't find winusb.sys. Any idea how I can get that file or library?

I'm using Ultimate, downloaded via MSDN volume license. That particular install is on three different computers (my mac mini, a powerbook, and another mac mini) and the driver hasn't worked on any of them.

Anyway! I searched the c:\windows folder, found an instance on winusb.sys and copied it to my drivers folder - and the driver installed this time! I can't seem to get the receiver working, though. The macirdiag.exe console opens fine, but nothing happens when I press the keys on my remote. No codes. This makes me a little suspicious: maybe there are more files missing or a wrong version of winusb.sys or something?

Maybe it would be helpful if you got the entire log? I've attached it to this post. The exclamation points seem to be warnings and errors.

logfile.txt

Could you email me the screen shot of the device manager and the "Mac IR" device or post them here?

Please also include the driver version page and the hardware ID page. Thanks!

I'm using Ultimate, downloaded via MSDN volume license. That particular install is on three different computers (my mac mini, a powerbook, and another mac mini) and the driver hasn't worked on any of them.

Anyway! I searched the c:\windows folder, found an instance on winusb.sys and copied it to my drivers folder - and the driver installed this time! I can't seem to get the receiver working, though. The macirdiag.exe console opens fine, but nothing happens when I press the keys on my remote. No codes. This makes me a little suspicious: maybe there are more files missing or a wrong version of winusb.sys or something?

Maybe it would be helpful if you got the entire log? I've attached it to this post. The exclamation points seem to be warnings and errors.

logfile.txt

Hey, great app!

Is there a way that you can enable functions such as "pause" and "play", and "volume up" and "volume down"?

Such as maybe if you hold down a button it will control the sound, and if you hold down the middle button it will play/pause the song.

Thanks again for this awesome app!