I write a Vista driver for Intel Mac IR device

xxxin

117 posts in this topic

Is it version 1.0.0.3? Did you install the driver by MacIR.inf? Did the driver installation succeed?

Vista Ultimate

Mac Book Pro 17" C2D

I have the same hardware ID and it's on the same port.

However running "MacIR.exe" does *nothing*.

Thanks for trying!

OK, I managed to install the 1.0.0.4 Driver (had to install in manually).

The debugger run ok, here's my output:

Macbook Pro 17" C2D

IR Code: 0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xFC 0x0B (Up)

IR Code: 0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xFC 0x0D (Down)

IR Code: 0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xFC 0x08 (Left)

IR Code: 0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xFC 0x07 (Right)

IR Code: 0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xFC 0x04 (Play/Pause)

IR Code: 0x25 0x87 0xEE 0xFC 0x02 (Menu)

I noticed that there is a different result when you any of the buttons down.

I'm happy to help with debugging/development. I have Visual Studio 2005 etc.

Sorry for the delay.

I was having trouble at first installing the driver through the Add Hardware Devices panel in the Control Panel, but after I tried to install it directly through the Device Manager by right-clicking on the device in the list, and updating the driver software, it worked fine.

It works very well in Windows Media Center, as well as in Quicktime Player! In iTunes, it seems the left button and pause button are switched, and there are some other weird problems regarding this program. I'm sure you can see it for yourself if you install it on your machine.

I'm very impressed and grateful for your work on this driver! Thank you! Something that could be nice for a future release could be the ability to open Windows Media Center directly with the menu button on the Apple Remote similar to the way Front Row works in Mac OS X.

Again, Thank you for your work!

A feature request...

It looks like your driver is flagged as a removable device, so that it shows up in the 'safely remove hardware' taskbar. Any chance you would change that state? I would rather not have to hide that annoying taskbar icon.

Ken

Good suggestion. I'll consider it in the next release. Hopefully, a little change in the INF file might fix the problem...

A feature request...

It looks like your driver is flagged as a removable device, so that it shows up in the 'safely remove hardware' taskbar. Any chance you would change that state? I would rather not have to hide that annoying taskbar icon.

Ken

Yes, I'm considering a per app setting for the key mapping.

Sorry for the delay.

I was having trouble at first installing the driver through the Add Hardware Devices panel in the Control Panel, but after I tried to install it directly through the Device Manager by right-clicking on the device in the list, and updating the driver software, it worked fine.

It works very well in Windows Media Center, as well as in Quicktime Player! In iTunes, it seems the left button and pause button are switched, and there are some other weird problems regarding this program. I'm sure you can see it for yourself if you install it on your machine.

I'm very impressed and grateful for your work on this driver! Thank you! Something that could be nice for a future release could be the ability to open Windows Media Center directly with the menu button on the Apple Remote similar to the way Front Row works in Mac OS X.

Again, Thank you for your work!

I have just brought a MACbook, and find there is a IR remote driver for windows is ready. What a good job!

But in Media Center of Vista when I play a movie, It seems can not contral the sound voluem any more, I don't whether this function can be added on next version because too less button on remoter, but If thers is any posiibilite we can use another more button remoter to control Media Center? It may led a lot of work, but may be a lot of people will be crazy about this function.

I found this forum when I google "Performance Counter Vista driver Macbook", but it looks like lotech have the same warning of performance counter in device manager too. Will this warning lead any problem?

And this driver looks can not work on Windows XP, or there have been any driver for XP but I have not noticed?

I am a new man of Mac, Thanks for your guys!

Hi,

I'm having trouble installing the driver. This is how I do it:

* There's a non-working USB HID device in my device manager.

* Choose "update driver", click myself to "have disk".

* Point it to the unzipped directory.

* "Mac IR Device" shows up. I select it.

* Vista warns me that the driver is not signed, I choose to continue anyway.

* Vista begins installing the driver, but after a second or so I get this:

Windows found driver software for your hardware but encountered an error while trying to install it.

Mac IR Device

The system cannot find the file specified.

I'm on a Mac Mini, Vista Ultimate, I checked my hardware id and it's the same as the one in the .inf file. Can you help? Is there a way to check which file is missing?

Could you help to list all the file names in your driver directory?

Hi,

I'm having trouble installing the driver. This is how I do it:

* There's a non-working USB HID device in my device manager.

* Choose "update driver", click myself to "have disk".

* Point it to the unzipped directory.

* "Mac IR Device" shows up. I select it.

* Vista warns me that the driver is not signed, I choose to continue anyway.

* Vista begins installing the driver, but after a second or so I get this:

Windows found driver software for your hardware but encountered an error while trying to install it.

Mac IR Device

The system cannot find the file specified.

I'm on a Mac Mini, Vista Ultimate, I checked my hardware id and it's the same as the one in the .inf file. Can you help? Is there a way to check which file is missing?

I think those are all files you needed.

Did you ever install the previous release of this driver?

Maybe you could try to extract the driver files to a folder in the desktop and try again...

Installation.txt

MacIR.dll

MacIR.exe

MacIR.inf

MacIRDiag.exe

Troubles.txt

WdfCoInstaller01005.dll

WUDFUpdate_01005.dll

The files are all in the same directory. Maybe it's case-sensitive or something?

Hi there,

I'm trying to follow the instructions various people have used in this post to get the apple remote working on my new install of Vista home premium on my brand spanking new MBP 17" C2D.... But I'm hitting a brick wall.

I'm using the files from sound forge 1.0.0.4 ... and I'm installing them manually as described in previous posts.... the device is showing up as Mac IR Device but still has the exclamation mark against it :-(

Also when running the MacIRDiag program in console it spits back "Failed to open device. Error 3"

Can anyone shed some light as to what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

Did you ever install the previous release of the driver?

Can you open the property page of the Mac IR device and tell me the error code in Vista device manager?

Are you using Vista RTM or a beta build?

:thumbsup_anim:

I did not install any of the previous versions.... only 1.0.0.4

I'm using RTM Vista Home Premium.

The error code in Device manager is : "The device cannot start. (Code 10)"

The location for the device is also coming up as unknown.

Not sure if this is related, but I have am also getting another USB Human Inferface Device showing up with an exclamation mark. This one has Microsoft drivers installed, and come up with the same error as MacIR in device status ie (Code 10). It reports a location of "Port_#0002.Hub_30003"

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I have Exactly the same problem

MacMini 1.63 Core Duo

Vista Ultimate SB Edition 32 Bit

Exclamation Mark against driver in device manager :thumbsup_anim:

Both MacIR and MacIRDiag will not launch either. MacIRDiag will VERY briefly launch a console window but immediately close again.

MacIR does nothing

How can I help?

Hi,

I tried the driver on a powerbook (also running Vista Ultimate) and it's the same thing there: the system cannot find the file specified. It doesn't say anymore than that.

My log file on the mac mini shows that it returns with "InstallStatus 2", but that's all the info I can find, it doesn't say which file is missing. I looked in the inf file and found references to a wudf.cat which I can't find anywhere on the system, maybe that's nothing, I'm just poking around. However, I know Vista has copied at least one file because in c:\windows\system32\drivers\UMDF there's a MacIR.dll. Do you know if there's a log file that shows exactly what files are missing?

Here's a screenshot of the 2 devices on me machine.

post-81305-1170478241_thumb.jpg

Are you installing this thing the right way? It makes a difference as to whether you're using the Install Hardware wizard in Control Panel versus the Device Manager, etc. Check out my previous post detailing what I needed to do to install the driver correctly.

I was having this same problem before I installed it a certain way.

hello, i really at a loss at how to install the drivers for mac ir untder vista ultimate final. I ran the exe and nothing happened.. i tried installing from the device manager under the "human interface" but mac doesnt show up in device manager . I also tried insalling through the add hardware wizard and it started and then just said that it couldnt install it. I followed all of the instructions for intallation.

I attached a screenshot of my device manager. Hopefully someone help me.

I have a Black MacBook 2.0 with 2 intel core duo 2 2 gigs of ram and 200 gigs of space. running OS X 10.8 and vista ultimate final.

post-80605-1170552392_thumb.jpg

Hmm, I post my screen shot here.

1. The hardware ID might be different across different Intel Mac models.

2. Before installing the driver, Mac IR device should be shown as "USB human interface device" with a exclamation mark in Vista device manager.

3. If you have multiple exclamation marks in "Human interface devices" section of the device manager. Change the hardware ID in MacIR.inf and try to install the driver on all the devices with the exclamation mark.

My environment.

1. Intel Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66G(T2300).

2. Vista Ultimate 32bit.

3. I didn't install any drivers from Bootcamp CD except the audio driver from Sigmatel.

post-77320-1170555479_thumb.jpg

Hmm, I post my screen shot here.

1. The hardware ID might be different across different Intel Mac models.

2. Before installing the driver, Mac IR device should be shown as "USB human interface device" with a exclamation mark in Vista device manager.

3. If you have multiple exclamation marks in "Human interface devices" section of the device manager. Change the hardware ID in MacIR.inf and try to install the driver on all the devices with the exclamation mark.

My environment.

1. Intel Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66G(T2300).

2. Vista Ultimate 32bit.

3. I didn't install any drivers from Bootcamp CD except the audio driver from Sigmatel.

post-77320-1170555479_thumb.jpg

I checked the MacIR.inf file and it matches the first value but the second one is missing... it is under the human interface w/ exclamation mark. What can i do to correct it meaning does it need the second value? Should i uninstall the other drivers from the bootcamp CD? i installed them all using microsoft intallation tool.

the exe wont run still...

here are screenshots of both the MacIR.nf and the value of the hardware id

post-80605-1170568993_thumb.jpg

post-80605-1170569007_thumb.jpg