170 posts in this topic

New seed on ADC.

"My god, its full of stars!"

Known Issues:

- Installing and running localized languages is not recommended at this time

- MacBuddy may not run after installation. Rebooting will launch MacBuddy

- Using the 'Open' command may cause longer opening times

- NFS mounted files cannot be accessed

- iSync's plug-in maker requires CFBundleIdentifiers to be unique per plugin to avoid corruption when multiple plug-ins are installed

- Heavy paging may result in zeros being written to the address space

- User cannot copy text from applications launched via SSH

- Disconnecting from your network while connected to servers may hang your machine

- Syncing calendars through iSync does not work at this time

- A system panic may occur with ATI cards while running QuickTime Player with iChat and Preview

- 'Add Printer' dialog appears behind frontmost windows

- QuickLook's full screen mode may not quit in certain situations

- Unable to restore from Time Machine backups created in MacBuddy

- Application Launch Restrictions in Parental Controls not being enforced at this time

- User cannot install the Adobe Suite

- Cannot enable accounts for Windows Sharing

- Finder may quit in certain situations when using the Cmd-Tab keys

- Terminal: Ctrl-Space does not send any data to the shell which may cause issues with the mark in Emacs

- Terminal: Performance with millions of lines of text is currently limited

- Upgrades from the WWDC Developer Seed are not supported

- Upgrades from previous releases are not recommended

Changes in Leopard Since 9A321

- HIToolbox provides new HIRect/Point/Shape-based Window Manager API for resolution independence compatibility

Terminal:

Settings are now stored in Terminal "Profiles" rather than .term files. There are two ways old .term settings are migrated to the new Terminal:

- Automatic import of default .term file and terminal settings at the first launch 

- Importing of arbitrary .term files other than your default one

After migrating settings a new Terminal window will open and you should save the window settings as new profiles using Shell->Save Profile

- Tab support

- Terminal now lets you save a multi-window configurations through workspaces which are available through the "Terminal" menu.

QuickLook

- QuickLook APIs have been updated

- quicklookd can be used to test your QuickLook generators. Use "quicklookd -h" to see the list of options.

From the known issues listed above, this build looks quite buggy (maybe even worse than 9a303). Can somebody please report on how the general usability is? I will be installing this on my external once I get it, so I will be able to share some information.

Still an issue with iTunes and Quicktime playing back purchased videos. They play the video just fine, but no audio to speak of.

Also, under PowerPC, multitasking performance blows the proverbial fat one. For the test, I tried installing Xcode while I am typing this message, and try waiting on a message to show up one character per second.

Yes, it sucks.

Also, under Activity monitor, all the tasks asre showing up as PowerPC Architecture rather than Universal as they are under my Macbook Pro.

It looks like more of an Installer problem where it's priority is set much too high.

Oh, and pinstripes are back, with a vengance!

That, and an all new, super sexy set of screensavers!

Edited by Adrian Fogge

Also of note, it looks like while present in this build, ZFS is pretty... messed up, yes that was the word, messed.

"Partitioning encountered error on disk disk1s2: File system formatter failed (-9944)"

It would also appear that manually creating a ZFS Partition through zpool actually creates a UFS partition instead.

Right now, I am working on Partitioning through 9A321 and then deploying a 9A343 installation on top of ZFS as I did in my initial ZFS tests.

Expect an update this evening.

Edited by Adrian Fogge

If that were the case, I would have mentioned that "Black Gloss is taking it's hold." not that "Pinstripes are back with a vengance".

Is it possible to be more specific about that one: Have certain apps changed there appearance?

Ok, after some real heavy duty testing, it really looks like 343 is not ready for prime time.

ZFS is crippled.

Performance for any task is a joke, from G4 to C2D.

It seems that one of the biggest changes in the entire system is moving from "Apple Computer, Inc." to "Apple, Inc." As every single app everywhere has the new line.

Time Machine is borked. It is now forgetting which language you are using when doing backups (All my apps got copied over as German on an English installation).

The dock crashes constantly (Not Finder, the Dock).

Sure there is a new screensaver, and a few others have been renamed...

Add to that, Spaces and Expose are severely borked and will often forget that you have gone back to the desktop. Then, one needs to go in and out again to actually use the computer again.

Sure Arabesque is super sexy in all of it's Quartz Composer glory, and Retro looks very, um... retro.

Frankly, when doing anything in the background and typing in the foreground, 343 is not able to keep up, even when doing something as simple as a copy.

2GB in both my Powerbook and my Macbook Pro.

It is definitely not a RAM issue.

Most of the stuff appears to be Processor related, where even the most simple operations can bring a high end system to it's knees.

As far as which is "better", the only reason why I was looking at upgrading from 321 to 343 was to be able to watch videos again, and that was not fixed. This build is far too screwy for me to even consider running Xcode on. Given how horribly the system runs when using Textedit as the ONLY application, I can not imagine what would happen trying to run a full IDE.

On another note, I tried running World of Warcraft on my Macbook Pro 17" C2D (2.33GHz, 2GB DDR2, 256MB Graphics Memory) under 343 with the LOWEST settings at 1680x1050, and the game crashed in ~1 second of walking. It runs at 800x600 at the lowest settings though.

For comparison, under 10.4.9, I can run WoW at 1680x1050 with all settings maxed out and still get ~50FPS out in the world, and ~40FPS in cities.

Well if developers can't develop their apps on the new build, then there is no use for this build. I dont have any proof, but they arent going to wait a whole month for a new build since it seems you can hardly do much on the new build.