Changing M/B for stable OSx86

6 posts in this topic

I've made a bad decision, and i made a PC with a M/B that isn't compatible with OSx86.

Unfortunately, i did chose an INTEL DG965WH, and afterwards i found out that isn't yet supported.

Allthough i tried many images, none of them managed to boot.

Right now the PC is fully working with XP and it is a DVD Authoring machine.

So here is the question that is spinning around my head for a long time now.

Either i could build another machine from scratch (expensive solution), or i could exchange only the M/B with some supported one.

Preferably the ASUS P5LD2-VM

My hard parts:

INTEL DG965WH

C2D 6400 (no overclock)

2 X 1GB Kingston

Sata2 Raptor 74gb

Sata2 Samsung 400gb

Sata Seagate 160gb

IDE DVD-RW LiteOn

The system will be no overclocked and will be used for FCP and DVD Authoring.

So, do you people believe that i must change the M/B ? or are there any plans in the near future for 965 support (X3000, audio, LAN).

I was hopping for some 965 iMac from the EXPO, but .....

Let me know please.

Regards

Thank you very much for your answer.

My main concern on this M/B is the limitation on the PCI slots (only 2), and that if you put a big Graphics card on the PCI-express, the 1 PCI becomes not available any more. (i am not sure if this happens with P5LD2-VM, but with the P5LD2-VM DH it sure happens)

I also see right now, that only the P5LD2-VM DH (109 euros) is available in my country, which i think is microATX.

So another option is CONROE945G-DVI, witch is (78 euros) also compatible, but i may have to put 2 PCI cards for (Firewire and LAN).

But i never had any experience with Asrock boards before. (I heard that it is cheap Asus brand)

Another option is to buy an expensive 975 board, but in that case, not only the price for the board goes way up hight (250 euros), i will also need a Graphics card too (another 120 euros).

But, i don't play Games at all, and don't need overclocking.

So what would you do people in my situation?

Thank's a lot for any help

Reagrds

I'm looking at the Intel DG965WHMKR as an OS X86 board. It really is a good board. Core 2 Duo support, DDR800 support, Intel GMA x3000. Not much more needed.

It isn't well supported by OS X at the moment. However, it is a good board, and MacEFIx86 is working on the problem. This is an EFI board, so this project could fix the problems with OS X support.

So another option is CONROE945G-DVI, witch is (78 euros) also compatible, but i may have to put 2 PCI cards for (Firewire and LAN).

But i never had any experience with Asrock boards before. (I heard that it is cheap Asus brand)

It's a good choice. Check out the conroe945g-dvi thread on this forum. Networking works.

Frizbot, yes that is a good motherboard, but I would still stick to 915/945/975 for OSX86 usage.

I'm looking at the Intel DG965WHMKR as an OS X86 board. It really is a good board. Core 2 Duo support, DDR800 support, Intel GMA x3000. Not much more needed.

It isn't well supported by OS X at the moment. However, it is a good board, and MacEFIx86 is working on the problem. This is an EFI board, so this project could fix the problems with OS X support.

I have no luck installing on this board.

I may wait for any future development on the 965G and see.

But i too believe that this is a very good board and i always had good experience with Intel boards.

It's a good choice. Check out the conroe945g-dvi thread on this forum. Networking works.

I still haven't done anything, as i am still between Asus one and the Asrock one.

Anyone using Final Cut Studio with Asrock? Any problems?

I saw that many people have stable working machine using the Asus P5LD2-VM.

Regards