DVD Copy Software

C0mputerNick

36 posts in this topic

Ive been looking for a Mac alternative to Slysoft's AnyDVD and CloneDVD which i use alot in windows.

Ive found Fast DVD Copy for mac, but for some reason my Hackintosh wont actually burn the DVD once its been transcoded.

(but i can burn normal DVDs that i create, like for file backups, so i know my dvd burner works)

Are there any programs out there which decrypt the DVD first like Fasy DVD Copy and transcode?

Popcorn doesnt, Toast doesnt do transcoding (shrinking dual layer to single layer)

What about a program like AnyDVD for mac? something that will automaticly take the encryption off any media (CD of DVD) you

put in the machine? do they exist?

I normally make backups of every DVD i purchase and use the copy for playing and going on trips and store the original in its case

so it wont get damaged or scratched up.

Thanks for any help

Mac The Ripper will rip and de-css the original DVD: http://www.mactheripper.org/ but wont burn it.

http://www.metakine.com/products/dvdremaster/ appears to shrink to single-layer.

http://www.dvd2one.com/ might be useful.

any use?

Looks like it will rip/convert it but not copy it to another DVD?

But its a step in the right direction. thanks!

I have used Fairmount which comes with DVDRemaster. You have to have VLC installed, but VLC is free. Just install VLC, then get DVDRemaster. The Fairmount is the bagle icon. Put a dvd in, then run Fairmount. It changes the dvd to a mounted disk drive and decodes the whole disk. Copy the whole disk to the hard drive. Then I use Toast 7 Titanium and use it to copy movie only and shrink it. I have done it once, and it worked great. I did put Narnia in and it took a little while on my hackintosh, but it decoded it when DVDShrink has issues with it.

I do miss taking episode discs and ripping individual episodes. Can Mac The Ripper do that?

I have used Fairmount which comes with DVDRemaster. You have to have VLC installed, but VLC is free. Just install VLC, then get DVDRemaster. The Fairmount is the bagle icon. Put a dvd in, then run Fairmount. It changes the dvd to a mounted disk drive and decodes the whole disk. Copy the whole disk to the hard drive. Then I use Toast 7 Titanium and use it to copy movie only and shrink it. I have done it once, and it worked great. I did put Narnia in and it took a little while on my hackintosh, but it decoded it when DVDShrink has issues with it.

I do miss taking episode discs and ripping individual episodes. Can Mac The Ripper do that?

Well ive done what you said all except for the toast part, i decided to try DVDRemaster after coping the video_ts folder to my harddrive, and its now saying i have over 8 hours to go until its finished, and that doesnt include the 25 mins it took to copy it to my harddrive. I was coping dvds in under 30mins in windows, i hope i can find something as fast, almost half a day for a dvd copy is kinda crazy. do you recall how long narnia took you? its a pretty long movie as well. ill try toast next just to see if the speed improves, but dvdremaster looked nice. maybe the speed will pick up.

Thanks

Well ive done what you said all except for the toast part, i decided to try DVDRemaster after coping the video_ts folder to my harddrive, and its now saying i have over 8 hours to go until its finished, and that doesnt include the 25 mins it took to copy it to my harddrive. I was coping dvds in under 30mins in windows, i hope i can find something as fast, almost half a day for a dvd copy is kinda crazy. do you recall how long narnia took you? its a pretty long movie as well. ill try toast next just to see if the speed improves, but dvdremaster looked nice. maybe the speed will pick up.

Thanks

Well I have to report, I just installed Toast 8, and it took the DVD, transcoded it and burned it in less than 30 mins, and it didnt complain it was copy protected either.

I dont know if its because I have fairmount installed or what, but it wasnt open and it wasnt used, so it looks like toast 8 is an all in one, one click solution for backing up and coping dvds. woohoo!

Im watching it now and its perfect quality.

I did look at Handbrake as well, but it looks like its just a ripper, not a full solution.

Thanks for all the replies.

Hey munky, are you on the ripdifferent forums, cause someone has the same icon as you and i was wondering if it was you ;)

nope. i stole the image off the internet at random, so its probably in use by a few different folks.

if i ever take a good photo of a monkey myself, i'll use that instead :rolleyes:

forget everything you guys just said.

go download handbrake

handbrake.m0k.com

that's what i've been using since day one.

But i can see no place in that software where you can burn the dvd when its complete. it looks like just a ripper, and i wanted a full copy solution.

And plus ive messed with different (linux) programs before, where you can adjust the streams and bitrates and whatnot, and have never had good

success with those.

if you can tell me what the settings should be for a DVD and how to make it an all in one solution, i might give it a shot.

same thing with mactheripper. I dont want to have an entire DVD on my HD, i want it copied to another DVD, with as little, if not no input from me.

the easier the better.

thanks for the reply.

Edited by C0mputerNick

oneclickdvdcopy in combo with anydvd sounds like what you want. will they run in crossover?

Never thought about crossover. I didnt know how it actually interacts with the hardware, like if the dvd burner would show up like its suppose to etc. but it might be worth a shot. but right now toast 8 is working perfectly.

• 1 month later...
i actually need a software like this too.

Fast DVD COPY won't run at all for some reason.

Toast 8 actually doesnt copy everything, more times than not i have to use Fairmount to copy the DVD to my HD then use Toast to put it back onto DVD.

Wish there was a better way.

Well I have to report, I just installed Toast 8, and it took the DVD, transcoded it and burned it in less than 30 mins, and it didnt complain it was copy protected either.

I dont know if its because I have fairmount installed or what, but it wasnt open and it wasnt used, so it looks like toast 8 is an all in one, one click solution for backing up and coping dvds. woohoo!

Im watching it now and its perfect quality.

I did look at Handbrake as well, but it looks like its just a ripper, not a full solution.

Thanks for all the replies.

i used fairmount to mount the DVD, then what do i do?

i have toast 8, but how can i copy to DVD? i only have one DVD drive too.

i used fairmount to mount the DVD, then what do i do?

i have toast 8, but how can i copy to DVD? i only have one DVD drive too.

Fairmount re-mounts the DVD as a folder and removes the encryption so you can copy it.

go into the remounted folder, find the VIDEO_TS folder and copy it to your harddrive somewhere.

go into toast 8 and choose the VIDEO_TS option, drag your newly copied folder into toast, and it

will auto resize the dvd to fit on any single layer dvd.

and presto, a perfect copy of the original.

i recommend using sony dvd+r disks for best results on a wide range of dvd players.

The problem with FairMount is that sometimes the DVDs have junk cells/IFOs which sometimes cause your burn to be messed up.

MacTheRipper 3.14d has been released and can combat every single protection into a nice VIDEO_TS folder and make the DVD region free which from there can be burned using toast or popcorn, or compressed using dvd2oneX.

MTR also now has a patch system fully implemented to combat upcoming protections and warns you of these "junk" cells.

A donation of $15 to geezerbuttz is well worth beta testing the newest editions.