OSX, Vista nd XP - Acronis...!?!

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

OK, so I've had OSX and XP running on my PC for ages now using Acronis bootloader to select the OS at boot time. All works sweet. I'm using 10.4.7 JaS disk.

I've just tried to install OSX on my new laptop, as I just got the 10.4.8 disk and want to try out Dual Core action! The laptop already had XPa nd Vista dual booting (using the Vista boot manager).

I created a new partition, moved it to the first place on the drive and formatted (using SuSe live DVD) to AF (0xaf). I popped the JaS 10.4.8 DVD in, booted it up, installed OSX and it rebooted.

Now the problems begin:

Acronis will not find the OSX partition. It only finds the XP one. I know it wont find Vista, but that's fine. I have the Vista boot loader on the XP partition so when I select XP in Acronis it starts the Vista loader and I can select XP or Vista. Why wont Acronis find the OSX partition now? I even had a look through my PC's Acronis loader to see if I could find anything pointing me in the right direction...but nothing.

I have just had a go with Chain0 - put chain0 onto C:\ and added to boot.ini: C:\chain0="Mac OS X"

When it boots now, the Vista loader has an extra option for Mac OS X. But when I select it I get a 'chain loader error'.

I also tried copying ther chain0 file to the root of the Vista partition.

What I dont understand is, how does chain0 know just for "Mac OS X" - which partition to load from?? Does the entry in the quotes have to be the exact name of the partitoon label or something?

But the main annoyance for me is why Acronis wont just find the OS. I like Acronis. It works great on my PS. I just want a nice simple way of choosing. I dont want to now have to create a linux partition and use grub. But if that's the only other choice...

Any help with this would be appreciated! o)

Thanks.

I'm using Acronis just fine with OS X 10.4.8. Acronis did not automatically detect OS X, it actually detects a ShagOS partition, but you can manually create an OS loader menu object and boot OS X.

But I guess what you're saying is that Acronis will not detect the partition at all, as in free space. What version of Acronis are you using?

What kind of partition you created (primary, logical) for osx?

Before letting acronis os selector take charge, was osx running properly after reboot? Was it's darwin loader working well?

[As for vista being recognized by aoss, there's a trick to it in the GeniusBar, but it's mostly applies to people who haven't installed vista yet (e.g. to avoid putting its boot files in xp's partition).]

Does the entry in the quotes have to be the exact name of the partitoon label or something?
No. It could be "Janis Joplin", it wouldn't mind. The quote text is what you'll read in the menu. Edited by cbmkgd

OK, so - I took the long-winded (but very safe) approach of ghosting the XP and Vista images I had already on the laptop, wiped it, and recreated some partitions:

10GB (OSX) Fat32, then to 0xAF

15GB (WinXP) NTFS

20.5GB (Vista) NTFS

The Rest - Data. FAT32

I have installed OSX from the JaS 10.4.8 DVD. Then Ghosted the WinXP and Vista partitions back. After much annoyance and playing around I have the Vista bootloader booting XP and Vista. I also have Acronis detecting OSX (well, unknown, but it's OSX) and XP (which goes to the Vista loader for XP and Vista).

So all good there then.

But, not I'll tell you about my problems with 10.4.8. I actually found this before I sorted the XP and Vista images (I had to get these working ASAP cos it's my work laptop and I need it for tomorrow!) but I put that problem aside until the XP partition would boot. Which it now does.

So, I'd boot the OSX partition, it's load up, I'd get the language, name and IP settings screens. During this time my nouse wasn't working at all. It'd move a bit, but not where I wanted it to. A USB mounse didnt work either. So I filled in the forms using the keyboard only, and it continued.... The background was all blue with the little twirling wheel just below centre twirling away. It kind of stuttered and slowed but kept going for a few mins. Then the screen went black. And that was it.

I tried rebooting about 4 times, same process everytime. Filling in the form over again, and then the blue, then black screen.

I'm wonderin gif this could be a driver issue or something? Something about my selections in customisation?

I am using a Dell Latitude D820 Intel core duo. It's got the Nvidia graphics card and Intel wireless. Not sure about audio off hand. Broadcom wired network card i think.

I'm just installing 10.4.7 over it now cos I want it working, but would like to try the 10.4.8 again tomorrow...so if you have any ideas, it'd be hugely appreciated!!!! :tomato:)

Thanks!

Well, now it runs through all of the initial config, but after entering the IP settings I just get the blue background with the mouse arrow on the screen and that's it...

Nothing else. Nada. :unsure:(

I havent had to have my VGA cable plugged in during install or right now on this laptop. Which is a bit odd, becuase I had to have a VGA cable in ALWAYS on any other laptops I tried before with OSX.

Well, now it runs through all of the initial config, but after entering the IP settings I just get the blue background with the mouse arrow on the screen and that's it...

Nothing else. Nada. :o(

I havent had to have my VGA cable plugged in during install or right now on this laptop. Which is a bit odd, becuase I had to have a VGA cable in ALWAYS on any other laptops I tried before with OSX.

Oh, and in those instructions:

mount -uw /

cd /volume/(system volume)/system/library/extensions/

rm -R IOPCCardFamily.kext

rm -R ApplePCCard16ATA.kext

rm -R ApplePCCardATA.kext

shutdown -r now

now when you boot hit f8 and type in cpus=1 and voula you're in OSX 10.4.8. :unsure:

I didnt have the IOPCCardFamily.kext. The rest were there. There was IOPCIFamily.kext I think (or something very similar), but I left it.

Edit:

Even now, half an hour later, the screen is all blue, but the mouse pointer moves fine. I dont understand! I might give it a go with hte VGA cable in, but dont think that'll help. It never worked at all the times I tried before without VGA, so if it's got this far I doubt that's the problem.

I think I'm gonna try installing 10.4.7.

Any suggestions?

Edited by matulike

• 3 weeks later...

I have looked at several guides to help me install Vista alongside an existing install of XP and OSX using Acronis as my booter yet with each guide, none of them quite gave me the results I am looking for. I want to see all three OS'es listed in Acronis and boot from my selection. Here is what I did to achieve my goal.

Please follow the following link to read more.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...8506&st=80#

Edited by borisbadenov