OS X for SSE (qemu)

Dragon

417 posts in this topic

I'll include both like a said before. It doesn't matter which turns out to be faster.

Oh, just realized that was one I took from knoppix, not qemu. So that means it's not running in ram and it is using kde, which makes things slower.

I am making a SLAX video now. Sorry for wasting your bandwidth lol. Will post in a few mins.

Dragon, is possible for you to record videos in another format? what your using at the minute hates quicktime, VLC and any codec I throw at it 0 if not it doesnt matter - keep up the good work.

and as soon as I get some more RAM for my Power Mac G3 I can put it back in my 733 coppermine and bash it till it runs :)

This sounds too good to be true. Admittedly the video you offered for download was a bit on the slow side. But could be useful if like me you want to test sites on the Safari 2 browser as I have OSX 10.2.8 in pearPC.

I understand that the reason you're using SLAX is for QEMU, however are there no SSE2-like emulators for windows that work? I stumbled upon this link http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/ which says its QEMU for windows. Still in alpha however. Would this Windows version of QEMU negate the need for SLAX or any interim OS?

If you'd have looked on the qemu homepage you would see that there was a windows version available aswell. Of course you can use it to run OS X inside windows for testing purposes, but the aim here is to get it running fast enough to be a usable OS for people who lack SSE2.

And BTW, the reason i'm using SLAX is because it can be loaded into ram which windows can't.

Also, that video was mainly slow because of a combination of things.

1. Laggy video capture

2. All of that was running inside a Vmware session

3. There was no qemu accelerator being used

When running natively, hopefully with all of these obstacles out of the way, we should be able to run at decent speeds.

@Dragon

I got way better speeds with PearPC in the past, but I wasn't running it in emulation. PearPC has an accelerator for Intel-processors built in. And I wasn't running it in a Linux LiveCD in VMWare either.

Sadly I can't find a PearPC binary for Linux (only source code) I"ll try to run PearPC for Windows in Wine (lol).

Why don't you apt-get it? That's what I was doing.

I haven't tested PearPC yet and I only have the 10.4.1 ppc install. Unless any of the other hackintosh dvd's are ppc aswell.

sudo apt-get install gcc

sudo apt-get install pearpc

The guys before said that you had to start qemu without it for it to work on p3, so I didn't give it much thought until now. But I just ran it (not with OS X) on my p3 with kqemu and it worked. Gained quite a bit of speed.

Mac-mini - Are you using Jagermeisters modified qemu?

wow... gonna give OS X a try? :(

qemu is a processor emulator, so presumably it will emulate SSE2 as well as SSE3.....?

will be very interesting to see what kind of speed we can get out of this... I have an old P3 733Mhz machine which i'd like to bring up to OS X :)