OS X for SSE (qemu)

Dragon

417 posts in this topic

OK, I just read the stuff off the SLAX website that you posted. And saw the mounting in memory stuff. It looks amazing. That killbill edition is just what we need. Nice find :rolleyes:

P.S sorry about not reading into that more, schoolwork is kind of piling up here...

What we need is minimal Darwin 8.8.1 compiled for SSE only, which is possible as we have the source. Also all darwin < 7.x.x was SSE i think. So i assume not much code does rely on SSE2, maybe only some simple checks.

A CPU kernelextension which intercepts SSE2 calls and translates them to SSE / (3dnow!) , much like Semthex has done with SSE3 emulation in the 8.8.1 kernel.

SSE2 has 144 instructions more than SSE which has 70. But most of those SSE2 instructions deal with double precision, and its questionable how much we need them.

The source of qemu might be useful for a list of translations of simd instructions.

Edited by oktar

That would take SOOO long it's not funny. SSE3 has 13 instructions and Semthex has taken months just to code an emulator for these. He is quite an experienced coder. Also Semthex's SSE3 emulator translates the calls into SSE2 equivalent calls meaning you would have to write the SSE3 emulator to translate to SSE. This is far too much work and would take years. Let's just continue to work on this qemu livecd.

no, i'm talking about taking the aqua ui off of say 10.3, replacing the kernal and low level part of os x with a x86 version of darwin. after all, the file system is still the same, and the ui will still be making calls to all the same parts of darwin. i'm just not to sure on how to seperate the ui from the base os.

First of all, 10.3 is PPC only. Secondly, the gui requires SSE2 emulation which we CAN'T do.

Anyway here is the 'evidence'. I will write a guide in about 2 hrs (watching a movie).

Dragon

post-18990-1170393604_thumb.jpg

Here are the instructions :

1. Download SLAX Kill Bill Edition from : http://www.slax.org/download.php

2. Burn ISO to cd using burning software such as "Nero" or "Disk utility"

3. Boot SSE computer using the SLAX CD.

4. At boot screen enter "slax copy2ram" or "slax toram" AND "flux" (for fluxbox desktop)

5. This will take several minutes.

6. After it has copied to RAM and has loaded the GUI, open up an xterm window.

7. Make sure you have a harddrive you can wipe in your pc.

8. You need to format that harddrive as ext2, so if you are ready to wipe it use the command - "mke2fs /dev/sda"

9. Input "Y" and press enter.

10. Then in xterm use these commands : "mkdir /mnt/harddrive" AND "mount -t ext2 /dev/sda /mnt/harddrive"

11. After it has finished creating the partition, connect to a pc on the network via Konqueror (you can open it from the flux menu) e.g (\\computername\).

12. Copy your tiger-x86-flat.img to /mnt/harddrive from konqueror. (open 2 windows)

13. Once that has finished, it will probably take 15 minutes or longer, go to your xterm window and use

"qemu -hda /mnt/harddrive/tiger-x86-flat.img -m 480 -no-kqemu -boot c"

and use "platform=X86PC "Graphics Mode"="800x600x16" -v" as usual.

14. Help me get this working with an accelerator.

Cheers,

Dragon

isn't that oldsql Deadmoo? I have my doubts any SSE cpu is really well working that way, maybe you should switch to something unique and antique like Rhapsody which will run with that old CPU (not meant as a offense). I doubt it will be possible to get another old in development Version of OSx for x86.

I need the modified qemu that Jagermeister posted to run the later install DVD's. I'm just using the deadmoo image currently because it works with the qemu that comes with the distro.

I will try to get Jagermeisters one compiled on SLAX and use that to boot up 10.4.8. Then I will go through all of the accelerators available and find one that works on SSE.

BTW, OS X doesn't run that badly (tested 30 mins ago). Not too slow that it's unusable, but it's not quite usable yet. I'll have to see what it's like with the accelerator.

if networking works, is there anything stopping these things being configured as Xgrid clients? That would make a load of boxes I have hanging around useful

also, slightly off-topic, is Xgrid universal? ie. does it matter if some computers are PPC and some are intel?

Edited by Embio

guys, I have a lot of school stuff that I have to do, can someone follow my instructions and post a benchmark?

i'll be finished this stuff in a couple of days and I will still be checking up on this post frequently.

Cool project. As someone said earlier similar projects has been in the works before, SoftPear is another one which hasen't been mention before.

PearPC is without sound and slow but the cool thing about it is that it seem really stable. As it is the PPC-version you could make updates without a problem just like a real Mac. I haven't had a single problem with a app who hasent run either when I tried it out in the past. I know someone has been working on a sound patch for PearPC, but I don't know it's status.

Anyway, whether you go for QEMU (which came out with a new version yesterday btw: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/) or PearPC or both, it will be very interesting to read about this progress.

@Baltazar: SoftPear is a completly different project, SoftPear is to run OSX applications in Windows/Linux. It's not comparable with PearOS.

note that you will need Xbench 1.2, the newest Xbench 1.3 doesn't work on 10.4.1. You can download 1.2 here

but I wouldn't use Xbench anyway. It's the actual performance that matters. Could you tell us how long it takes to boot OSX86 up, to launch individual applications like Safari etc?

Edited by MacRetail

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U4XZFYOX

This is :

XP Pro SP2 > Vmware > Slax > qemu(no accelerator) > OS X

So Slax is not even being run natively in this vid, and qemu is running without any acceleration. That is a fairly reasonable speed considering it's being virtualized inside another virtual machine with no acceleration...

I can tell you it's faster natively and nowhere near as low responsive as the vid. You will have to try native yourself because my p3 isn't hooked up to the network. If I get some free time tomorrow afternoon I will be looking for an accelerator.

I have hopes that with an accelerator we will have speeds fast enough to use as a main OS.

Dragon