• Please log in to reply
416 replies to this topic

g_face2k

g_face2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I took a long break from messing with my method, it started to piss me off. Any way I modify the dragon slax iso, basically put it on a diet. It uses a total of 156MB after loading Xorg using fluxbox, this is great cause it uses less memory than dragons iso. The problem is that even on my 1.2Ghz P3 it still runs slowwww! I'm gonna try to make a module using the stuff in this website http://alex.csgraf.de/self/?qemu/ , I hope to get a speed increase using this method.

On the core boot topic, the problem is that it doesn't work with a lot of the P3 mother board chipsets (I have the Intel 815 & 830) so it would limit who will actually benefit from this, especially laptop users. I wonder if it would be easier to find a cpu socket 370 converter (I know there used to be Pentium 1 to Pentium 3 converters) to plug in a pentium 4 and just do OSX natively that way OR via qemu+kqemu (if mother board chipset incompatibilities).

Well scratch that last one, I guess you can go P1 to P3 but P4's FSB is totally different so no P4 to P3 converter.

identity

identity

Voodoo fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

I took a long break from messing with my method, it started to piss me off. Any way I modify the dragon slax iso, basically put it on a diet. It uses a total of 156MB after loading Xorg using fluxbox, this is great cause it uses less memory than dragons iso. The problem is that even on my 1.2Ghz P3 it still runs slowwww! I'm gonna try to make a module using the stuff in this website http://alex.csgraf.de/self/?qemu/ , I hope to get a speed increase using this method.

On the core boot topic, the problem is that it doesn't work with a lot of the P3 mother board chipsets (I have the Intel 815 & 830) so it would limit who will actually benefit from this, especially laptop users. I wonder if it would be easier to find a cpu socket 370 converter (I know there used to be Pentium 1 to Pentium 3 converters) to plug in a pentium 4 and just do OSX natively that way OR via qemu+kqemu (if mother board chipset incompatibilities).

Well scratch that last one, I guess you can go P1 to P3 but P4's FSB is totally different so no P4 to P3 converter.

all the best.....

@nd!!

@nd!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Is This Dead (again)????

Embio

Embio

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
this topic is a staggering zombie, it isnt going to die :P

Cruxado

Cruxado

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Well... with TOH , Kalaway and iATKOS...

Why should we use Qemu? =P :)

@nd!!

@nd!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
TOH, Kalaway, iATKOS..... Dont understand, some info please

Ok, Ok I Know i must google it before posting.... so i found iATKOS, (uphuck), is a leopard DVD that let install Aditional Software, drivers etc, so your hackintosh can work well, but the question is ... is able ToH, Kalaway. or iAtkos to install SSE patches for our machines? or we have to run iATKOS under qemu?.. wahts the poitn with that?

Cruxado

Cruxado

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Those names I mentioned Enable you to Install Leopard on a PC with SSE2 (such as an Intel Pentium 4 processor, for example). The idea of using Qemu was to permit users to emulate a SSE3 (Dual Core Processors) environment for SSE2 processors...

So you see, in my opinion, there is no need for Qemu.

*There are also Patches for the mentioned DVD installers for AMD processors*

identity

identity

Voodoo fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
cruxado u r totally confused.....
qemu emulates sse2 not sse3(sse3 is half done i think)
iatkos kalyway have sse3 emulated kernel(wont run on sse only sys) so it emulates sse3 instructions for sse2 sys.....
so to install these os on an old sys u need sse2 emulator ie qemu.....

@nd!!

@nd!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
yeah but we can install iATKOS under qemu, and that must work without make any modifications to qemu

identity

identity

Voodoo fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
dead again?......
common people let us discuss abt this (anything u know abt running leo or tiger on old sys)......

anybody ?....interested or not?

Cruxado

Cruxado

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I was just testing the Qemu option to install Tiger on a P4... I was never developing anything. Try contacting the other memebers... like Dragon. Either that... or buy a new machine! jejeje... they are pretty cheap now a days.

Best of Luck!

identity

identity

Voodoo fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

I was just testing the Qemu option to install Tiger on a P4... I was never developing anything. Try contacting the other memebers... like Dragon. Either that... or buy a new machine! jejeje... they are pretty cheap now a days.

Best of Luck!

to me?....
i have 2 system one new and another old....me too testing like u in my old sys.....

identity

identity

Voodoo fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
how is boches is it better ?.....

JordanNB

JordanNB

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
So has this actually worked for someone? I'm considering purchasing a new rig, but I has socket A, meaning no SSE2! :P If it does work, how well does it work? Thanks! ;)

@nd!!

@nd!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
nop, it hasnt worked yet, but well keep trying...

eugenemacmahon

eugenemacmahon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

nop, it hasnt worked yet, but well keep trying...

Found a few interesting posts from a few guys talking about this very topic at http://forum.insanel...t=0#entry177972 . Interestingly, theres a person or two who say they could do it and are willing to participate in a team to complete this project.

Ok, the process they are talking about is different but they are talking about the same end result but without emulation which has to be a better option.

identity

identity

Voodoo fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
@all
well i have done it with the help of my system1 c on signature....
first installed jas 10.4.8 in vmware selecting intel packages although i have amd system(intel package should be selected compulsarily)....
then using qemu-img i converted it to raw format...ok next it ran successfully in qemu.......

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
srivathsa - what exactly did you get to work? was it usable? does the machine lack sse2?

identity

identity

Voodoo fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
ya my old sys lacks sse2 support.....chk my siganture...ya it was usable but very slow...

what i got is a working osx in sse only system through emulation.......

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
cool, well done :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy