• Please log in to reply
416 replies to this topic

g_face2k

g_face2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Thanx on the info the command "free" shows how much memory is left & how much your using which is great cause were trying to get the smallest foot print on ram. That Dragon slax popcorn is too big, it takes 228MB of ram to load fluxbox and 187MB with out loading fluxbox. Slax frodo uses 60MB (if you don't copy2ram) witch is good but am having a hell of a time trying to make a window manager module (I'm trying to use blackbox which is suppose to be smaller than fluxbox). I'll post back as soon as I get something going.

As for the Damn Small Linux suggestion, I must say it was a great one. They don't use the linux 2.6x kernal but a modify 2.4x kernel with support for newer equipment and I had it running in a windows qemu window, it took about 20MB. If i could remaster this distro with nothing but the window manager it uses, xterm and qemu i'm sure it would greatly benefit us.

I'm going to see if I get slax frodo working with blackbox, xterm and qemu (with the OSX patches) first since it uses the 2.6x kernel; and see how that works out. The dragon iso locks up my pc cause it takes up too much memory (i have only 448MB to work with).

g_face2k

g_face2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I ran Dam Small Linux from the live cd instead of qemu and I notice it actually takes around 70MB of ram. Right now I have Slax frodo running X.org with no window (i'm also able to run blackbox but I'm trying to see if we even need a window manager) manager taking up 70MB of ram but its inside vmware. I need to figure out if this will give us sound and networking abilities. I'll post again later.

identity

identity

Voodoo fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
http://www.frozentec...tent/livecd.php
chk this links it contans most live cd names..i dont know wich is best one for this task.................

identity

identity

Voodoo fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
i am downloading dsl .....will try to work with jas....

g_face2k

g_face2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I think that might be the way to go (DSL). I customized SLAX but it acts wiered and I can't really find support for it, at lest not for what I'm trying to do (Slax frodo +xorg +blackbox +qemu 9.0). If any one out there can help me with this I would appreciate it.

g_face2k

g_face2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
ok after searching for days on info I got Slax to boot into flux box using 156 MB of ram, its more than I would like it to be but looking at the packages it retain (like the wifi stuff) and running kernel 2.6.16 I think is OK. I need to iron out some edges on it first before i'm done. I also haven't use that qemu patch yet but I'm hopping to do it soon.

Is there absolutely no one else remotely interested in this?

I got my banged up ibm laptop running again so I'm hopping this work to bring live back to it.

More like a frankn laptop
IBM R31
1.2 GHz Celeron
USB 2.0 PCMCIA card
HD: Ipod 5G formated as ext2 with tiger img

identity

identity

Voodoo fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
all the best....i am busy now i cant try that.....

Eddie Turfboer

Eddie Turfboer

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Is there absolutely no one else remotely interested in this?

Well, I am interested. However I lack the capacities to be helpfull...

g_face2k

g_face2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Thanx Eddie Turfboer, as long as some one finds this interesting I'll keep trying to do this.

eugenemacmahon

eugenemacmahon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Well, I am interested. However I lack the capacities to be helpfull...

I too am really interested, jumpin out of my skin, but about as useful as a 10Lb hammer

identity

identity

Voodoo fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
hey i am back. my exams finished ....ok g_face2k i have an idea i dont know it works or not.....as qemu is opensource(most of things r written in assembly c c++) can any of expert in this forum copy the sse2 emulation code in that and merge with already existing sse3 layer?.....i meen sse3 emulation layer.....

@nd!!

@nd!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Waht about linux bios?, i think that is the best, and SSE->SSE3 emulation idea, is out, we need programers, good programmers and nobody but us are interesed on this

identity

identity

Voodoo fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
i dont know how it is...is it better? how is speed in that.....i went to coreboot site and downloaded it....but i dont know how to use it....can u help me@nd!!

@nd!!

@nd!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
ok, basically LinuxBios (now coreboot), replaces your system bios with linux, so you have to flash your BIOS (if you are going to try, you better try on a comp you are not using), and it takes about 3sec from cold start to get a Xserver, without any harddrive or pre-installed os, and LinuxBios has qemu inside, so, from X, you can start qemu, make a script and start OSX from a hardrive.

I Ignore, if linux bios can detect the harddrive so qemu can start osx from a HD, otherwise, qemu has to be patched for sse3 emulation and ACPI, i think first, we have to build qemu so it can start osx .iso and sse3 stable, .. blah blah.... then flash old pcs using linuxbios and the put "stable qemu" on linux bios, make a script and then OSX could start like native

identity

identity

Voodoo fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
but can i run win lin bsd natively using linuxbios like a normal bios?....anyway will try it inside vmware...who cares if vmware bios gets scroved up...............

@nd!!

@nd!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
srivathsa, I Doubt you can flash vmware bios..

masoudt

masoudt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm extremely interested in this as well, owning an Athlon XP 2400+ that I would love to put OS X on. Unfortunately my talents in the computer programming arena are about as useful as Paris Hilton's talents in the acting/singing/anything else arena.....

identity

identity

Voodoo fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
hey onemore thing ....i think i wont be able to install any os natively?....

eugenemacmahon

eugenemacmahon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

hey onemore thing ....i think i wont be able to install any os natively?....

At this point I know this is a rhetorical statement but I think its worth asking the question. Even (as fantastic as it would be) if you do manage to package together a combination of corelinux and qemu to emulate SSE3/2, would other system incompatibilities be a huge problem due to the age of the hardware? Im drawing my point from the process I'm currently going through with one of my laptops (acer travelmate 240) which has SSE2 processor but is almost impossible to get leopard working on (I have 10.4.1 working).

Dont get me wrong at all, I really want this to work as I have two other systems that I would like to get running even 10.4.1 at least. Just asking a question.

@nd!!

@nd!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Qemu emulates hardware (i think) so maybe drivers for "OSX qemu emulated hardware" can be written and all of us (SSE2/3 -Less) would be using the same qemu for runing osx so will be using the same drivers ... i think, if dont we have to find a way.

No one knows good programmers interesed on this?
Maybe if we offer a payment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy