OS X for SSE (qemu)

Dragon

417 posts in this topic

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
the topic are dead ?

I was reading the topic but I couldn't see any how to...

too bad. I'd like to have Mac OS on my Athlon 2500+ :wacko::P:(

Mac OS X on such a slow system isn't worth it :) Stick to windows xp or 2000 and you'll be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi people, I am new to hackintosh and I have the same problem - the Amd Athlon XP Non-SSE2 processor.

Can anyone tell me if any progress have been made?

P.S. Maybe try my Live DVD with QEMU included?

http://susegallery.com/a/eZJJAK/tigrs-suse

So, after building my SuSE, I have finally got some results.

First, I have moved deadmoo's image to my old PC.

20100915-1ik69jjt1mm23wq18i5rt95s3p.preview.jpgClick for full size - Uploaded with Skitch

After that I have launched QEMU with command:

qemu -cpu coreduo -m 256 -vga vmware tiger-x86-flat.img

20100915-ntf3xcm3b4ikr3sdtt3i2f3fqi.preview.jpgClick for full size - Uploaded with Skitch

After lots of text, it started to boot the UI.

20100915-jd2n2eb43whn5cc8mf8em57ef.preview.jpgClick for full size - Uploaded with Skitch

And gave out errors: CreateSession failed and disk0s1 I/O Error

20100915-g5cd6x2q6g85acs67a7pbp4j4t.preview.jpgClick for full size - Uploaded with Skitch

What am I doing wrong?

My PC Is AMD Athlon XP 1800+ with 512 MB SDRAM DDR.

20100915-x7g6q3m55r53nh3bacwbia42m8.preview.jpgClick for full size - Uploaded with Skitch

doesn't have SSE2

That's the point we are in this topic :)

And while running in QEMU the verbose output says: ...MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 NOW

Just specified the parameter -cpu coreduo

I can't make screenshots, it just pops out an error when I hit printscreen: gnome-screenshot command not found.

It is unreadable because when I hit the camera button the screen has changed from console to the Blue Screen of Mouse Pointer. I will post a clear one when I will have time, too much schoolwork to do :) .

Hope we can get Mac OS X working without SSE.

Best wishes,

Tigr@.

Emulating SSE(2/3/4) is pointless.. Those instructions aren't just 'required', they are actually USED. Emulating them makes things even slower. Expect things like booting Mac OS X in 45 minutes, and logging in in 10, waiting for Finder to start for 20 minutes and then start Safari for 10 minutes. You'd be spending so much time waiting, you'd be better off getting a job at the local restaurant and saving the money to buy a Mac :D

Emulating SSE(2/3/4) is pointless.. Those instructions aren't just 'required', they are actually USED. Emulating them makes things even slower.

I know and expected for it just to boot and show off, not to be used as a main system. Any emulator makes things slower.

Expect things like booting Mac OS X in 45 minutes, and logging in in 10, waiting for Finder to start for 20 minutes and then start Safari for 10 minutes. You'd be spending so much time waiting, you'd be better off getting a job at the local restaurant and saving the money to buy a Mac :thumbsup_anim:

I already have a Mac :)

Well, in that case (because it's the because-I-can-factor) I'll look into it :D I have been emulating and virtualising Linux, BSD, Mac OS X and Windows for a while now, so it must be possible. I'm even thinking about emulating Mac OS 10.6 on a PPC64 machine with QEMU :)

• 1 month later...
Emulating SSE(2/3/4) is pointless.. Those instructions aren't just 'required', they are actually USED. Emulating them makes things even slower. Expect things like booting Mac OS X in 45 minutes, and logging in in 10, waiting for Finder to start for 20 minutes and then start Safari for 10 minutes. You'd be spending so much time waiting, you'd be better off getting a job at the local restaurant and saving the money to buy a Mac :)

But qemu emulates everything: x86, FPU, MMX, SSE and we already have them. if we integrate the emulator into the kernel, we'll get better results on P-III.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, I'd like to support those who are trying this - after all, it's not about getting a hackintosh you will be working on with Photoshop and Final Cut Pro, but it's about the challange to make OSX work at all. It's not more or less pointless than climbing a hill when you also can just rent a helicopter to get there.

And I have a neat Compaq 12"-PIII-laptop lying around that I'll love to see the OSX-desktop on it ;-)