OS X for SSE (qemu)

Dragon

417 posts in this topic

nop, it hasn´t worked yet, but we´ll keep trying...

Found a few interesting posts from a few guys talking about this very topic at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=0#entry177972 . Interestingly, theres a person or two who say they could do it and are willing to participate in a team to complete this project.

Ok, the process they are talking about is different but they are talking about the same end result but without emulation which has to be a better option.

@all

well i have done it with the help of my system1 c on signature....

first installed jas 10.4.8 in vmware selecting intel packages although i have amd system(intel package should be selected compulsarily)....

then using qemu-img i converted it to raw format...ok next it ran successfully in qemu.......

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, well I've had enough. Sold me old sse laptop and bought a core 2 duo 2.3ghz with 2gb ram off dell outlett store delivered for 250 euro. Couldnt take it anymore. Installed Kalyway straight away on an external drive effortlessly. I wish ye all the best.

soon as my exams are over, I'm going to have a go at OS X Server in Qemu :)

has anyone tried Leopard yet?

I'll do that, with a retail install I will mod according to how Qemu want's it :P

• 2 months later...

I got leopard workin in qemu. wasnt that hard but it might have been accidental here is what i did:

1. made everything on my sse3 windows comp ( so it would install faster )

2. installed it

3. transfered qemu manager from program files to tinyxp on mi laptop and ran from there.

works perfectly.

If Anyone needs it here is my guide

1. download Tinyxp rev9 (torrent)

2. install tinyxp Bare without driverpacks on the sse only comp

3. if u want tiger,download qemu manager and continue to step 4, else goto leopard

4. download tiger if u havnt already and install it in qemu manager

5.your finished

:leopard

goto another comp(with sse3) and install leopard on qemu manager, then transfer everything in you qemu manager folder (if u installed it its usually at program files) to ur sse1 comp

You think this method will work for SSE2?

I've been going like crazy trying all sort of Leo DVDs Distros on my P4 computer.. and no go. Not even using VMWare.

I'll try this out as soon as I can... though I can't say I've ever used Qemu Manager. Think you can post a guide on what you did?

Thanks

Goddamn, the last processors to be released with SSE only were Athlon XP and Pentium III!!! Give it a rest guys. Separate the stuff you're discussing into relevant topics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't completely rule out VirtualBox as being capable of running OS X. There's a ton of data about this, we just need a few people to put it together and we'll have Leopard running inside VirtualBox.

Here's the process with VirtualBox to get Tiger going, should anybody be interested:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=2076

This is really compelling, because VirtualBox beats VMWare in terms of performance when running deadmoo. And VirtualBox is free, open source, and available for even more platforms than VMWare!

It seems possible to use VirtualBox with Leopard too:

http://alex.csgraf.de/self/?qemu/

Problem is that I can't get it to work. I've been using the pcwiz vmware vmdk as a handy starting point. Even with safe mode, adjusting the res down, setting all the backwards compatibility flags I can think of (-f, x86pc, etc.) I can't get it to fully boot. It loads the kexts, then VirtualBox either just abruptly closes, or reports a fatal error and gives a logfile that is (to me) both long and meaningless.

I've also tried almost every combination of settings in VirtualBox. Nothing seems to work. I've tried the native and ToH kernels. I will occasionally hack at it, but if I knew the source of the issue, it would go so far in helping guide the process.

Another set of solutions for Darwin under Virtual Box:

http://sites.google.com/a/puredarwin.org/p...pers/virtualbox

It's so close, I can smell it. Anybody want to help? Contribute suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...
It seems possible to use VirtualBox with Leopard too:

http://alex.csgraf.de/self/?qemu/

Problem is that I can't get it to work. I've been using the pcwiz vmware vmdk as a handy starting point. Even with safe mode, adjusting the res down, setting all the backwards compatibility flags I can think of (-f, x86pc, etc.) I can't get it to fully boot. It loads the kexts, then VirtualBox either just abruptly closes, or reports a fatal error and gives a logfile that is (to me) both long and meaningless.

I've also tried almost every combination of settings in VirtualBox. Nothing seems to work. I've tried the native and ToH kernels. I will occasionally hack at it, but if I knew the source of the issue, it would go so far in helping guide the process.

The methode of alex works ! Have pcwiz vmware image running with it.

But it used a patched kvm/qemu and not Virtualbox.

Speed is good (core2duo 2,66,4gb Ram), but only 1280 x 1024 res and only framebuffer

• 9 months later...