OS X for SSE (qemu)

Dragon

417 posts in this topic

hey i am back. my exams finished ....ok g_face2k i have an idea i dont know it works or not.....as qemu is opensource(most of things r written in assembly c c++) can any of expert in this forum copy the sse2 emulation code in that and merge with already existing sse3 layer?.....i meen sse3 emulation layer.....

ok, basically LinuxBios (now coreboot), replaces your system bios with linux, so you have to flash your BIOS (if you are going to try, you better try on a comp you are not using), and it takes about 3sec from cold start to get a Xserver, without any harddrive or pre-installed os, and LinuxBios has qemu inside, so, from X, you can start qemu, make a script and start OSX from a hardrive.

I Ignore, if linux bios can detect the harddrive so qemu can start osx from a HD, otherwise, qemu has to be patched for sse3 emulation and ACPI, i think first, we have to build qemu so it can start osx .iso and sse3 stable, .. blah blah.... then flash old pc´s using linuxbios and the put "stable qemu" on linux bios, make a script and then OSX could start like native

I'm extremely interested in this as well, owning an Athlon XP 2400+ that I would love to put OS X on. Unfortunately my talents in the computer programming arena are about as useful as Paris Hilton's talents in the acting/singing/anything else arena.....

hey onemore thing ....i think i wont be able to install any os natively?....

At this point I know this is a rhetorical statement but I think its worth asking the question. Even (as fantastic as it would be) if you do manage to package together a combination of corelinux and qemu to emulate SSE3/2, would other system incompatibilities be a huge problem due to the age of the hardware? Im drawing my point from the process I'm currently going through with one of my laptops (acer travelmate 240) which has SSE2 processor but is almost impossible to get leopard working on (I have 10.4.1 working).

Dont get me wrong at all, I really want this to work as I have two other systems that I would like to get running even 10.4.1 at least. Just asking a question.

Qemu emulates hardware (i think) so maybe drivers for "OSX qemu emulated hardware" can be written and all of us (SSE2/3 -Less) would be using the same qemu for runing osx so will be using the same drivers ... i think, if don´t we have to find a way.

No one knows good programmers interesed on this?

Maybe if we offer a payment

I took a long break from messing with my method, it started to {censored} me off. Any way I modify the dragon slax iso, basically put it on a diet. It uses a total of 156MB after loading Xorg using fluxbox, this is great cause it uses less memory than dragons iso. The problem is that even on my 1.2Ghz P3 it still runs slowwww! I'm gonna try to make a module using the stuff in this website http://alex.csgraf.de/self/?qemu/ , I hope to get a speed increase using this method.

On the core boot topic, the problem is that it doesn't work with a lot of the P3 mother board chipsets (I have the Intel 815 & 830) so it would limit who will actually benefit from this, especially laptop users. I wonder if it would be easier to find a cpu socket 370 converter (I know there used to be Pentium 1 to Pentium 3 converters) to plug in a pentium 4 and just do OSX natively that way OR via qemu+kqemu (if mother board chipset incompatibilities).

Well scratch that last one, I guess you can go P1 to P3 but P4's FSB is totally different so no P4 to P3 converter.

• 2 weeks later...
I took a long break from messing with my method, it started to {censored} me off. Any way I modify the dragon slax iso, basically put it on a diet. It uses a total of 156MB after loading Xorg using fluxbox, this is great cause it uses less memory than dragons iso. The problem is that even on my 1.2Ghz P3 it still runs slowwww! I'm gonna try to make a module using the stuff in this website http://alex.csgraf.de/self/?qemu/ , I hope to get a speed increase using this method.

On the core boot topic, the problem is that it doesn't work with a lot of the P3 mother board chipsets (I have the Intel 815 & 830) so it would limit who will actually benefit from this, especially laptop users. I wonder if it would be easier to find a cpu socket 370 converter (I know there used to be Pentium 1 to Pentium 3 converters) to plug in a pentium 4 and just do OSX natively that way OR via qemu+kqemu (if mother board chipset incompatibilities).

Well scratch that last one, I guess you can go P1 to P3 but P4's FSB is totally different so no P4 to P3 converter.

all the best.....

• 2 weeks later...

TOH, Kalaway, iATKOS..... Don´t understand, some info please

Ok, Ok I Know i must google it before posting.... so i found iATKOS, (uphuck), is a leopard DVD that let install Aditional Software, drivers etc, so your hackintosh can work well, but the question is ... is able ToH, Kalaway. or iAtkos to install SSE patches for our machines? or we have to run iATKOS under qemu?.. waht´s the poitn with that?

Those names I mentioned Enable you to Install Leopard on a PC with SSE2 (such as an Intel Pentium 4 processor, for example). The idea of using Qemu was to permit users to emulate a SSE3 (Dual Core Processors) environment for SSE2 processors...

So you see, in my opinion, there is no need for Qemu.

*There are also Patches for the mentioned DVD installers for AMD processors*

cruxado u r totally confused.....

qemu emulates sse2 not sse3(sse3 is half done i think)

iatkos kalyway have sse3 emulated kernel(wont run on sse only sys) so it emulates sse3 instructions for sse2 sys.....

so to install these os on an old sys u need sse2 emulator ie qemu.....

I was just testing the Qemu option to install Tiger on a P4... I was never developing anything. Try contacting the other memebers... like Dragon. Either that... or buy a new machine! jejeje... they are pretty cheap now a days.

Best of Luck!

I was just testing the Qemu option to install Tiger on a P4... I was never developing anything. Try contacting the other memebers... like Dragon. Either that... or buy a new machine! jejeje... they are pretty cheap now a days.

Best of Luck!

to me?....

i have 2 system one new and another old....me too testing like u in my old sys.....