OSx86 on Xeon

65 posts in this topic

I am too interested in where it takes place. I don't see a reason as to why the prestonia will not work.

Someone prove me wrong?

It’s just a matter of finding out why and how to get around it.

More research is needed. Is it possible to trick Vmware into reporting a different cpu core?? Some how I don’t think it will be.

Thanks

I am curious as to how various mach kernel versions have cropped up on the net. For example, Maxxuss has made available various kernel versions with certain extensions enabled/disabled. Did he patch them himself, or did he locate older kernel builds?

If someone could point me in a direction, I could try stepping through the kernel. Just need a little help where to get started. i.e.: recommended debuggers and such.

Ultimately, I want to edit the table where CPU ID strings are stored.

Thanks!

-Brian

Very strange,

Many people have reported success with dual Nocona setups. I've personally had success with the following setup:

(2) 2.8GHz P4 Xeon Nocona Core

(4) 1GB DDR2 ECC Reg.

Supermicro X6DA8 motherboard (7525 chipset)

I've had luck with the 4GB Generic and Marklar install images. Let us know which DVD image you had used.

Also, if your install image was not the cause for this problem, then perhaps we should start logging chipsets... and maybe even motherboards that have been tested. Just a suggestion to those following this thread ;)

-Brian

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see that you had stated your attempted image version.

hi,

My first try in install MacOS Fail. :(

The error message (kernell Panic) is like:

Not found Driver for this hardware "ACPI" after Kernel Panic

So I try other flags how -v -x -F -Platform=ACPI or X86PC.

And try disable USB,LPT,COM,AUDIO,ETHERNET.

My MacX86 DVD is a combo X86 and PPC of version 10.4.3 2.9GB Leter i put the torrent name.

Nothing work. :huh:

My computer is a Workstantion Dell precision 470

Dual Xeon 2.8 Ghz L2 1MB

1GB ECC DDR400

SCSI 320

how this information don't tell much I put /proc/* for tell more.

Processor NOCONA B)

processor : 0

vendor_id : GenuineIntel

cpu family : 15

model : 4

model name : Intel® Xeon CPU 2.80GHz

physical id : 0

siblings : 2

runqueue : 0

stepping : 1

cpu MHz : 2793.263

cache size : 1024 KB

fpu : yes

fpu_exception : yes

cpuid level : 3

wp : yes

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm ferr syscall nx lm sse3 monit or ds-cpl cnxt-id

bogomips : 5570.56

clflush size : 64

address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

power management:

PCI devices found:

Host bridge: PCI device 8086:359e (Intel Corp.) (rev 9).

Class ff00: PCI device 8086:3591 (Intel Corp.) (rev 9).

PCI bridge: PCI device 8086:3595 (Intel Corp.) (rev 9).

PCI bridge: PCI device 8086:3596 (Intel Corp.) (rev 9).

PCI bridge: PCI device 8086:3597 (Intel Corp.) (rev 9).

USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB USB (rev 2).

USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EBUntitled 1 USB (rev 2).

USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB USB2 (rev 2).

PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801BA/CA/DB/EB PCI Bridge (rev 194).

ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801EB LPC Interface Controller (rev 2).

OK HLCPart: IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controller (rev 2).

SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801EB SMBus Controller (rev 2).

OK HLCPart: Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 2). (ICH5/ICH5R)

PCI bridge: PCI device 8086:0329 (Intel Corp.) (rev 0).

PCI bridge: PCI device 8086:032a (Intel Corp.) (rev 0).

RAID bus controller: Adaptec ASC-39320(B) U320 w/HostRAID (rev 16).

Ethernet controller: PCI device 8086:1026 (Intel Corp.) (rev 4).

VGA compatible controller: (nVidia Corporation) (rev 162). (NVS280) This is a Quadro Vesa 3.0

Is my Install DVD the problem?

Help.

tks. ;)

EDIT: Removed content violating DMCA

With this image I have problem with ACPI.

EDIT: Removed content violating DMCA

With this new image I have a NEW Kernel Panic. One with the name type "Disable Memory Protection" exists in the options of the BIOS. If leave ON Reboot if NO Kernel Panic.

I prefer an installation native of that to use the VMware. The old HDD already possesss a system complicated Red Hat configured all. Nor it passes for my mind to repart the disk. It is more easy to use a disk IDE and change boot device in Bios.

Edited by Metrogirl

Ok, I've been playing around a little with Darwin... and so far, it likes my Prestonia core Xeons. I've also tried Rhapsody DR2 and OpenStep 4.2. And all of these mach-based systems run fine.

So... why the heck isn't OSX working with Prestonia?? And, how is Maxxuss patching these kernels? Is he somehow rebuilding them from the Darwin distro?

If that is the case, I've attached some glimmers of hope...

-Brian

post-15951-1133166441_thumb.gif

post-15951-1133166646_thumb.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, another dual Xeon 'prestonia' victim here, dual 3.2's 1GB ECC RAM - no joy from a couple of images, latterly the marklar image or whatever its called! get the cpu subtype error, just as a bit of info also used the marklar image on an old p2 333 - same error as my xeons, the only dell box i have it working on is my latitude x300 laptop (updated to the 10.4.3 update) which is sweet as its micro portable and runs like a gem, sound, wifi, bluetooth etc (cant get my graphics done properly - running without QE - bog standard!)

so am eagerly reading these xeon based threads, as i must be honest, due to the stability and success of tiger on the laptop i would like to run this as my sole OS as my xp install is old and flakey now, and i am used to using tiger on my old imac g3 - look forward to there being some development or patch to get us prestonias on the go ;-)

Dennis

Yep, another dual Xeon 'prestonia' victim here, dual 3.2's 1GB ECC RAM - no joy from a couple of images, latterly the marklar image or whatever its called! get the cpu subtype error, just as a bit of info also used the marklar image on an old p2 333 - same error as my xeons, the only dell box i have it working on is my latitude x300 laptop (updated to the 10.4.3 update) which is sweet as its micro portable and runs like a gem, sound, wifi, bluetooth etc (cant get my graphics done properly - running without QE - bog standard!)

so am eagerly reading these xeon based threads, as i must be honest, due to the stability and success of tiger on the laptop i would like to run this as my sole OS as my xp install is old and flakey now, and i am used to using tiger on my old imac g3 - look forward to there being some development or patch to get us prestonias on the go ;-)

Dennis

What's the wireless card in you x300 laptop? Dell 1450 or 1350? Thanks.

Hiya tonyl,

the card is the 1350 mini pc card, i think this also shares itself with the bluetooth module. HTH.

Dennis

Hi Denis, You said your 1350 card works under 10.4.3, is it native install or update install from 10.4.1? Since my 1350 doesn't work under 10.4.3. Thanks.

Edited by tonyl

Hi Denis, You said your 1350 card works under 10.4.3, is it native install or update install from 10.4.1? Since my 1350 doesn't work under 10.4.3. Thanks.

Hi,

to be honest, i d/loaded the marklar image and got that installed on the latitude, and didnt have sound or wireless, after a while i read up on the different approaches to the fixes, and went through them, firstly wi-fi, i forget the resource or thread i ended up using now, my bad, i normally save them all in an .mht file!!! and got edited some plist files and followed the instructions, took a couple of goes to get it cracked though, then all of a sudden, bang, it came on. then i did the same for the audio. then retrospected the disk over to my ipod, then installed the 10.4.3 update and everything remained functional. i am really struggling to remember the route i went down now, i am vaguely remembering it was an edited kext file job, from an airport file hack, or something similar. sorry i couldnt post the process! have you got the x300? if so, have you got any graphics acceleration and firewire working?

cheers

dennis

Ok, I've been playing around a little with Darwin... and so far, it likes my Prestonia core Xeons. I've also tried Rhapsody DR2 and OpenStep 4.2. And all of these mach-based systems run fine.

So... why the heck isn't OSX working with Prestonia?? And, how is Maxxuss patching these kernels? Is he somehow rebuilding them from the Darwin distro?

If that is the case, I've attached some glimmers of hope...

-Brian

I've been messing around with the same thing as you! I also can confirm the same results and the same errors your getting.

To test my "osx" image i used a recompiled version of QEMU so I know my osx image is all good!

I am new to the whole Darwin thing right now so i am trying to work out what’s the main difference in kernels as Darwin seems quite ok to use prestonias!

if he is rebuilding from a Darwin kernel why don’t it work? He is leaving something out or is there something were all missing?

More reading on my part is needed to understand why unless maxxuss can shed some light on us?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally, success on Prestonia-based box after disappointing no-gos with patched 10.4.3 & 10.4.5

10.4.6 JaS Install DVD installed perfectly on Dual Prestonia 2.8GHz 533FSB box with Asus PC-DL MoBo

- sys info on processor reads Xeon 3.07 GHz, 4 processors (have HT enabled)

- networking on integrated 1000BT auto-sensed and working on install

- apple burning supported on Pioneer DVR-106 out of box

Have an ATI FireGL X1-128 dual-head card, but only one monitor is currently enabled in what appears to be 1024x768 at a low refresh rate, no CI or QE - if anyone has a suggestion how to get the twin monitor support with multiple resolutions/refresh rates & CI+QE, would greatly appreciate help

thx JaS and others who made this possible

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I want to post a success story. I loaded 10.4.6 on a supermicro board with 2 3.2GHz Dempsey's (8 gigs of RAM). Boy does she FLY!!

Now, I have no support for my network card, which according to supermicro is an intel card. Any ideas?

Ben

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have installed Jas 10.4.7 on my dual Xeon 2.8 and Supermicro X6DA8-G2 mobo but system preferences shows only 1 CPU and 4GHz clock speed. Can somebody help? I think it should shows something like "Dual Xeon 2.8".

P.S

Xbench results with Hypertreading shows same value like without (105.67)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...