Elgato eyeTV 250 vs Hybrid

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

Picking up an eyeTV oday, just wondering which you all think I should get/you would get.

My mind is pretty much made up.

I'm gonna get the Hybrid, because it does HD, and the only other differences are it has software compression instead of hardware, doesn't come with a remote, and can't record from VHS.

Otherwise, it has a bunch of features that the 250 doesn't have, like ATSC for wireless HD and it's bus powered.

Now, I took a look at the (three) cons, and I've determined I'd have no use for the extra remote because I want to use my Apple Remote (very badly!), I could still record the VHS and Videocamera stuff because I have a bunch of converters here to manipulate the incoming signal, and the software encoding first off is actually just saving whatever the incoming signal is (so really there's very little conversion hapenning, if any), and if it's an unwanted format, I can simply convert it (quickly) on my core duo mini to whatever I want.

So what do you think?

BTW the 250 costs $50 more, but the money isn't an issue in this decision.

Any opinions? I noticed on their site the 250 lists analog terrestrial as a feature (only with a little logo though, nothing in the spec sheet) so I'm guessing that's the signal from VCRs, which like I said I will convert to another signal before recording.

-Urby

[edit] found this in their FAQ sction:

"EyeTV EZ, EyeTV Hybrid and EyeTV Wonder can be used, but the quality of the video may not be that high (depending on the speed of your Mac).

EyeTV Hybrid can be used, but without using the VHS Assistant. Record manually, as described above."

So i'm not worried about the VHS thing!