New Motherboard and Wireless Card

2 posts in this topic

Here's my situation: Pentium 4 D 930 @ 3.2 ghz on an Nforce4 board, with aquagate R120 liquid cooling (not the greatest, but def not bad), SATA harddrive.

I want to replace the mobo so that I can run OSx86 and also overclock. I want to know which mobo is the most compatible with OSx86 in its current state.

(also would compatibly significantly change when 10.5 is released?)

in addition I would like to know which wireless N cards are compatible with both Windows and OSx86, I will be buying the new airport extreme soon.

Price is a factor, but I would not cut out functionality for a couple of bucks.

ALSO

I plan on upgrading the CPU to an E6350 (the E6300 that is getting a price cut and 4mb cache) in the summer when it's released.

Thanks, -Mr530

I want to replace the mobo so that I can run OSx86 and also overclock. I want to know which mobo is the most compatible with OSx86 in its current state.

Any 975 chipset motherboard would be your best bet. 945 is also compatible, but not good at overclocking. 965 is good at overclocking, but not very compatible. 975 is your best bet, then.

(also would compatibly significantly change when 10.5 is released?)

Unfortunately, nobody knows whether OSX86 will even work on 10.5. It might be hacked though. Getting a real mac is the only garunteed way to get the Leopard.

Sorry, can't help you with the wireless cards, look around on the forums, and the OSX86 Wiki.