Core 2 Duo with both cores

Shimms

59 posts in this topic

So a lot of people seem to report that they can use both cores on a Core 2 Duo, 8.8.1 kernel. There are also some people who report that without disabling one of the cores, their system either panics, or is jumpy.

I'm one of the few who can't run with both cores, and its pissing me off.

I'm starting to suspect its not a problem with the 8.8.1 kernel, but rather a problem with a specific mix of hardware (or BIOS settings) that causes this issue.

I'd like to start gathering some specs from people who both have C2D working and those who don't - perhaps we can find a common element that causes this failure.

On a related note, does anyone with my specs have both cores working? If so that would lend weight to a BIOS setting.

My Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13 GHz)

Asus P5LD2-VM (945 Chipset)

GMA-950 Onboard GFX

1GB Kington PC2-5300 RAM (single stick)

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109

Western Digital 160Gb SATA HDD

8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Wed Jan 10 01:14:49 CET 2007; root:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

Edited by Shimms

I'd like to start gathering some specs from people who both have C2D working

running perfect, both cores

c2d E6400

ga-965p-dq6

1gb kingston ram

asus x1600 (qe ci)

jas 10.4.8 sse2, see3 semthex 8.8.1 kernel

what sort of settings do you have enable for the CPU? stuff like speedstep should be disabled, i think the C1 whatever instruction might have to be enabled.

hopefully someone with your board and an e6x00 can report their bios CPU settings for you.

After playing around a little more I seem to have solved this issue.

Adding idlehalt=0 to the kernel flags at boot seems to have fixed it. I've been up and running for 1:53 without any freezes or panics. Its also much much faster :wink2:

My system locks up regularly

I have a:

Core 2 Duo E6600 ( @ 2x3.0 GHz )

Asus E5W DH Deluxe ( 975X Chipset )

2 GB PC6400 RAM ( Dual Channel )

ATI Radeon X1900XT 256 MB

Westen Digital Raptor 150 GB

How do I do to use idlehalt=0 ?

Where do I write it?

If that solves it I would be so so happy! :rolleyes:

Edited by Reaktor

as far as I know, the problem is mostly solved with some tricks for DESKTOP processors. MOBILE PROCESSORS do not work with both cores enabled - I haven't seen a proof at least.

I begged, I cried, I offered money and tried to start a bounty, but this is apparently very low on the wizzard's priorities lists, unfortunately...

as far as I know, the problem is mostly solved with some tricks for DESKTOP processors. MOBILE PROCESSORS do not work with both cores enabled - I haven't seen a proof at least.

I begged, I cried, I offered money and tried to start a bounty, but this is apparently very low on the wizzard's priorities lists, unfortunately...

Do you know what tricks to use for the Desktop processors? (As I have a Desktop Processor)

Also - How do I disable one of my two core's? (Better to run stable with one core than crash all the time with two cores)

If I can get the system stable with two core's, that would be awesome!

sorry, no idea about the tricks, I was just referring to the ones posted above in this thread, that type of thing.

for running only one core, you need to type "cpus=1" or similar at darwin boot - search around...

now, oh mighty haxors, please help us run dual core on our machines!!!!

My system locks up regularly

I have a:

Core 2 Duo E6600 ( @ 2x3.0 GHz )

Asus E5W DH Deluxe ( 975X Chipset )

2 GB PC6400 RAM ( Dual Channel )

ATI Radeon X1900XT 256 MB

Westen Digital Raptor 150 GB

How do I do to use idlehalt=0 ?

Where do I write it?

If that solves it I would be so so happy! :unsure:

When your computer turns on, after the BIOS screen, but before the grey Apple loading screen, press F8 a few times. This will bring up the Darwin boot prompt allowing you to specify boot options.

Type idlehalt=0 or cpus=1 (give each a try) to see if that solves your issue.

If it does solve it, rather than having to type it in each time, you'll want to edit com.apple.Boot.plist. Search around for info on how to do that.

Do you know what tricks to use for the Desktop processors? (As I have a Desktop Processor)

Also - How do I disable one of my two core's? (Better to run stable with one core than crash all the time with two cores)

If I can get the system stable with two core's, that would be awesome!

Adding idlehalt=0 to the kernel flags at boot seems to have fixed it. I've been up and running for 1:53 without any freezes or panics. Its also much much faster :unsure:

When your computer turns on, after the BIOS screen, but before the grey Apple loading screen, press F8 a few times. This will bring up the Darwin boot prompt allowing you to specify boot options.

Type idlehalt=0 or cpus=1 (give each a try) to see if that solves your issue.

If it does solve it, rather than having to type it in each time, you'll want to edit com.apple.Boot.plist. Search around for info on how to do that.

I've tried both, my com.apple.Boot.plist looks like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>platform=X86PC cpus=1 idlehalt=0 fn=3 -v</string>

.. Still the same problem. Could it be that the graphics card gets to hot? In Windows, The graphics fan go faster as the card gets hotter, I don't know if the card does this in Mac OS X

Gonna try to clock down my machine to standard clocks now. Thanks for the help so far!

edit: It feels like it is the graphics card, when I do Exposé for example, I can almost be sure that the system will freeze

237.png

Edited by Reaktor

(guiyoforward @ Jan 14 2007, 08:11 PM) post_snapback.gif

ive got both cores working with semthex beta 8 and a t7200 on a commell lv-677 mobo. using no special boot keys.

Edited by DiaboliK

i have an x1900xtx and i believe the freezing is due to the graphics driver because i have the same problem the only way to avoid the freezing while using expose or genie effects is to install the dvd without any drivers which includes not instaslling titan or the neopehsu x1xxx supprot so do not install any drivers. it will use the default vesa driver

i got both cores working when i upgraded my cpu from a Pentium D 805 ( 2.66 gig - fsb 133 ) to a Pentium D 820 ( 2.8 gig fsb - 200 ) without having to change my kernel ( which was b8 - Nov.27.06 ) . it's really hard to pin down what caused both cores to work for me bec. i moved my install from an 80gb ide hd to a 200 gig sata drive at the same time. i used to think the problem was kernel related but now i think it might be hardware related, maybe something to do with the cpu's native fsb? or could it have been the move from ide hd to a sata drive? imho, i am leaning more towards the cpu than the hd change.

Shouldn't it be either cpus=1 or idlehalt=0 not both?

Probably. Anyhow, I've tried both but the system still keeps on freezing

i have an x1900xtx and i believe the freezing is due to the graphics driver because i have the same problem the only way to avoid the freezing while using expose or genie effects is to install the dvd without any drivers which includes not instaslling titan or the neopehsu x1xxx supprot so do not install any drivers. it will use the default vesa driver

If I don't install the graphics drivers, is there anyway I can change the screen resolution to my displays native 1680x1050? I can only choose 1024x768 in the display menu

i have toshiba p100-324 with c2d t7400 and both cores are running...

installed (after some dificulties) 1.4.8 JaS edition for intel sse3 only.

about BIOS i can't help much - it has VERY few options, almost no advanced settings available...

one thing: i had to disable (in BIOS) lan card and support for PS2 mouse & keyboard - but laptop keyboard works,

Edited by yaduhin

hmm that's interesting yaduhin...I don't know what the deal is, I messed around a bunch with the bios settings doing all sorts of stuff and nothing worked, the only time I MAYBE saw a little improvement on the stuttering was when I disabled the LAN and touchpad, but I could be wrong!

I've tried the jas 10.4.6, and intel combo update 10.4.8 through apple and nothing better, I also am running the latest semthex kernel.

have to revert to cpus=1 :)

I have the same board as you Asus P5LD2-VM with a E6600 and Semthex kernel Jan 10 and have both cores running.

So a lot of people seem to report that they can use both cores on a Core 2 Duo, 8.8.1 kernel. There are also some people who report that without disabling one of the cores, their system either panics, or is jumpy.

I'm one of the few who can't run with both cores, and its pissing me off.

I'm starting to suspect its not a problem with the 8.8.1 kernel, but rather a problem with a specific mix of hardware (or BIOS settings) that causes this issue.

I'd like to start gathering some specs from people who both have C2D working and those who don't - perhaps we can find a common element that causes this failure.

On a related note, does anyone with my specs have both cores working? If so that would lend weight to a BIOS setting.

My Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13 GHz)

Asus P5LD2-VM (945 Chipset)

GMA-950 Onboard GFX

1GB Kington PC2-5300 RAM (single stick)

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109

Western Digital 160Gb SATA HDD

8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Wed Jan 10 01:14:49 CET 2007; root:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

You can strip the issue down to mainly Dell and Acer and a very few others, proberly cause of broken bios/acpi and possible hardware side RTC.

I really took my time to fix this issue for those computers but I could not come to any idea which could possible fix this for the ppl, maybe trying to flash BIOS might help or not. I would cut Dell of the list of wishlist for hackBooks.