Announcement of MacFUSE

Synaesthesia

41 posts in this topic

If you just want to get it work, you don't need to compile it. there are 3 pre-compiled macfuse and ntfs-3g binaries floating around that are exactly the same. just download and install, repair permissions, reboot with -f switch at the loader prompt.

Does anyone have a file server they can donate bandwidth for 9mb MacFuse pkg and 500kb ntfs-3g pkg. if not, then I won't do a write up and you can just use the how-to already posted at one of the links on this thread.

Pay attention! the current package as of this post is:

* MacFUSE-0.1.0b006-1.dmg

* ntfs-3g-0.20070102-BETA.dmg

there is a MacFUSE-0.1.0b004 floating around. DON'T install MacFUSE-0.1.0b004. MacFUSE-0.1.0b006-1 is currently the better package.

Addendum:

Those just getting on the boat, you will need to manually mount your partition using fuse/ntfs-3g commands. Don't expect your partition to automount and readily read/writable after rebooting. It's a common misconception to many. MacFuse is not yet designed to automount ntfs filesystems.

Edited by domino

yeah, for some reason i still am not getting it right....

big-kahunas-computer:~ bigkahuna$ sudo ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"Windows XP" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Windows XP"

fuse: failed to exec mount program: No such file or directory

big-kahunas-computer:~ bigkahuna$

Big Kahuna in terminal PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH; export PATH

I've got it work, but Finder doesn't see mounted partitions. Perhaps because diskarb daemon didn't mount it at the boot time.

That's what I was missing.. the path map.

I'm working on a tutorial now that I'm up and running.. not to steal domino's thunder at all.. just going to post my results.

Full NTFS support in Mac OS X:

**Files Necessary:

MacFUSE DMG Installer

NTFS-3g DMG Installer

**Links may change, not MY storage.. relaying from applenova post linked elsewhere in this thread**

Note: Before continuing this process, if you've attemped to install the NTFS package before:

(In Terminal):

sudo rm -rf /Library/Receipts/NTFS-3g.pkg

-Reason: By removing this receipt, the installer isn't confused by what's being installed.

Then, continue on.

Install the two dmg files (macfuse and NTFS-3g)

After installing open terminal:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin

export PATH

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/mount_fusefs /usr/bin/mount_fusefs

sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g /usr/bin/ntfs-3g

That just ensured that all the files are where they need to be. If you get "file exists"... that's fine!!!

Now that the prep work is done.. let's mount this drive already!!!

In Terminal:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/"Your Windows Drive"

<Replace "Your Windows Drive with w/e your drive is IN QUOTES.. "Windows XP" "Windows HD" >

Continuing on:

In Terminal (all in one command):

sudo ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"Your Windows Drive" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Your Windows Drive"

***NOTE*** in the /dev/disk0s1 -- replace this with the location of your Windows Drive, to find it, look in Disk Utility in Applications -> Utilities... and then the properties for your drive. Also, the "Your Windows Drive" is the same we discussed earlier IN QUOTES.

I'm also posting this in the other topic.. so it's present in two places.. let's not clutter this as suggested earlier.. but use the other thread for support. :tomato:

Edit 1 - removed local for fuse_fs location.

thunder? what thunder? that's just one less thing i need to do while i'm trying to hack up the automount :P

- the b006 package should have created the sym link by default.

- storing packages on your own file space doesn't help you when the packages gets updated. you should link to the dev page for both packages.

- you should not add spaces to the drive you are trying to mount. not a rule of thumb, but it just makes it more simple for others less technical

- you should comment on the reason why you are removing prior ntfs-3g receipt.

- you shouldn't have to export the path since you arent compiling from scratch. at least i never had too. but then again, i did have xcode install at one point which might have done it for me.

- should be moved over to the how-to forum

thanks for the tut.

well, apparently it's flawed.

I just got --

Failed to open inode $MFTMirr: Input/output error

Failed to load $MFTMirr: Input/output error

Failed to startup volume: Input/output error

Failed to mount '/dev/disk0s1': Input/output error

NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!

The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was

made to NTFS by this software.

This after hard-locking twice... :P

and chkdsk doesn't have /f does it?? i thought it was only /p and /r

There's an interface violation alert when installing. You will need to restart this, and there is no warning when you go through the installation process until the very end of it.

grumble grumble at them for not putting the warning in there, but YAY for something that will solve all our woes.

chkdsk /f = fixes the errors on the disk.

That's a common error even on Linux with ntfs-3g drivers. The solution is either boot into windows and run scandisk fix-repair or boot up with a dos thumbdrive or cd. Someone compiled another ntfs-3g package with a few fixes located here.

http://forums.applenova.com/showpost.php?p...mp;postcount=47