Announcement of MacFUSE

Synaesthesia

41 posts in this topic

Just found this news bit on Infinite Loop over at ars technica (link)

Amit Singh of Mac OS X Internals and current employee of Google, has announced the release of MacFUSE, a package that allows users to write and take advantage of arbitrary filesystem modules. I'll give you some background information, but rest assured that this is cool stuff.
With the porting of FUSE to OS X as MacFUSE, a whole host of options become available to Mac users. Want to read/write NTFS volumes? Done. Want read/write to an FTP server? Done. How about a FlickrFS, GmailFS, or PicasaFS? For the really nerdy, what do you think of ZFS or SshFS?

So, what do you guys think?

Edited by Synaesthesia

I was just going to post this too.

macfuse

A FUSE-Compliant File System Implementation Mechanism for Mac OS X

MacFUSE implements a mechanism that makes it possible to implement a fully functional file system in a user-space program on Mac OS X. It aims to be API-compliant with the FUSE (Filesystem in USErspace) mechanism that originated on Linux. Therefore, many existing FUSE file systems become readily usable on Mac OS X. The core of MacFUSE is in a dynamically loadable kernel extension.

How FUSE-compliant is MacFUSE? Well, enough so that many popular FUSE file systems can be easily compiled and work on Mac OS X--often out of the box. Examples of file systems that work have been tested (to varying degrees) include sshfs, ntfs-3g (read/write NTFS), ftpfs (read/write FTP), wdfs (WebDAV), cryptofs, encfs, bindfs, unionfs, beaglefs (yes, including the entire Beagle paraphernalia), and so on.

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

MacFUSE is apparently something that Amit Singh has been working on at Google, here are the slides from his talk at MacWorld: http://www.osxbook.com/book/bonus/chapter1...f2007_singh.pdf

I am wonder if this has something to do with ZFS showing up in Leopard betas?

This apparently means that now OS X can write to NTFS partitions, so it will be easier to work with Windows now.

Hey, bofors, thanks, I was just about to post the google blog link now as well. The slides are awesome!

Has it got anything to do with ZFS in leopard? I didn't think so, I mean it's a port of FUSE, to OS X, and it's not only ZFS, but many other filesystems as well...but, here's a quote from tehnick, (link)

If you read around a little bit more, you'd know that the guy that developed NTFS-3g (stable ntfs driver for linux with full write support) was hired by Apple. He will obviously be porting it for OS X to be seen in a future version. Some people have said 10.6 for sure if not 10.5, I think getting the FUSE thing down is what would take so long but who knows.

mmm...

Edited by Synaesthesia

It's available, but I didn't download it. I don't think it's a binary though, they distribute the code and you must compile it yourself. They do give instructions and everything you need.

Has anyone installed this and tried it out? I will, for one. Reporting back later.

This fuse stuff allows mac users to read and write NTFS drives. NTFS is the Microsoft file system for NT, 2000, XP, etc and when some dual boot with boot camp or whatnot, writing to NTFS isn't supported and can cause file corrupted. Linux users also have to deal with this. For those that need to write to NTFS disks (or others supported but fuse) this give OSX more flexibility.

Ahh ok I thought it was like a partition map thing where the big partition container was FUSE and other partitions existed inside of it, and a property of the container partition was to allow writing to partitions within it based on checksum values and bit length, etc.

Relieved to know that it runs on a much lower level!

I guess now I'll go ahead and install Vista in bootcamp since I can write to the partition...

or not.

b006 was a good compile. both fuse and ntfs-3g loaded fine. you will get a permission denied error when you try to mount. sudo on all commands will work. as log as you are logged in as admin, you will get r/w support. next step is ext usb drive and i hope it's less painful than ntfs-3g on linux. afterwards try to automount all ntfs drives (caution). before that, gonna try to copy over 3gig data from HFS to NTFS. :D

Edited by domino

how'd you get around the permission denied ?? i got ntfs3g loaded thanks to the binaries posted.

or could it be the fault of my nforce 4 getting in the way?

Mounting with FUSE/NTFS-3G needs to be done at a root level. That's why mounting while the OS boots would be the next logical step for drives that you want to make full r/w 24/7, though not advisable at this stage. I'm not quite sure if there is a fstab in Darwin :).

You need to enable sudo if you haven't already. Then use sudo on all commands for creating dirs, mounting and dismounting partitions/drives. You'll need 3 more confirmations that don't work with NF4 boards, and you'll find out :D. I'm on an Intel board. Yo can possible post it over at the dev site, but i don't think they will support non-compliant products.

I use the compiled binaries , and follwed this guide -->[url="http://forums.applenova.com/showpost.php?p=432791&postcount=11"url] but whe i run the command CFLAGS="-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D__FreeBSD__=10" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local , I got command not found..Why? I 've used always sudo and root privilgies,so..

Edited by favalessa

Do you have xcode installed? If you dont want to download the latest 1gig installer from Apple repo, install the one from 10.4.8 iso.

There is another thread down the line where we can ask/solve problems. We don't want to dilute this news article.