macfuse, finaly somebody done it!

OoOoOoO

67 posts in this topic

Hi,

It's working great on one of my drives, but not the other. When I try write, I get this error:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "my file" could not be read or written. (Error code -36).

Any help is much appreciated,

Peekay

mickles's method is working. However, I think another method is to disable osx to automount NTFS volume as readonly before mount it using fuse.

In Terminal,

cd /etc

sudo nano fstab

add,

LABEL=NTFSxxx /private/mnt/NTFSxxx ntfs ro,noauto (replace NTFSxxx with real volume name)

^x

then,

cd /System/Library/StartupItems/Disks/

sudo nano Disks

add after "/sbin/autodiskmount -va"

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin

export PATH

mkdir /Volumes/Storage

ntfs-3g /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/"Storage" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Storage"

^x

reboot

cheesecake I followd your instructions and it went well until I rebooted on the second time.

Now I sometimes get it to mount, and sometimes it won't show up at all. Its becoming like a roulette wheel. any suggestions

thanx

Okay, I tried the guide and it worked for me. Thanks. Only problem now is that whenever I boot up I get a flashing globe/world icon for 30-45 seconds and then I get the apple icon and then my computer loads. Then when I shut down when it gets to the blue screen right before it shuts down I get the black loading circle for 30-45 seconds and then finally turns off. Does anyone know whats causing the problem and can help me? I'm confused as what I'm suppose to do to fix this. If someone can help me It would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Built Like A Rock

The guys AppleNova did it again. 2 internal and 1 ext usb drive automounts on reboot. Pay attention to CheeseCake's comment about localization. The only minor mod the user has to do is change the orig. icon. No problem with upgrading from prior version anymore.

The latest versions as of this post are:

* MacFUSE 0.1.0_beta6-r3

* NTFS-3G 20070116-r4.

http://forums.applenova.com/showpost.php?p...p;postcount=114

Hi,

It's working great on one of my drives, but not the other. When I try write, I get this error:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "my file" could not be read or written. (Error code -36).

Any help is much appreciated,

Peekay

Nevermind, it's working now -- type-o on my part!

Another question, though:

Is it a bad idea to write to my NTFS partition (or a FAT32 partition, for that matter) using a program other than Finder ie. Bittorrent etc?

Thanks,

Peekay

with the command:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

you can display all (hidden) files on a HFS+ parttion and see that a HFS+ partition has a file named .VolumeIcon.icns on it

I was wondering, now that NTFS has write support, I tried to write the file .VolumeIcon.icns wich every mac drive has to the NTFS partitions, in order to display a drive icon of my liking for the NTFS partitions, but somehow, these drive icons are not being displayed. does a drive icon also need something else besides .VolumeIcon.icns???

Edited by redcell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
To fix this error you can mount the ntfs-3g dmg and drop the ntfs-3g install pkg into your desktop.Next click on the pkg and pick show contents and go into the contents folder.

Open the file info.plist with textedit & look for this code

<key>IFRequirementDicts</key>
  <array>
	  <dict>
		  <key>Level</key>
		  <string>requires</string>
		  <key>MessageKey</key>
		  <string>macfuse_required</string>
		  <key>SpecArgument</key>
		  <string>/Library/Receipts/MacFUSE.pkg</string>
		  <key>SpecType</key>
		  <string>file</string>
		  <key>TestObject</key>
		  <true/>
		  <key>TestOperator</key>
		  <string>eq</string>
		  <key>TitleKey</key>
		  <string>macfuse_package</string>
	  </dict>
  </array>

Remove this code from the info.plist and close textedit,saving the newly edited info.plist. Now just click on the package and install.

I tried this, but when I finally got to the point where I could install it I got the message "you cannot continue. there is nothing to install"

What's going on?

• 2 weeks later...

I am not the one to rewrite this mess but someone who k

knows his/her way around packaging an installer needs to clean up this mess and give us all one stand-alone installer that makes NTFS work. No Terminal, no compiling, no step by step by step by step by......

I've followed and successfully installed both macFuse and the ntfs 3g packages, but when I tried to move data onto the hard drive it copy's the files over to 100% and then pops up a dialog box saying that I do not have sufficient privileges to write to it?

Is there a way to get around this? Much help is greatly appreciated and you guys are amazing!

• 2 months later...
To fix this error you can mount the ntfs-3g dmg and drop the ntfs-3g install pkg into your desktop.Next click on the pkg and pick show contents and go into the contents folder.Open the file info.plist with textedit & look for this code
<key>IFRequirementDicts</key>	<array>		<dict>			<key>Level</key>			<string>requires</string>			<key>MessageKey</key>			<string>macfuse_required</string>			<key>SpecArgument</key>			<string>/Library/Receipts/MacFUSE.pkg</string>			<key>SpecType</key>			<string>file</string>			<key>TestObject</key>			<true/>			<key>TestOperator</key>			<string>eq</string>			<key>TitleKey</key>			<string>macfuse_package</string>		</dict>	</array>

Remove this code from the info.plist and close textedit,saving the newly edited info.plist. Now just click on the package and install.

brilliant JaS! u are indeed a legend!

I am not the one to rewrite this mess but someone who k

knows his/her way around packaging an installer needs to clean up this mess and give us all one stand-alone installer that makes NTFS work. No Terminal, no compiling, no step by step by step by step by......

hey insanely666, nobody's forcing u to follow the provided instructions. if u don't want to get your hands a little dirty and provide support to all those exerting efforts, then just sit your fat ass in your stupid couch, shut your mouth, and eat lots of burgers & fries while waiting for your "stand-alone installer"!