Install OS X Leopard on a laptop PC, possible?

Xer

66 posts in this topic

Hey =]

I'm not quite sure it's the right forum, but I'll ask anyway,

If I'll purchase a totally leagl copy of Mac OS X in a store, will it be possible to install it on my laptop PC?

It's a Gateway MX6958

Intel Core Duo

1GB RAM

120GB Hard drive

And if it is, should I have any problems with drivers for the internal hardware like the touchpad, sound card, video card wireless and ethernet card, etc?

Thank you very much! :wacko:

Guest bikedude880

To answer your last questions first, yes, there is a high possibility that problems will arise for your hardware. Why? It's not supported by Apple. Now, to answer your first question. You cannot just buy a copy of Mac OS X and install it on a PC. There have been several threads where people have looked for a "legal" method for this project. (The copy you purchase would have to be patched in order to even boot)

Guest bikedude880
bikedude has it running on his homebrew, but he didnt leak it because apple could patch the final so we couldnt do it. (i think)

Actually, making a DVD that installs and doesn't crash in the same spot can also be a problem...

i thought it was someone from russia who got it on their compy

Nope. As far as I know, I'm one of a (very) small group of people who have successfully gotten a pure system installed.

• 1 month later...

:thumbsup_anim: IN HAVE AMD 3000 + I HAVE TESTED THIS METHOD...I WANT RUN LEOPARD ON MY PC NOT IN MAC.

INSTALL TIGER :whistle: MADE TWO PARTITION A AND B.

COPY LEOPARD DMG ON DESKTOP IN TIGER

INSTALL CARBON COPY CLONER. CLONE DVD INSTALL INTO PARTITION B.

INSERT USB HD NOT FIREWIRE :rolleyes: BUT NORMAL USB 2.0.

RUN IN PARTITION 2 WHERE LEOPARD CLONE GO TO UTILITIES RUN DISK UTILITY AND CHOOSEUSB DRIVE GUID PARTITION AND CLOSE...REOPEN PARTITION 2 LEOPARD CLONE INSTALL SEARCH OSINSTALL AND CLICK THIS...UR EXTERAL DISK NOW IS READY TO BOOT AND INSTALL LEOPARDI M A SUPER WINDOWS USER. I USE MAC FOR 5 DAY AND I RESOLVE THE CASE OF INSTALL LEOPARD IN EXTERNAL DISK.

I HAVE ONLY ONE BUG WHEN LEOPARD SHOW ME MAC OSX CONSOLLE USER AND PASSWORD AND I STOP IN BSD CONSOLLE.

I THINK LEOPARD STOP FOR HARDWARE IN MY PC. ANY IDEAS?FOR THIS PROBLEM?

CIAO CIAO FROM ITALY

Guest bikedude880
:thumbsup_anim: IN HAVE AMD 3000 + I HAVE TESTED THIS METHOD...I WANT RUN LEOPARD ON MY PC NOT IN MAC.

RUN IN PARTITION 2 WHERE LEOPARD CLONE GO TO UTILITIES RUN DISK UTILITY AND CHOOSEUSB DRIVE GUID PARTITION AND CLOSE...REOPEN PARTITION 2 LEOPARD CLONE INSTALL SEARCH OSINSTALL AND CLICK THIS...UR EXTERAL DISK NOW IS READY TO BOOT AND INSTALL LEOPARDI M A SUPER WINDOWS USER. I USE MAC FOR 5 DAY AND I RESOLVE THE CASE OF INSTALL LEOPARD IN EXTERNAL DISK.

I HAVE ONLY ONE BUG WHEN LEOPARD SHOW ME MAC OSX CONSOLLE USER AND PASSWORD AND I STOP IN BSD CONSOLLE.

CIAO CIAO FROM ITALY

First off, learn to not use all caps. It's annoying as hell.

Second, Leopard will NOT work on AMD systems until someone hacks the kernel and about 20-some-odd binary files so that the files don't give a {censored} what proc they run on. And to make things even more fun, SSE2 will NOT be supported as Leo is highly optimized for SSE3 and anything less will make it slow as hell.

Hope that helps.

And to answer your post, You do not have the proper files in your install (and I bet your HD isn't partitioned correctly). I also HIGHLY doubt that you even got a console as the kernel will NOT RUN ON AMD! And even then, you need SSE3, Intel, a hacked kernel, a NEW decrypt kext, and a couple other things.

There are already several people who have Leopard working under non-Apple computers, however they do not want to publically disclose how they have done it at this time.

Point is that every Leopard build is vunerable to this kind of modification.

If the people responsible for this publish their guide right now, then Apple can patch it before the release of 10.5.

Once we get a final version of 10.5 released, I am certain that they will not have an issue releasing their howto.

i think with my method in intel cpu its work...see the video

I think the version of leopard 10.5 work in non apple pc it s 9a 303 client and not wwdc version...in amd cpu i install this version in external disk not firewire but usb2 partition guid....the installation start nicely and fast but at 99% mac osx tiger send me this message: many errors please reinstall...i think because i have amd cpu e not intel with update...

when i have intel cpu i think leopard work..

i don t think it s a problem of kernel....or hacks kernel...i think its a bug of leopard 9a 303.

bye bye

:wacko: IN HAVE AMD 3000 + I HAVE TESTED THIS METHOD...I WANT RUN LEOPARD ON MY PC NOT IN MAC.

CIAO CIAO FROM ITALY

Super Windows user, eh?

Then you say you come to Mac and 5 days later you install Leopard on non-Apple hardware. You must be amazing at everything.

PS: You're not really that amazing at English, and there is no need for all those caps. It just makes you sound stupid and craving attention.

The topic is...

Install OS X Leopard on a laptop PC, possible?

i wanna help not mac user and i don t wanna reply to u justin r...

ok?

bye bye

if i m not correct delete my account...for me no problem

YES! keep the good work on..!!

I suppose , correct me if wrong ,this site is intended , like first purpose ,about developing the cool software not the cool language..just INMHO :)

Guest bikedude880

i think with my method in intel cpu its work...see the video

I think the version of leopard 10.5 work in non apple pc it s 9a 303 client and not wwdc version...in amd cpu i install this version in external disk not firewire but usb2 partition guid....the installation start nicely and fast but at 99% mac osx tiger send me this message: many errors please reinstall...i think because i have amd cpu e not intel with update...

when i have intel cpu i think leopard work..

i don t think it s a problem of kernel....or hacks kernel...i think its a bug of leopard 9a 303.

bye bye

Uhm, dude? Thats my {censored} video. That isn't "your method". Yes, that video is 9a343. The install fails because there are checks in the installer. Just wait for Apple to go final for anything on the PC side.

bikedude do you think Leopard will be released (not by Apple ofcourse by the hackintosh scene) on AMD hardware or will we only see it released on Intel hardware?

No comment.

Install Leopard from a running Mac OS install

Login as root !!!!

1) Find "leopard_client_9a303.dmg"

2) Get Info

3) Lock the File so it cannot be damaged

4) double click it to mount it

5) when it mounts go to "System ==> Installation ==> Packages ==> OSInstall.mpkg"

6) Follow the installation steps and choose the volume you set up (it needs to be journalled!!)

7) Start the install

If it freezes during the "BSD Subsystem" Installer, open the Terminal, and type "sudo killall temacs"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

run Leopard installation form hard disk instead DVD

1. Open the Disk Utility application, which is in Applications/Utilities

2. In the list of drives and such on the left, select the volume (disk) you want to put Leopard (or whatever) onto.

3. Now, in the right side of the window, look for a tab called "Restore". Click it.

4. Drag the disk image, in this case the one for Leopard, onto the text box labeled "Source", or click the "Image..." button to look for it.

5. Drag the destination disk, the one you'll be putting stuff onto, from the left-hand pane onto the text box labeled "Destination".

(Note: in this case, you'll want to make sure the "Skip checksum" checkbox is checked, or you'll probably get an error while restoring.)

6. Click the "Restore" button, and sit back and let Disk Utility do its thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leopard on common 4.7 GB DVD

1. Use disk utility to convert the image to read/write

2. Mount & remove Xcode folder, then unmount

3. Create a new image that is 4.2 GB

4. Restore the converted RW dmg to the new 4.2 GB dmg

5. Burn in toast

6. Boot it

My method freeze in installation> get error please reinstall with 9a303...

ps> i don t like copy another user guide and put as my method..i test my method in tiger osx without guide or help.. i use always my mind.

it s another method... i find this on web..

bye bye

i m correct...

this the link...

http://www.osxx86.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17

bye bye

post-9948-1173182955_thumb.jpg

have you even read that thread? they are even as lost as you! You must have a real mac to run leo or hack the kernel and dozens of files to get it running on a PC! please stop lying and stop thinking we're idiots that will believe you!