Should i sell my imac?

17 posts in this topic

Hey world! I put my imac on ebay for $899. It is 17" with 1.83 Intel Core duo and 512MB RAM cd/dvd/burner/player and many more...

heres the Ebay listing .

And its nonly been like 2 weeks and people have been emailing me asking if i would like to recive a check or money order or direct pay from then and will i actually send the item out. I mean do they not believe that i'm selling it? Or is it too cheap price? I've had it for over 6 months and its in a great shape. i originally ended up paying $1600. So i dunno.. is it worth selling it for $899? Please give suggestions! Thanks!! :gun:

Those are mostly nigirian scam people who want to buy it. You get a check then your bank pays, you send the mac, then the bank says, sorry the check was not good, we take the money back. Byebye money and mac.

You could ask at least 80% of the new price maybe more. I see many people here sell mac for almost the new price and still the get selled. I dont know why, it seems that some apple buyers are a bit stupid and have to much money. So use them :(

But for 6 month old and in good shape 80 to 90% would be reasonable.

Tell us more, why are you selling it? To buy a pc? A better iMac? Why did you spend $1600, I don't understand?

I think it's a pretty good computer, you can keep it, maybe upgrade the RAM if you want to.

Well Yeah. I'm selling it to eather upgrade to macbook pro or 24" imac.

Those are mostly nigirian scam people who want to buy it. You get a check then your bank pays, you send the mac, then the bank says, sorry the check was not good, we take the money back. Byebye money and mac.

You could ask at least 80% of the new price maybe more. I see many people here sell mac for almost the new price and still the get selled. I dont know why, it seems that some apple buyers are a bit stupid and have to much money. So use them :)

But for 6 month old and in good shape 80 to 90% would be reasonable.

Thanks for the alert. Althought theese people are willing to pay me in the way i want. meaning that paypal or direct deposite or whatever is good. even money order. So far i dont feel sucpecious.. i dont see a reason why thye'd search for 17" imac to play the prank on...

you could ask $1200 for it and people would pay it. mac's don't deprecate in value like pc's

I dont think they would.. figuring that brand new imac with same spec as mine are $999 now.. (www.apple.com)

Thanks so much guys! I've really gotten more confidence and info. But i still aint going for a final decision.. i need more advices.

I know you're skeptical, but I'm seriously warning you that selling an iMac on eBay is a bad idea. I tried to sell my old laptop (see sig) and got very few legitimate buyers. A lot of times it goes down like this:

Person buys, then emails saying "Can you ship to me/my daughter/son/whatever in Nigeria? I'll pay full expense blah blah." Asking for alternate forms of payment should raise a red flag right away.

They send you a fake payment, phishing email, fake check, whatever it takes to make you think you have the money.

You're out money and computer.

Be VERY wary if you sell this thing on eBay.

Edited by Stadsport

Consider that $50 extra (factoring in shipping) would net you a brand new 17" iMac from the Apple Store. The Core 2 Duo machines are twice as fast and would come with a manufacturer's warranty.

Edited by Xenctuary

Always use Paypal, sure they might charge you a bit, but atleast you will be safe - always.

not so... if you send it to a smaller/non-English country you aren't protected and they can file a claim that you never shipped the item and poof, there goes your money.

but yeah

use good judgment, I guess.

Some friendly advice.

1. You should start the auction at a much lower price. You won't generate any interest if you start out too high. Start out low and people will bookmark your auction and constantly check back.

2. Your shipping cost is a bit high. You could make it low or even free. Don't worry, people always take shipping into account when they bid. They will be more relaxed about bidding if they knew they didn't have to tack on a large shipping price to the end of auction. Also, change the carrier to FEDEX or UPS. Right or wrong, people don't trust the postal service with fragile merchandise.

3. Your description could be a lot better. Just copy and paste Apple's own marketing hype about the iMac. Or copy and paste the description off another auction.

4. Are there a few months left on the warranty? If so, mention that to put people at ease.

5. The biggest problem is that you don't have your own pictures. Take a bunch of pictures and host them on flickr or some other service. Put the imgs in the body of the auction, not one of their expensive galleries. A boat load of pictures (at least 5 but more is better) goes a long way in settling people's fears about bidding. You have low feedback and the best way to counteract that is to give people a ton of "proof." If you don't have a camera, borrow someone else's.

edit: look at this auction to see what I'm talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iMac-20-inch-Cor...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Vladimir

to avoid nigerian scammer, choose the option to sell within australia only, so you have the reason to remove any illegitimate bidder, and safer for payment. I believe, with a population of 20+million (of course not all will use eBay) you'll have more than enough interested buyers. I personally avoid selling internationally because of all the hassle associated with it.

to avoid nigerian scammer, choose the option to sell within australia only, so you have the reason to remove any illegitimate bidder, and safer for payment. I believe, with a population of 20+million (of course not all will use eBay) you'll have more than enough interested buyers. I personally avoid selling internationally because of all the hassle associated with it.

This helps, just be careful if you include a buy it now option. One guy bought mine immediately, and despite my policy being US only, he asked to ship to Nigeria.