FIX for the Disk Utility bugs

the_defiant

58 posts in this topic

no longer have to boot with dvd - thank you!!

patched as detailed in 1st post

backed up all my essentail stuff, apps, mail..

fdisk /mbr on my drive (win98 boot cd with a few tools like fdisk and format)

fdisk remove all partitions

fdisk make a new partition, format it.

sys c: to make sure it could boot (i had a fudged mbr from acronis and grub) - it boots to c prompt.

boot from osx dvd, erase partition as hfs journaled

install with customizations

choose same username during install as before.. restore everything from backups..

installed my ethernet kext and ran applehda installer.. then quatzdegbug.

better than new. golden.

everything works great now, boots in 15 seconds - titan rocks.. natit took forever.

anyways, this fix is awesome.

Well, there is no doubt this fix has worked for many, however I am having trouble getting it to work on my machine. I have an HP dv9000, T7200 CPU, 2GB RAM, 17 screen, nVidia 7600 w/ 512MB, 100GB drive, Intel LAN & wireless card.

I have gone through many of the issues others have such as the ACPI Panic, the infinite blinking cursor and so on. I followed the instructions here and took the original 10.4.8 jaS ISO, put on the patch, and then added the other patch, just as outlined here, but no go. I get the off-white background with the Apple logo with the spinner below it for a few moments... then my screen goes black, the fans kick up, and if I let it sit long enough, my machine gets really hot. I have no other recourse but to hold in the power button to shut the machine down.

P.S. - At some point in the install of the original 10.4.8 DVD (before patching) somewhere it was bannering as B2, as in BETA 2. Does anyone know WITH CERTAINTY, whether this is a factor or not?

Please help.

Thank you.

Edited by Mammoth

First of all THANK you for sharing...

I have installed 10.4.8 + jas ppf1 + defiant patch and all works very well.

The only thing that was wrong is the capability of restoring system images from disk utility (this capability works well whitout defiant patch, but in defiant patch is impossible to select the destination to restore).

Well... if there is anyone that knows how to fix this....

thanks all :thumbsup_anim:

Guest BuildSmart
First of all THANK you for sharing...

I have installed 10.4.8 + jas ppf1 + defiant patch and all works very well.

The only thing that was wrong is the capability of restoring system images from disk utility (this capability works well whitout defiant patch, but in defiant patch is impossible to select the destination to restore).

Well... if there is anyone that knows how to fix this....

thanks all :)

I have yet to see a patch that reliably resolves the drag/drop for restoring a disk image in disk utility while booting from the install DVD.

loris, glad that you also noticed the problem I posted before. But I had this problems with the fully unpatched and only single patched image before. But this was my only problem with disk utility.

I have AMD SSE2 and SSE3 systems with nforce 3 and 4 chipset. Except the disk utility problem I can fix the other problems manually (Windows network not working, SATA not working on nForce 4, CPU temp too high) but there's the disk utility problem and the missing PCI support in 10.4.8 and these are the only reasons why I cant use 10.4.8 now. Thats very problematic cause a friend has a AMD x2 cpu and its working on my old 10.4.6 image + 10.4.7 update only in SSE2. But it isn't possible to install 10.4.8 yet. His nForce 4 chipset components are slightly different the ones on my boards, it has another LAN chip. So forcedeth driver can't connect (No valid PHY detected). Due to the missing PCI support it isnt possible to use a PCI network card. We do not use wireless and a USB network card is hard to get (and if it works is another thing). Would be great if anyone could do another disk utility and pci support fix.

GreetinX from the Other Side!

OK, so i think i have read everything that there is to read on the entire Internet about this topic in a vain attempt to understand why my OSx86 project will install correctly but then on first reboot after install i just get a black screen, no flashing cursors, nothing at all! Needless to say this is frustrating me no end, impacting my sleep and general concentration elsewhere in life!

Then i came across this thread and reckon that the defiant patch maybe the answer to my problem! Only problem is i can't find the ppf1 patch anywhere on the net! I have the jas 10.4.8 install dvd (which works) and i have the defiant patch and ppf-o-matic. Im not a demonoid member and cant become one at the moment. I have begun downloading a new jas 10.4.8 with ppf1 but its gonna take days to obtain and i am a wreck!

Can any of you kind folk suggest how i could obtain the ppf1 patch, like today?

Thank you please!

So thanks to Naquadaa, i am now downloading the ppf1 patch so that i can patch the original iso before adding defiants patch afterward. Wont have it till this time tomorrow however.

I'm convinced that my problem is related to the hard drive, partition issues people are discussing.

I have had no problems using the disk utility app on the original JaS 10.4.8 install dvd, but im guessing that just cos it looks like its working, doesnt mean it is right? (it does run very slowly indeed).

I thought i would connect the hard drive to my macbook by means of an ide to usb convertor and erase and partition the disk from disk utility on my lappy, then reconnect to pc and try the install again. I also thought i might disable any SATA components on the motherboard as i am not using it.

Does anyone think this might work, or am i simply impatient and should wait until i have complete defiant patched dvd?

Ta.

My spec: Asus P5VDC-X , Intel Celeron D 351 (3.2GHz), 768MB DDR1, GeForce FX5200 128MB.

I cant install. I´ve done everything as it says in the first post but i cant install.

I get this error message:

disk2s3: I/0

SAM MULTIMEDIA: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0X11, ASCQ = 0X00

Then i tried whith another driver and a similar error appears:

disk3s3: I/0

Load of /sbin/ launched, errno 5, Trying /sbin/mach_init

any ideas of may causing this?

thank´s in advance.

Edited by Biofobico

Some people reported that their systems were unbootable after installing the latest JaS ISO + ppf v1.

Personally, I've had issues with the old SSE3-INTEL-only ISO and I had to use the Disk Utility from 10.4.7 in order to obtain an OSX86 install which actually booted.

Therefore, I created this ppf which has to be applied to the latest JaS ISO. You need JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 ISO + JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3.v1p ppf.

You apply this ppf to the ISO, which you obtain after patching it with the PPF from JaS, and then you have the latest version of JaS's OSX86 + the Disk Utility from 10.4.7.

It's a 23,4MB large zip archive. Uncompressedd, it's a ~34MB large ppf.

Download here:

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/55525/Def...util-7-zip.html

http://media3.filewind.com/g.php?filepath=2914

Edit: Nevermind. The download links seem to be working again as of this morning, Feb 19th. I guess someone must've refreshed them. Thanks again to all in the community. :) Especially those contributing regularly like Defiant with this patch, Jas, Diabolik, and others.

Hi All,

I'm unfortunately having an impossible time finding this ppf file anywhere for the past few days. The above links no longer work either it seems.

Can anyone help? And is this one in the same as "Defiant.diskutil.7.ppf" ?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can direct me to a good download link, upload to a fresh source, or PM me with the file.

Thanks again to Jas, Defiant, and others who have invested their time and efforts in the osx86 community.

Take care.

Edited by rational

• 2 weeks later...

hello I manage to install the program but when it loads appears the silver mac logo loading and soon I listen a music and a voice given me instruccion but the screen always do not change I has left in in silver mac logo im from venezuela sorry if my english is not to good thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Whats does the Defiant Disk Utility do?

This PPF from Defiant just reverts the Disk Utility on the install disc to the one that came with JaS's 10.4.7 install disc. (It appears some people are having fewer problems using Disk Utility after applying Defiant's patch.)

It does not affect the Disk Utility that is installed to your hard drive after you've successfully installed 10.4.8 on your computer.

HTH

Some people reported that their systems were unbootable after installing the latest JaS ISO + ppf v1.

Personally, I've had issues with the old SSE3-INTEL-only ISO and I had to use the Disk Utility from 10.4.7 in order to obtain an OSX86 install which actually booted.

Therefore, I created this ppf which has to be applied to the latest JaS ISO. You need JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 ISO + JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3.v1p ppf.

You apply this ppf to the ISO, which you obtain after patching it with the PPF from JaS, and then you have the latest version of JaS's OSX86 + the Disk Utility from 10.4.7. That should save people from booting twice, while others, wouldn't need to download 10.4.7 just for using Disk Utility to partition their hard drives.

So is there a way to fix the old SSE3-INTEL-only ISO ? or do I have to find the last iso and download again?

Will this help me in doing my quad booting setup, because every time i install osx on the partion i choose to install it on which is fat32 at the time, in the disk utility i choose erase then the journalized fs after the install it seems to wipe all my part's out in the whole hard drive even the one that the disk util created, why??? will this help??

I found a setting in the BIOS of my Asus P5LD2-VM Mobo that has stopped the booting issue with mine. Under the IDE setup I turned on Enhanced Mode Support. This enabled the SATA ports on my Mobo, but it also helped my booting issue...

Kage_

• 1 month later...

hi i am new!! i want to install MAC os x. well, i have downloaded mac os x 10.4.7 ( i don't remember website exactly) . i wrote the iso file on DVD and (tried to install by vmware but there were some problebs so i decided to install it by bios) i installed it with bios. everything was ok i clicked on partition and then custom installetion there were patches for intell i marked it and for AMD i disselected. it cheked dvd disk and then started installation . then it requeted to restart and i clicked on it . then i saw blackbackground with these sentences continuing done mach reboot. i rebooted myself and mac os x didn't started . i saw only apple logo . it wasstolen and i couldn't do anything. plz tell me what is the problem? why ouldn't i started OS?

• 4 months later...

i am trying to do the Vmvare osx install

i got to the part to select colume Scheme and i cant dropp it down to select one

my JaS 10.4 SE2 SSE3

do i need to patch this?

is this patch patching the virtual install or is it going to patch my current master os (XP)

thanks for input

by the way the links to all the patches are down

thanks 4 any input

post-136285-1190436682_thumb.jpg