FIX for the Disk Utility bugs

the_defiant

58 posts in this topic

Some people reported that their systems were unbootable after installing the latest JaS ISO + ppf v1.

Personally, I've had issues with the old SSE3-INTEL-only ISO and I had to use the Disk Utility from 10.4.7 in order to obtain an OSX86 install which actually booted.

Therefore, I created this ppf which has to be applied to the latest JaS ISO. You need JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 ISO + JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3.v1p ppf.

You apply this ppf to the ISO, which you obtain after patching it with the PPF from JaS, and then you have the latest version of JaS's OSX86 + the Disk Utility from 10.4.7. That should save people from booting twice, while others, wouldn't need to download 10.4.7 just for using Disk Utility to partition their hard drives.

It's a 23,4MB large zip archive. Uncompressedd, it's a ~34MB large ppf.

What does it fix?

It solves those problems like "completely unbootable system" ( this is for the people that can't boot at all, it doesn't fix things like hanging after the apple logo appeared and so on).

Enjoy using it and report if it solved your issues.

NOTE: This will NOT WORK with the original SSE2/3 INTEL/AMD ISO, it will only work if you patch it with the ppf which JaS provided.

P.S.: This ppf also contains undo information. If it doesn't work for you or you just want to recreate the original ISO, this will help.

That's why I say it's pretty safe.

LE: I started from a clean 10.4.8 AMD/INTEL SSE2/3 JaS ISO, then I applied the PPFv1 from JaS, after that, I applied my patch and wrote it to a DVD-R.

I installed it on two PCs, mine and a friend's computer and everything was ok. I got rid of the problems which I had before with the new ISOs.

This means the patch fixes what I said it does.

Download here:

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/55525/Def...util-7-zip.html

http://media3.filewind.com/g.php?filepath=2914

Credits:

Thank you, Jas, for creating the ISOs

Thank you, Semthex, for working on the 8.8.1 kernel

Edited by the_defiant

You're welcome!

I've changed Disk Utility which can be found in the /Applications/Utilities folder on the ISO.

It does not change the Disk Utility which gets installed on your machine.

Are you saying that: the version of the Disk Utility used, while booted from the JaS 10.4.8 install disk, is different from the version

that gets installed to the hard disk?

If you have a listing of the specific Disk Utility versions, between 10.4.7 & 10.4.8, that would be great.

I am saying that I used the version which was used in the 10.4.7 DVD, also made by JaS.

You can also use this one on your installed system.It's easy to do so, just replace the old one on your /Applications/Utilities. Though, I had no reason to do that and I didn't do it.

torkra128: You're welcome!

I tested the ppf personally and the resulting install dvd worked on two PCs. It's verified, it does work and I got rid of the Disk Utility bugs.

I think this might be the fix I'm looking for. To clarify, my problem is this:

I cannot boot off of the hard drive that Mac OS is installed to. When I have the hard drive set as the first boot device in bios, I just get a blinking cursor in the top of the screen for a few seconds, and then a message saying "operating system not found". But, if I have my CD drive set as the first boot device, and let the bootloader for the install DVD timeout, it will then proceed to boot from the hard drive. The hard drive on it's own is not bootable, nor is it bootable with the chain0 method.

Will this patch fix the above problem, allowing me to boot from the hard drive? Would extrating the disc utility from a previous DVD other than 10.4.8, allow me to use the disc utility to somehow make the drive bootable?

To clarify, my problem is this:

I cannot boot off of the hard drive that Mac OS is installed to. When I have the hard drive set as the first boot device in bios, I just get a blinking cursor in the top of the screen for a few seconds, and then a message saying "operating system not found". But, if I have my CD drive set as the first boot device, and let the bootloader for the install DVD timeout, it will then proceed to boot from the hard drive. The hard drive on it's own is not bootable, nor is it bootable with the chain0 method.

I had the exactly same problem before. But I found a way to fix it before finding this thread. Basicaly, from my understanding, the AF partition is good, but the MBR is not. Since the chain0 methods need the MBR, so it doesn't work either. If you can use Windows, Linux and whatever to fix the MBR without destroying the partition info, you are all set.

What I did was

1. use Linux Live CD to partition the disk and give HFS+ partition "AF", NTFS partition "7", FAT32 partition "b";

2. boot with the patched DVD, install Mac; As expected, the machine didn't boot.

3. go ahead and install Windows

4. use Linux Live CD to active the HFS+ partition. I think you can also use chain0 method to boot Mac (I didn't try, it should work; I used the Mac to boot Windows)

Good luck.

I'm experiencing the same problems, but can someone assist me in the actual procedure to creating this new Install DVD with the applied patches mentioed in the_defiant's post, this will assist me greatly.

I'm sorry I new to all of this.

Thank You

When I have the hard drive set as the first boot device in bios, I just get a blinking cursor in the top of the screen for a few seconds, and then a message saying "operating system not found". But, if I have my CD drive set as the first boot device, and let the bootloader for the install DVD timeout, it will then proceed to boot from the hard drive.

IMHO the thing is that when you prepare the whole HD in DiskUtility for the install pay some attention to the way you do it. If you merely "erase" the HD you shall get the result described just above. But if you go under the tab "Partition" and repartition the HD as "single partition" (or 2 or more - it's up to you) BEFORE erasing things go ok after installation.

P.S. However applying the ppf-patch may definitely help in some cases. And may not. :jester:

Edited by Sudar

the_defiant,

The error that pops up is it HFS_Mountroot failed? My machine will randomly not boot and after a few time it boots w/o a problem and everything is great. Also, what is the MD5 of the ISO once this patch is applied?

Kage_

Edited by Kage_

You're all welcome.

@Sudar, for all those who said they couldn't even get to boot their system (as in they weren't even getting to the apple logo), it did fix their problem.

It also fixes what wasn't working in the 10.4.8 Disk Utility, because it's the one from .7, which always worked for me, no matter what.

@Kage:

The patcher knows if your file has been patched and is OK. That's because it knows the old hash of the file (the one of the original ISO + PPfv1) and the one that you should end up with. The patcher tells you if you the file you obtained after applying my patch is ok or not, it tells you if it succeeded. Success means 100% identical to the ISO which I, and everyone else, gets after applying the Defiant Disk Util patch.

In other words, "listen" to the PPF program, if your file isn't identical to mine, it complains that the patching failed. It also complains if the hash of the ISO which is going to be patched doesn't match mine.

Because others managed to get rid of their Disk Util. problems after using the patch, I encourage everyone to apply it. No harm will be done, the patch even includes UNDO data, so you can return to the JaS ISO + JaS PPFv1 version.

Edited by the_defiant

I have a different with disk utility now: if I try to recover a partition from a .dmg image I get an error -5308. If I do not select 'Erase the disk' then I get the message 'Not supported by drive: Error 19'.

I have two boot partitions, one is for main use and one for recovery when somethings going wrong. In 10.4.7 disk recovery using disk utility was no problem, but now...? Has anyone an idea?

GreetinX from the Other Side, Naquaada.

Did you patch your JaS 10.4.8 SSE2/3 AMD/INTEL + PPFv1 with my ppf?

If the Disk Utility.app from 10.4.7 install dvd worked fine for you and a newer one is causing you trouble, then this should fix that problem.

Try to patch your ISO with my patch. You NEED 10.4.8 SSE2/3 AMD/INTEL patched with PPFv1 from JaS before you can apply my ppf.

That should fix your issue.

No, it isn't working at all. I tested patched versions of JaS 10.4.8, first with both patches, after it with the main patch only. I used the tried the Disk Utility from an old 10.4.7 installation and the one from myzars 10.4.6 install disc. I also replaced IOATAfamily.kext, still the same. But maybe there are problems with disk images at all, I also get errors creating blank images with Disk Utility. On my USB-Stick I used amy own icon, background picture and a finder window without symbol bar like on original CDs/DVDs/DMGs. On 10.4.8 I got a standard white DMG icon and it opened in a normal finder window, so it all looked crappy. I replaced System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter, still no effect. I now reverted to 10.4.7 and all is working fine, I also can restore the 10.4.8 disk images, they are not corrupted.

If you want to do another patch for the DVD, care about these things:

- Replace Quicktime 7.1.3 and iTunes 7 with older versions (7.1.2/6.05). Quicktime is so awful slow on a SSE2/AGP machine, its not possible to watch a movie in larger sizes. Especcially problematic is that the DVD Player is using Quicktime, to watch a DVD is absolutely impossible. iTunes 7 is also very slow on SSE2. The newer versions can be downloaded via software update.

iTunes 6.05: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/itunes605formac.html

Quicktime 7.1.2: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/qui...e712formac.html

- Replace AppleVIAATA.kext with the 10.4.7 version. The new one isn't working on nForce 4 systems (nForce 3 works)

- Replace smbfs.kext with 10.4.7 version. I got no Windows network on both nForce 3 and 4 with 10.4.8 kext (Marvell 88E1111 NIC)

- AGPGart has a new version 2.2 (on DVD is 2.1). But AGPGart 2.x is very slow (about 44 in Xbench on my X1600Pro). Version 1.6 got speed results like my PCI-E X1600Pro, but no CI/QE and the driver wasn't loaded after the 2nd reboot.

AGPGart: http://x86dev.org/forums/index.php?PHPSESS...5&board=2.0

- modify AppleACPIPlatform.kext. Delete in the kext Contents/Plugins/AppleThermal.kext. Its keeps laptops cooler and this works also on desktop systems. My Athlon 64 got with low usage to about 49°C/120°F and fan up to 5400 rpm. Without AppleThermal.kext CPU temp is in normal to higer usage not higer then 43-45°/109-113°F after long use, fan speed is about 3800.

- Realtek 8139 and C-Media 8738 support shouldn't work (not tested by myself)

It would be great if you get PCI slot functionality back. A board from a friend has a nForce 4 NIC with isn't supported by the forcedeth driver. But he can't even use a PCI ethernet card. So we have to use 10.4.7 again, and this is bad because his Athlon 64 x2 isn't supported so well in 10.4.7. The language chooser is also defective, after every installation the setup/language/country/keyboard is english again. This problem was on all install DVDs I know. English users won't notice that problem. If you need more space for programs on the DVD, delete the printer drivers. I don't think that any user needs 2 Gig on drivers, many manufacturers have newer ones. Especially Epson has great Intel drivers which are working prefectly in OSx86.

With all these problems, especcially the Disk Utility and Quicktime 7.1.3 problem it is not possible to use 10.4.8 on my SSE2/AGP system. I use 10.4.7 again, but it works great too.

GreetinX from the Other Side, Naquaada.

If you want to do another patch for the DVD, care about these things:

- Replace Quicktime 7.1.3 and iTunes 7 with older versions (7.1.2/6.05). Quicktime is so awful slow on a SSE2/AGP machine, its not possible to watch a movie in larger sizes. Especcially problematic is that the DVD Player is using Quicktime, to watch a DVD is absolutely impossible. iTunes 7 is also very slow on SSE2.

Don't know about other things you mentioned, but for the one quoted here I have to disagree. I have a Pentium M SSE2 machine and I have none of these problems (10.4.8 8.8.1). But I don't have an AGP graphics card, it is a PCI-E nVidia (it is a laptop).

Sure, if you have a PCI-E card this is no problem. Do an Xbench gfx test - do you get a result about 40? About the disk image problem: Have you ever tried to REWRITE an image back to a harddisk? Creating images is no problem, but restoring isn't working. I have three partitions on my main harddisk, two are bootable. If I want to restore one of the boot partitions, I boot in the other one and can restore it from there. Restoring from the install DVD isn't possible 'cause you have to drag the drive from the left side to the main window, but drag'n'drop isn't supported in the install DVD.

I can't see any advantages in 10.4.8 yet. AGP graphics is as slow as in PCI mode, Disk Utility recovery and removeable drives problems, Windows network must be fixed, SATA/Realtek/C-Media 8738 drivers not working correctly, no PCI card support, CPU too to hot without fixing, slow iTunes and Quicktime, no way to watch a DVD... going with all these problems only for the 8.8.1 kernel? I'll stay with 10.4.7 until these problems are solved. Maybe in 10.4.9?

GreetinX from the Other Side!