Red Box project? (Possibly a project by Apple to run Win software)

Sentertainment

22 posts in this topic

I just pulled this up, it seems there is speculation about an old (rumored, as far as I know) project called Red Box, the attempt to run Windows Apps on Macs!

Now it seems some speculate it may be back in action as Apple is going Intel!

http://newsvac.newsforge.com/newsvac/05/06/27/0045244.shtml

Whether or not it's true, I'd like to know about the Red Box project and whether it's real or not! :P

I just pulled this up, it seems there is speculation about an old (rumored, as far as I know) project called Red Box, the attempt to run Windows Apps on Macs!

Now it seems some speculate it may be back in action as Apple is going Intel!

http://newsvac.newsforge.com/newsvac/05/06/27/0045244.shtml

Whether or not it's true, I'd like to know about the Red Box project and whether it's real or not! :P

This sounds good:

"The strategy, would instantly entitle them to being regarded as the most compatible of any operating system. "

It will run Unix apps and evtL. M$ apps so OSX86 needs just a feature to run Linux apps like Solaris 10 and then it's really the "most compatible of any operating system" :P

Hope this will come soon...

Good idea in theory...but really, why bother with this, when we have Darwine? Although it's still not capable of running all your Windows Apps, It does a good job on the ones it can. Plus, the support of the community is an added bonus. As soon as someone gets a fix for a non-working App, it can be added into the CVS. Having the community behind a project like that could ultimatley mean a very robust, and up to date piece of software.

Good idea in theory...but really, why bother with this, when we have Darwine? Although it's still not capable of running all your Windows Apps, It does a good job on the ones it can. Plus, the support of the community is an added bonus. As soon as someone gets a fix for a non-working App, it can be added into the CVS. Having the community behind a project like that could ultimatley mean a very robust, and up to date piece of software.

The OS X kernel has a community. OpenDarwin. It would be the same as this, but Apple themselves would farm code to integrate the system with OS X itself. Drag and drop, etc... not to mention the market points.

-huma

Huh, I'm a bit interested in Darwine...

I tried Wine, once got it to Install an app, but it never ran.

Since then I tried again, and couldn't even get Wine set up.

Is Darwine just as hard to set up? Also, Wine is not an emulator, it's a re-build on the windows library for linux...is Darwin a rebuild for Darwin?

Huh, I'm a bit interested in Darwine...

I tried Wine, once got it to Install an app, but it never ran.

Since then I tried again, and couldn't even get Wine set up.

Is Darwine just as hard to set up? Also, Wine is not an emulator, it's a re-build on the windows library for linux...is Darwin a rebuild for Darwin?

Darwine is very easy to use. Run it one, and everything with PC tags will show the darwine icon. Click the app you want to run (try to run), and dawine automatically takes over and attempts to run said app.

Only problem is it doesn't run much yet.

I'm still looking for a solution to run XP within OSX86! Has anyone had success using VPC, Guest PC, QEMU, etc? I would kill to be able to run windows off my second drive while in OSX... yes..KILL :blink: . So, if you need a hit job, just get XP working on my desktop and you shall have your wish granted :) .

Darwine is very easy to use. Run it one, and everything with PC tags will show the darwine icon. Click the app you want to run (try to run), and dawine automatically takes over and attempts to run said app.

Only problem is it doesn't run much yet.

I'm still looking for a solution to run XP within OSX86! Has anyone had success using VPC, Guest PC, QEMU, etc? I would kill to be able to run windows off my second drive while in OSX... yes..KILL :D . So, if you need a hit job, just get XP working on my desktop and you shall have your wish granted :) .

The PPC Version of Bochs & GuestPC are runing in OSX86. Booth are very slow :)

Possible that if you compile Bochs for x86 it will be faster.

The PPC Version of Bochs & GuestPC are runing in OSX86. Booth are very slow :)

Possible that if you compile Bochs for x86 it will be faster.

So what is needed to get VPC and Guest PC working? Has anyone tried to port them? Must they be open source?

So what is needed to get VPC and Guest PC working? Has anyone tried to port them? Must they be open source?

VPC and GuestPC are not open source so you have to wait that the manufacturer release a x86 version.

Bochs & Qemu are open-source so fell free to compile it :)

P.S: guest PC is based on qemu

I can definitly believe this rumor. Look at Marklar, which was the rumored x86 version of osx. No one really thought it would ever get released even if it did exist, and it indeed did at WWDC. I would hardly be surprised if it worked flawlessly like rosetta does now.

The rumor makes sense because apple could tout that their computers can run Windows apps, and, furthermore if they ported a DirectX layer to OSX, they could tout that their computers could run windows games, which is the reason many people, including me, haven't "switched" yet.

To me, a person who has NEVER owned a mac EVER, this is very appealing. I've always wanted to own a Mac, but have been put off by the fact that it won't run Windows applications (at full speed). I've loved apples innovation, used macs at school, and loved their design. If apple does introduce a windows-compatibiltiy layer, i'd become a Mac zealot B). Apple, in my opinion anyway, could have a 90% marketshare on desktop personal computers(no joke!) if they implemented this compatibility layer. Even though the computers are more expensive, apple is renowned for their support, and reliabiltiy, which, I think, would drive most people to Macs.

Anyway, I hope a compatibility layer gets released!

Mike

I can definitly believe this rumor. Look at Marklar, which was the rumored x86 version of osx. No one really thought it would ever get released even if it did exist, and it indeed did at WWDC. I would hardly be surprised if it worked flawlessly like rosetta does now.

The rumor makes sense because apple could tout that their computers can run Windows apps, and, furthermore if they ported a DirectX layer to OSX, they could tout that their computers could run windows games, which is the reason many people, including me, haven't "switched" yet.

To me, a person who has NEVER owned a mac EVER, this is very appealing. I've always wanted to own a Mac, but have been put off by the fact that it won't run Windows applications (at full speed). I've loved apples innovation, used macs at school, and loved their design. If apple does introduce a windows-compatibiltiy layer, i'd become a Mac zealot <_<. Apple, in my opinion anyway, could have a 90% marketshare on desktop personal computers(no joke!) if they implemented this compatibility layer. Even though the computers are more expensive, apple is renowned for their support, and reliabiltiy, which, I think, would drive most people to Macs.

Anyway, I hope a compatibility layer gets released!

Mike

They said, They wont do anything to avoid windows instalations on new macs (macintels)... Here's your compatibility issue Hoped B)

i think red box is an apple's virtualization solution.

imagine switching osx and xp like using fast user switching :D

Yes, but one of the ideal things would be a seamless integration. That is, not having to switch between the two environments, but being able to copy/paste, drag/drop stuff seamlessly between the two. That's one of things Darwine has going for it, as things can easily be copied from the host system to the running App.

Yes, but one of the ideal things would be a seamless integration. That is, not having to switch between the two environments, but being able to copy/paste, drag/drop stuff seamlessly between the two. That's one of things Darwine has going for it, as things can easily be copied from the host system to the running App.

Wait wait wait.... Is there a Windows program that will run in Darwine where I can drag and drop files into it, and have it copy them on my Windows hard drive? That would be the EASIEST solution to move things back and forth from OSX to Windows, and more convenient than a seperate FAT partition. Hmm.. Ideas anyone? :rolleyes:

This whole running-Windows-apps-through-OS X actually kinda scares me. Think about this from the position of a software developer: if both Macs and PCs can run Win32 apps, but only Macs can run Mac programs, which will you end up coding? What's the point of making two versions if one will run on both platforms? So the amount of programs coded specifically for OS X could drop significantly.

Now think about this as a consumer. You can choose to buy either a Dell running Windows XP/Vista, or a Mactel machine with Tiger/Leopard. In theory, both machines will run the exact same programs. So why are you going to spend almost twice as much for an Apple when a Dell will serve the same purpose? For most people, OS X itself is not enough of a reason to justify the huge price increase. So you buy Windows because its essentially the same as OS X, but cheaper. Bad news for Apple.

Granted, this is a plan that would work exceedingly well in the short-run, and would definitely please people like me (who only don't own a Mac because of software incompatabilities). I'd personally love to see Red Box or, at the very least, Darwine running well on OS X x86 by the time it hits the market. I'm just afraid that it might end up being suicide.

going off past technologies, namely yellowbox it'd be a set of universal frameworks that translate apis into a readable fashion. Somewhat similar in idea to what wine or the win32 api set for os/2 do but also different at the same time. It would work on a ppc due to the fact that the frameworks are tooled for the cpu. if you want more info on yellow box read up on rhapsody.

I don't believe it.

First off, I think this would land Apple in a lawsuit with Microsoft... I'm sure somewhere down the line, in order to make this work without emulation, they would have to use SOMETHING that belonged specifically to Microsoft and therefore, once Microsoft discovered what it was, they'd sue the asses off of Apple. That's just my thoughts on it.