Mac OS X Web Sharing.

8 posts in this topic

Hey, trying to set up Web sharing accross the internet (i'll get a dns soon) but I can't get from the internal network (Lan) to the outside. ie the global IP doesn't point you to my Mac's IP. Yes, I have port forwarding all set up on port 80, I've diabled all firewalls temporarily, and I don't know what the problem is. I have done it before on windows. Do I have to enable listenning on port 80? if so, how? I don't know how to manipulate the apache server like I would with the one on windows: how do I get to its settings?

-Urby

When you put Apache on, it automatically will listen on port 80. The only idea i have is that your ISP is blocking incoming traffic on port 80.

Edit the file /private/etc/httpd/httpd.conf

You will find a line that says Port 80

change that to a random port and also forward that port in your router.

When you put Apache on, it automatically will listen on port 80. The only idea i have is that your ISP is blocking incoming traffic on port 80.

Edit the file /private/etc/httpd/httpd.conf

You will find a line that says Port 80

change that to a random port and also forward that port in your router.

Turns out this wasn't the problem... read on!

are you trying to access you global ip from your computer? if so that wont work, try get a friend to access it for you

No, I was actually aware of that and was/am logged into my work, accessing the site from there.

It turns out the problem was stupid me not adding the site to library/web server/documents. This is the location of the site when accessed with loacalhost, in other words, the REAL location of he site: the one that actually matters. Published the site there and all is well!

I do have a few more questions (since I'm on the subject): Is there a way to make my global IP give me my site? It's stupid that it won't make a complete turnaround. Is there a script or CGI application that could do this?

Finally, this has been a test and I'm looking to incorporate it for another domain (I'll be taking over hosting, probably). We own the domain and have email addresses for it. Now, the site is already up and running, and has been for years (only we weren't the ones with the server). If my boss decides it's a good decision, money-wise, how would I go about implementing a full solution to give us the emails, and the web-site? It's done with frontpage, so first I'd have to install frontapage extensions, then publish the site there (which isn't a problem). But what about email? That's something I've never done before, and how does the whole technology with email work? If someone could just point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it!

You would have to change the dns servers (whoever you bought the domain from) to your own dns server addresses. Mac OS X server should be able to do this all for you. Or you could use a solution like Zoneedit, that gives you dns server addresses that point to your ip. You would also have to forward your MX records to your ip (you can do this through zoneedit too). The easiest way to accomplish your goal would be mac os x server, but the most efficient would probably be freebsd (although command line only and the hardest to set up). I set up my personal mail server with this guide, http://freebsd.qmailrocks.org and with apache you can add the frontpage extensions.

If you have no prior experience with doing this, it will take alot of you researching. Might want to run it off of windows server since that is what it seems like your site is running off now.

I think then that my first step should be acquiring Mac OS X Server: downloading right now. I want to familiarize myself with it. I have used Windows Server before but not extensively, and I feel just as comfortable with OS X, so i'll give this a shot. I also like how OS X server is mainly freeware stuff, so I may look into incorporating all the free stuff into a normal install, depending on how much we'll need the mailserver.

I'll post back when I've got the OS and I'll try all this again.

To test everything out, we'll either be purchasing another domain, or create a subdomain (secondary DNS) and try with that.

-Urby

OS X server just takes a couple clicks to get mail up and running. You can use IMAP so people will be able to always have the emails on the server in case their computer crashes.

'

I havent tried using the dns, but it looks easy enough.

If you're going to be the admin, i recommend you pick up the Mac OS X server bible.

OS X server just takes a couple clicks to get mail up and running. You can use IMAP so people will be able to always have the emails on the server in case their computer crashes.

'

I havent tried using the dns, but it looks easy enough.

If you're going to be the admin, i recommend you pick up the Mac OS X server bible.

I have significant experience with Windows Server, but have about 10 hours in to a new OSX 10.4 server install and can't even figure out how to get users to mount simple files shares with their own folders, let alone mail.

I'm totally lost as to how to setup Mac OSX Server, and I even bought a book -- no help :thumbsup_anim:

I am trying to accomplish something that I think should be very simple:

I have 4 users in my house -- my wife (Windoze), my daughter (Windoze), my son (Mac :rolleyes:) and me (Mac :))

I want to setup a server that would enable each one of us to log on/mount the server, and upon logging on we would only see our own "home" directory, as well as I would like to setup a share called Family and have this share visible (in addition to their home directory) to each user as part of their mount.

If I can get that working, I'll be on to phase 2 -- I have registered a domain name and want to setup a family website. I bought the DynDNS service (which I've tested) so I'm good in this regards. I would need to setup the server to which I could publish with Dreamweaver, and then make visible (via port 80) to the network, and consequently to the WWW.

If I can get this working, I'll be on to phase 3 -- setting up an FTP site that we can all access remotely for file storage/access.

I don't have to do these in order outlined, but if I can't do all 3 I'll just scrap my entire Mac project and do it in Windows.

Can anyone help me out with the first thing? I will now need to (again...) reformat my Mac and reinstall Mac OSX server because I am certain I've totally screwed the pooch again.

thanks,

/mdg