VMware Kernel

4 posts in this topic

Those of us on Core 2 CPUs have a problem with the existing kernel in VMware. If you are using a 64 bit host or have Intel Virtualization enabled in your BIOS, the kernel shifts into 64 bit mode and crashes.

It would be really nice if we could have a kernel that does not do this.

I have examined Semthex's code with the latest diff applied. The macros for going into 64 bit mode are in \osfmk\i386\asm64

I have attached this file. Its very short.

It would be a simple matter to comment out the lines that switch the kernel into 64 bit mode.

Another problem is XCode Tools also won't run under VMware. If it worked, I would just compile this kernel myself.

Could someone who has a working XCode Tools try this for us? Many Thanks!

Those of us on Core 2 CPUs have a problem with the existing kernel in VMware. If you are using a 64 bit host or have Intel Virtualization enabled in your BIOS, the kernel shifts into 64 bit mode and crashes.

It would be really nice if we could have a kernel that does not do this.

I THINK that the boot flag -legacy keeps any kernel in 32-bit commands only mode.

I followed your own vmware install guide using tubgirls amd dvd on a core2duo dell e520, and removing the default -legacy boot flag caused the unsupported 64bit command issue, but replacing it (or typing it at F8 boot) made it work fine in 32bit only mode.