Analog devices SoundMax AD1981HD on HP notebooks

forcer

115 posts in this topic

I have the same soundcard and issues on a HP nc6320.

I use AppleAzalia.kext, I can see the device, but the main volume is disabled and the left/right channel sliders are adjustable. While OS X loads the mute button light is turned off, then, sometime during its booting, it lights and I can hear a barely perceptible click in the speakers and after that there is no sound anymore.

I tried two other methods but this one was the closest because at least I can see the device.

Did anyone found a solution?

Same problem here,

1981HD here too

its an HP notebook,

i really hope Taruga finds a way to get sound of that that chip.

if someone could program a software switch on for our laptops we could have sound using azalia

if someone could program a software switch on for our laptops we could have sound using azalia

Are there any specifications for this software switch?

I see that some Thinkpads work with exactly the same audio device. Why is this switch specific to HP laptops?

I see that some Thinkpads work with exactly the same audio device. Why is this switch specific to HP laptops?

when you turn on the laptop, the mute switch is off , when the os starts to boot, the mute button is on and it's not possible to remove it even if the card is recognized with appleazalia.

when you turn on the laptop, the mute switch is off , when the os starts to boot, the mute button is on and it's not possible to remove it even if the card is recognized with appleazalia.

It's interesting that without any audio driver configuration the mute button works. When the system boots, the light is off. Then, if I press it, it lights up and turns off however I want. And you can hear that small click in the speakers. Of course, this is useless without the drivers but interesting to note :thumbsup_anim:

I have an nc8430 with a AD1981HD chipset and the same issues (mute always on).. I haven't tried to much to get this working as I have been busy at work and it seems you guys have already done all the hard troubleshooting. Either way, you mention people with the same chipset and different notebooks (thinkpads) are getting audio. Has anyone tried altering the codec dumps (whatever differences there are) between the two with different data and test the results? I honestly am not sure how this all is working (just info from this thread), but it seems this has something to do with it (whatever lines are controlling what).. Seems whatever the line outs on the chips are different among both the laptops.

Either way, duo core seems to run fine with me by altering some kernel flags to tell it my laptop is ACPI, I noticed not many other people were doing this.. Anyone else tried this? How is there system stability?

Thx,

TVO

I have an nc8430 with a AD1981HD chipset and the same issues (mute always on).. I haven't tried to much to get this working as I have been busy at work and it seems you guys have already done all the hard troubleshooting. Either way, you mention people with the same chipset and different notebooks (thinkpads) are getting audio. Has anyone tried altering the codec dumps (whatever differences there are) between the two with different data and test the results? I honestly am not sure how this all is working (just info from this thread), but it seems this has something to do with it (whatever lines are controlling what).. Seems whatever the line outs on the chips are different among both the laptops.

Either way, duo core seems to run fine with me by altering some kernel flags to tell it my laptop is ACPI, I noticed not many other people were doing this.. Anyone else tried this? How is there system stability?

Thx,

TVO

i have never been able to use dual core, could you post your methode and file please?

Thx,

TVO

I installed the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext working on the same audio device from a Thinkpad but the mute button stayed on.

What I found out is that the mute button lights up when AppleAzaliaController.kext is loaded. The problem is that we can't control the main volume. The codecs seem to work, I can play an mp3 and watch the visualisation plugins beating the rhythm, without any sound. It seems to me that there is a problem controling the output and its volume.

I also tried the AppleHDA method, AppleHDAPatcher version 13 accepts my codec dump, patches everything, I reboot but there is no audio device :P .

I have a Core 2 Duo T7200 and if I use both cores Mac OS X kernel crashes, while booting or when it reaches the desktop. I tried "platform=acpi" kernel flag but with the same results. What flags do you use?

I have a Lenovo 3000 N100 which also has a AD1981HD Sound device. I tried several methodes, but I couldn't fix the sound, too. But I do not have any "mute button" or something like that on my desktop.

I hope someone can fix this fast...

i have never been able to use dual core, could you post your methode and file please?

The only thing I remember doing (in past) was disabling DMA bios transfers. virtualization enabled( I don't remember if it worked before I updated my bios and it added this option, I know I had some linux issues until they added this option and I enabled it) and of course dual core enabled - then I modified

Library/Prefrences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and added these settings

under Kernel Flags

<string>platform=ACPI</string>

<string>idehalt=0</string>

(I know you can add these to one line, it just worked this way, so I kept it this way)

Under Hardware Overview I get the below!

Machine Model ADP2,1

Processor Name Intel Core 2 Duo

1.99GHz

Number of Processors 1

Total Number of Cores 2

L2 Cache (per processor) 4MB

Memory 1GB

Bus Speed 667MHz

I honestly am not using OSX that much on this Laptop (more Ubuntu) as I have another setup that works fine with any hardware issues that I am aware of! I just tried to get duo core working as most people I read about weren't even able to even get it boot.. Again, I don't know much about the stability as I haven't ran it long this way - but I can do more testing if need be..

As for the audio, I played around a little and am running into the same problems everyone else has been having - have not a clue where to go from here..

Thx,

TVO

Have ThinkPad X60-10.4.8-SoundMax 1981HD

Same problems as KennyLam - no sound - no sound in-out device

Tried HDAPatcher, other remedies = no luck so far.

:-(

Keep looking into this Forum - hope springs eternal

I have a ThinkPad T60p running XP/VISTA/JaS OSX86 10.4.8 w/ 8.8.1 kernel

While I have Azalia Audio working on 2 channels, it stops working when I install the 802.11n enabler (read HERE) so I am looking for another way to get audio to work instead of Azalia. The AppleHDA seems like the logical choice.

If anyone has a ThinkPad T60 codec dump I can try to see if the inject method using Taruga's HDA patcher works...

Here is the Sound Hardware Info from XP:

SoundMax AD1981HD

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1981&SUBSYS_17AA2025&REV_1002\4&1BFA4A7E&0&0001

Compatible ID's:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1981&REV_1002

Matchiung ID's:

hdaudio\func_01&ven_11d4&dev_1981&subsys_17aa2025

Hi,

I've got a Thinkpad X60. AD1981HD chipset. I followed instructions to dump codec from a Linux Live session, and managed to get HDAPatcher v1.13 to do it's stuff. Did some touch up on the Info.plist in AppleHDAController.kext as formatting was a bit messed up, nano seemed to sort it, also added in 0x11d41981 to the IOPCIPrimaryMatch section. Removed cached Extension.* flies and rebooted. I now have the following ioreg. What I'd like to know is does the !registered, !matched for IOHDACodecDriver mean that this has not loaded properly and therefore if we can fix this then we're a step closer to having Sound working? Appreciate anyones thoughts.

| | | +-o AppleHDAController <class AppleHDAController, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 7>

| | | | {

| | | | "Power Management protected data" = "{ theNumberOfPowerStates = 3, version 1, power state 0 = { capabilityFlags 00000000, outputPowerCharacter 00000000, inputPowerRequirement 00000000, staticPower 0, unbudgetedPower 0, powerToAttain 0, timeToAttain 0, settleUpTime 0, timeToLower 0, settleDownTime 0, powerDomainBudget 0 }, power state 1 = { capabilityFlags 00000000, outputPowerCharacter 00000400, inputPowerRequirement 00000400, staticPower 0, unbudgetedPower 0, powerToAttain 0, timeToAttain 0, settleUpTime 0, timeToLower 0, settleDownTime 0, powerDomainBudget 0 }, power state 2 = { capabilityFlags 00008000, outputPowerCharacter 00000002, inputPowerRequirement 00000002, staticPower 0, unbudgetedPower 0, powerToAttain 0, timeToAttain 0, settleUpTime 0, timeToLower 0, settleDownTime 0, powerDomainBudget 0 }, aggressiveness = 0, myCurrentState = 2, parentsCurrentPowerFlags = 00000002, maxCapability = 2 }"

| | | | "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController"

| | | | "IOClass" = "AppleHDAController"

| | | | "HDAConfigDefault" = ({"ConfigData"=<>,"FuncGroup"=1,"LayoutID"=12,"CodecID"=299112833})

| | | | "IOPCIPrimaryMatch" = "0x11d41981 0x793B1002 0x437B1002 0x43831002 0x269A8086 0x26688086 0x27d88086 0x284B8086 0x026C10DE 0x037110DE 0x75021039 0x546110B9 0x32881106"

| | | | "IOProbeScore" = 0

| | | | "Power Management private data" = "{ this object = 04212800, interested driver = 04212800, driverDesire = 0, deviceDesire = 0, ourDesiredPowerState = 2, previousRequest = 2 }"

| | | | "IOMatchCategory" = "IODefaultMatchCategory"

| | | | "IOProviderClass" = "IOPCIDevice"

| | | | }

| | | |

| | | +-o IOHDACodecDevice@0 <class IOHDACodecDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 6>

| | | | {

| | | | "IOHDACodecRevisionID" = 1049088

| | | | "IOHDACodecVendorID" = 299112833

| | | | }

| | | |

| | | +-o IOHDACodecDriver <class IOHDACodecDriver, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain count 5>

| | | | {

| | | | "IOMatchCategory" = "IODefaultMatchCategory"

| | | | "IOClass" = "IOHDACodecDriver"

| | | | "IOProviderClass" = "IOHDACodecDevice"

| | | | "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily"

| | | | "IOProbeScore" = 0

| | | | }

| | | |

| | | +-o IOHDACodecFunction@1 <class IOHDACodecFunction, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 4>

| | | {

| | | "IOHDACodecFunctionGroupType" = 1

| | | "IOHDACodecFunctionSubsystemID" = 397025317

| | | }

| | |

tomparis hi

Can you pls share where you get the instructions for codec dump for the forum. My setup is identical to yours (assuming all ThinkPad X60 laptops are created the same)

thx

Hi,

I've got a Thinkpad X60. AD1981HD chipset. I followed instructions to dump codec from a Linux Live session, and managed to get HDAPatcher v1.13 to do it's stuff. Did some touch up on the Info.plist in AppleHDAController.kext as formatting was a bit messed up, nano seemed to sort it, also added in 0x11d41981 to the IOPCIPrimaryMatch section. Removed cached Extension.* flies and rebooted. I now have the following ioreg. What I'd like to know is does the !registered, !matched for IOHDACodecDriver mean that this has not loaded properly and therefore if we can fix this then we're a step closer to having Sound working? Appreciate anyones thoughts.

Nice tomparis, you are closer than I got and I have high hopes that if you find a fit it will work for me as well. If you have a sec could you boot into XP or Vista and let me know if your X60 AD1981HD chipset is identical to mine from mt T60p (2623-D8U)? I posted the exact valued from device manager 4 posts above HERE

It is killing me not to be able to go to 802.11n and take advantage of my new wireless card, due to this maddening failure of Azalia Audio!

I have high hopes that the AppleHDA fix will be more resilient to the 802.11n plugin and allow both to work...

Please be so kind to post and let me know if you're running the same exact audio chipset.

I seem unable to get the AD1981HD audio dump in Linux.

I booted my ThinkPad T60p laptop to Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD and it recognized everything, including the audio with both Analog & digital options + microphone.

However when I issue the commands

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 >> dump.txt

all I get is a new line and a blinking cursor, no file gets created and it just sits there.

All the "files" in /proc/asound show as size "0"!

What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE: Nevermind, I got the dump file! See attached, and my post HERE

AD1981HD_T60p_dump.txt

@ssimon : your sound works with applehda?

also could someone with a working AD1981HD post their ConfigData of AppleHDAController ?

that can be found with IORegistryExplorer under IOService or to search for C0E0, or with ioreg -l command

thank you

Unfortunately, NO! I had it working with AppleAzalia, but then when I installed the Plug-in for 802.11n audio broke and dissapeared. See my report HERE

802.11n Wireless works great now @ 150MB, but no more audio. I am therefore trying the AppleHDA approach now.... but without much success.

My last post on the matter is HERE

If anyone can get their ThinkPad T60/X60/R60 to work with AppleHDA, PLEASE let me know!!!

tomparis hi

Can you pls share where you get the instructions for codec dump for the forum. My setup is identical to yours (assuming all ThinkPad X60 laptops are created the same)

thx

Hi GAL,

Apologies for taking so long to reply. Been away. As mentioned by probono that's the instructions I followed. However, i used SUSE 10.2 Live CD and had to make sure I configured the Sound Card first, with I think the "Prompt_CMD" parameter set to 1. Once that was done the cat /proc/asound...etc... would first time. Before that it just hung.

Hope that helps.

I seem unable to get the AD1981HD audio dump in Linux.

I booted my ThinkPad T60p laptop to Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD and it recognized everything, including the audio with both Analog & digital options + microphone.

However when I issue the commands

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 >> dump.txt

all I get is a new line and a blinking cursor, no file gets created and it just sits there.

All the "files" in /proc/asound show as size "0"!

What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE: Nevermind, I got the dump file! See attached, and my post HERE

Apologies I've been away, here's my dump file too!

ad1981.rtf

I keep reading posts from people saying that they want their HP AD1981HD to work like the IBM, but for the life of me I cannot find a solution to patch AppleHDA.kext to work on a ThinkPad T60/X60/R60

Has anyone gotten it to work? (not by using the AppleAzalia patch tho!)

• 3 weeks later...