kernel_task 100% cpu usage

viciouslime

13 posts in this topic

kernel_task is using 100% of the cpu making everything run pretty slowly. I found a fix on the wiki but the file it said to delete (appleTPMACPI.kext) doesn't exist, are there any other fixes? :D

does this happen right after you install osx? usually it means a driver/kext isnt working and is eating up all your cpu time.

check your console and look at your system logs and see if anything is failing, if you installed any drivers, remove them. it also might be a good idea to go into your BIOS and disable any onboard devices you might not need or to disable some of the advanced functions (set USB to legacy mode or disable 2.0, stuff like that).

Open up the Activity Monitor Application and select "All Processes" from the show drop-down. What is the name of the process that is taking up all of the cpu?

I had this problem earlier and it was the DirectoryService task that was the problem. I managed to fix it by opening the Directory Access Application and turning off the SLP service. That did it for me.

HHM

• 1 month later...
Me too! I am using a patched 10.4.8 intall dvd, patched with NFORCE4 sata ppf. I'm beginning to think that this is my main problem. :rolleyes:

I am also getting diskarb errors on boot.

thoughts?

joneSi

UPDATE!!!!!:

Ok, so I was getting the diskarb issue, and it was acting really funny, but its stopped. I reinstalled and did so from a different DVD Drive and that did the trick. It seems that my new lite-on dvd-r....

So if you are having troubles like that, I hope this helps a little bit. It is apparently a problem that is popping up on real intel macs, so there may be some other issues there.

joneSi

• 5 months later...

i have newest Mac build from uphuck which is 10.4.9(1.6gb version), everytime i restart or logout/log back in,i have kernel_task process taking all the cpu, its really very annoying, it lasts for like 10 to 15 min, then goes back to normal

i try opening console, and activity log, activity log gives me something like found 4 network, found 10 network

dont knw wht it is but sum expert help needed