ATI Alpha Driver & Source

JaS

190 posts in this topic

i can feel a significant difference in performance in playing videos, and running multiple programs. the videos run much smoother, and there isn't any lag, even in full screen. also when open programs. its amazing

-Tabha

Nice.Good work getting it to load and thanks for leting us know how its working for you B)

This is the only the start it will get better over time

Thats great thanks for posting the news,I want to put in alot of work over the next few days and will post what I can get done.Also we should start an irc channel where we can colaberate on the driver and what each of is doing or wants to work on.also we can post the source and kexts on a fileserver for ppl to get update versions untill the SF cvs happens.

anyone want to do this or thinks this is a good idea?

Well, what's the expected turnaround time for sourceforge? I can offer hosting space if it's needed, and a project site. Just let me know and I'll put something together, even in addition to SF.

Works with my M7 in a thinkpad T30, without any AppleI386PCI.kext. (Didn't have that kext around to try with.)

I assume this driver doesn't really accelerate anything atm. How can one verify that the driver actually is used for drawing as opposed to just being loaded as a kernel extension?

I assume this driver doesn't really accelerate anything atm. How can one verify that the driver actually is used for drawing as opposed to just being loaded as a kernel extension?

I suspect this kext does no acceleration and people claiming so are under the placebo effect.

I got this kext running and recognized, and even got the system to see my AGP bus but I didn't see any significant improvements.

I suspect this kext does no acceleration and people claiming so are under the placebo effect.

I got this kext running and recognized, and even got the system to see my AGP bus but I didn't see any significant improvements.

This is an alpha driver what do you expect .. its the first step not the end.If your not happy there is always room for you to help.Let me know if you want to help out.

This is an alpha driver what do you expect .. its the first step not the end.If your not happy there is always room for you to help.Let me know if you want to help out.

It uses the ati frame buffer and uses more vram then your usual famebuffer of 16 mb the incress in performance is more ram allocated for video

Hey! Relax, I'm not knocking anything here! I'm sorry if you feel that way, I'm just trying to discern were we are.

Hey! Relax, I'm not knocking anything here! I'm sorry if you feel that way, I'm just trying to discern were we are.

I am relaxed.I'm just telling you where we are.You were knocking anyone who said they had incressed preformance.

And since you didnt respond to helping I guess thats a no on it then?

Working pretty good here. Couldn't test video too much because VLC only crashes, but GUI seemed a bit more responsive.

Read this thread there is a vlc i posted that should work,Also this vlc can play dvds with menus I tested it with my I-Robot dvd and worked great:) http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=3212

Hey, I really want to help this project out. I'm not familiar with Xcode env. nor Driver related programming, but anyway I'll dig the codes to make some progress.

Now I got two things to solve... :)

first, to make real-working ATI driver.

second, enable my USB feature on ACPI mode... :)

Anyway, I glanced codes in ATI project, thinking that c codes in doc folder can help us implementing the framebuffer or accerlerator thing, and I found structure between c and cpp has a big difference (a matter of course!). so now I think I have to find out what is the difference and why it's difference.

hey, can someone( like JaS, np_) give us an idea to add lots of functions on these great skeletons?

P.S: Jas, np_ you guys done a great job! It's really a big start i think. really appreciated.

Well maybe someone can do this for us http://www.scriptet.com/ctocpp.html#Overview

convert the c files to cpp with this method

Not really. They will need to be ported to the IOKit situation. We just need to use this code to see how to talk with the chips and cards and coding that in IOKit. I'm going to have another look.

ATI's proprietary linux driver's kernel side is open source, and it is glue to their proprietary code. That could probably be hooked in somehow, but it is just an XFree86 driver as well.

Not really. They will need to be ported to the IOKit situation. We just need to use this code to see how to talk with the chips and cards and coding that in IOKit. I'm going to have another look.

ATI's proprietary linux driver's kernel side is open source, and it is glue to their proprietary code. That could probably be hooked in somehow, but it is just an XFree86 driver as well.

I was saying to convert them to see the proper way to code the calls & to give people something to do to contribute.Im sure everyone wants to try and help,this is something people can do.

I am intrested in seeing this so if anyone wants to do it go for it and let me know when your done.

Also you can get the ati proprietary drive sources by starting the ati install on a linux box.Then going to where the files have been extracted for install and make a copy of the directory before the install.If you want to see them

Well everyone the Hurrican is passing by me so my power and internet are going out.I will post back when I can

hey,JaS,I had try to compile the source.looked into the error message,I found some file miss

list: xfuncproto.h , xf86str.h , xf86fbman.h ,xaa.h ,mibank.h ,xf86cursor.h ,xf86pci.h

xf86resources.h .

I think we need those file first , with have those files, c->cpp and find errors could be done.

I have not program drivers before ,But I know c and c++ and programming in windows for a long time .So I can help to compile ,c->cpp ,debug.now I want to take a top view of the source .

sorry for my bad english

hey,JaS,I had try to compile the source.looked into the error message,I found some file miss

list: xfuncproto.h , xf86str.h , xf86fbman.h ,xaa.h ,mibank.h ,xf86cursor.h ,xf86pci.h

xf86resources.h .

I think we need those file first , with have those files, c->cpp and find errors could be done.

I have not program drivers before ,But I know c and c++ and programming in windows for a long time .So I can help to compile ,c->cpp ,debug.now I want to take a top view of the source .

sorry for my bad english

To compile those drivers needs the XFree86 source tree.

The x11 ati driver doesn't need to be in C++ for it to work. The C++ IOKit driver just needs to use it, but the XFree86 stuff needs to be taken completely out of it. Rather, the good stuff needs to be taken out of that x11 ati driver one bit at a time to build the Darwin x86 driver we want.

I'm still busy with work to do anything myself. Hopefully when this week is over. Crunch time.

-huma

To compile those drivers needs the XFree86 source tree.

The x11 ati driver doesn't need to be in C++ for it to work. The C++ IOKit driver just needs to use it, but the XFree86 stuff needs to be taken completely out of it. Rather, the good stuff needs to be taken out of that x11 ati driver one bit at a time to build the Darwin x86 driver we want.

I'm still busy with work to do anything myself. Hopefully when this week is over. Crunch time.

-huma

Having the x11 driver converted to cpp code would let us take bits out of the code and move them around ez,they would be convered to the proper code to be added to our sources.This is why i think it is a good idea to convert the c to cpp. ( <--- forget about this topic if i want it done ill convert them and use what i can out of it lets get past this and get to coding )

So your not doing anything with these sources for atlease a week Humasect?

ok so its back to just me again.

Having the x11 driver converted to cpp code would let us take bits out of the code and move them around ez,they would be convered to the proper code to be added to our sources.This is why i think it is a good idea to convert the c to cpp. ( <--- forget about this topic if i want it done ill convert them and use what i can out of it lets get past this and get to coding )

So your not doing anything with these sources for atlease a week Humasect?

ok so its back to just me again.

That makes sense. More focus. I will try to squeeze in ati driver work each day this week. Excited to see the osx86 project starting to gain a little momentum again. I'll spend a few hours with it right now as I will take a break from $$ work.

-huma

x11 code under "Docs" is for to study only , how driver work ..etc

also usefull about I/O registry offsets

After looking through the code, there is a LOT of things done which IOKit does for us automatically too. I put in some more skeleton functionality, but I will wait 1 week to see if 10.4.3 brings us anything nice. (No really, I have to finish something else before next week).

What is the status on SVN for the user who registered it there? We can commit what I (JaS's table entries are in radeon_??.h, just a bit out of date) added so far and concentrate less on synchronizing what we learn and achieve along the way. I will look at ATI's linux kernel glue when I get the chance.

-huma

Gah....

I load my osX up, and I continually get the error that the kernel extension cannot be loaded.

I used the original kext (on page 1 or 2) and I still get the error.

9800 Pro, the device ID is listed in the kext file, but still no luck. Please assist if possible.