ATI Alpha Driver & Source

JaS

190 posts in this topic

Developers you can grab the latest version from CVS and start adding code... we need to be organized with the code so we can start to get things done.

Follow these instructions to get Xcode setup:

http://www.physics.emory.edu/students/davi...ourceforge.html

That way we can be developing at the same time.

In order to grab a copy of the current code... anyone can just go into terminal and type:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/openati checkout openati

EDIT : I have added the 2nd set of ATI driver and the kexts foxes here for download just unzip and put the kexts in your Extensions folder and set the premissions(this will fix the dependancy issus wit hte first fix but the errors at boot are back upo.Since errors are before the kext finds the chip and does its thing i would just disregard them as the dependancies seem to be correctly set up once you boot into Os X

EDIT: Removed attachment violating DMCA

This is great news. I'm not sure I'll be as helpful as others here, but I'll do my best and look at it tonight. Do we have a list of bugs/tasks that need to be completed. I can set up a bugzilla site. At least this will help us keep track of who is working on what, and what remains, etc..etc..

Are there any links to follow? Does anyone know how far this has gone?

I'd like to see some of the changes that have been made over the past few weeks. By the way, is this built from scratch?

From what I've seen of the threads, it looks like it's based on another project.

I'm guessing it's not very functional. I built it in xcode without changing any preferences. I also used terminal to modify the device and vendor ID (found out the hard way that there are two places in the kext where these values have to be modified, unlike the nvidia kext which has only one)

I rebooted and got a kernel panic. It loaded fine up to the ATI frame buffer thing, then went nuts and paniced.

This was tested using a Radeon 9200.

Don't the 9200's use a different set of drivers then the 9200+ ones? I know up to 9200 was open source but after that card they are closed source because of newer/different functions. I would assume that'd mean that the cards are different and *MAY* be why it crashed. Doubtful but hey xD

Don't the 9200's use a different set of drivers then the 9200+ ones? I know up to 9200 was open source but after that card they are closed source because of newer/different functions. I would assume that'd mean that the cards are different and *MAY* be why it crashed. Doubtful but hey xD

Yes the 9200 series is different than the 9600 series through todays series of cards. The 9200 was a directx 8 spec'd chip, while for the 9600 on ATI chips were spec'd at DX9.0+

Ok Well I now Have Permission to Post the Source code For the ATI Driver.

you will have to add your device id to the info.plist after you build it.

I hope now we can get some work done on this.

[Violation of DMCA]

[Violation of DMCA]

Does this mean the creator has stopped the work on it? Now it's up to us? No need to write the same thing twice. Are we going to have a source repo for current work and contributors? I'm ready to get started.

-huma

The 9200 code is/was opensource? Like Takuro, I'm stuck with one of those beasts and would like to get my hands on the code for it if possible. Anyone have a pointer or two? TIA...

I'm guessing it's not very functional. I built it in xcode without changing any preferences. I also used terminal to modify the device and vendor ID (found out the hard way that there are two places in the kext where these values have to be modified, unlike the nvidia kext which has only one)

I rebooted and got a kernel panic. It loaded fine up to the ATI frame buffer thing, then went nuts and paniced.

This was tested using a Radeon 9200.

add this atiframebuffer.cpp to your source code and recompile this should fix your problem.Also build the source as a release not debug.

Does this mean the creator has stopped the work on it? Now it's up to us? No need to write the same thing twice. Are we going to have a source repo for current work and contributors? I'm ready to get started.

-huma

This means that its in the communities hands now,you can take it and put it on Sf if you want.Make a cvs and have ppl work on it.Whatever anyone sees fit to do with it

There was someone on the other thread that said they Would put it on SF if they had the source......... let see what happens.

I have been working on this for 2 months and I have got us to here.I am taking a break now.

The atix11 source code thats also in the ati source for download at the links ive posted have everything anyone needs to Build a driver with 2d/3d.

Good luck and your welcome.

So, for two months, we have one C++ source file? Politics have really hampered this project.

But enough dwelling on that, does anyone know the exact source of this file? Is it based on a 2D accelerated driver? We need to know these things before going forward and wasting time rewriting.

Are there any links to follow? Does anyone know how far this has gone?

I'd like to see some of the changes that have been made over the past few weeks. By the way, is this built from scratch?

From what I've seen of the threads, it looks like it's based on another project.

this is the link. :(

he coded it and emailed it to me to try out what he has done to this point.

This driver is built by np_ for the macvidia project but its not built off there code its from scratch.

Its up to us to get the rest working.

So, for two months, we have one C++ source file? Politics have really hampered this project.

But enough dwelling on that, does anyone know the exact source of this file? Is it based on a 2D accelerated driver? We need to know these things before going forward and wasting time rewriting.

what hampered the project was poeple saying they would help ME and noone really doing it.not polotics.ffs

Did you download the source code and look at it? If you did you wouldnt have posted this because you would have seen all the source files inside.The cpp I posted is modified to stop the kernel panic the the person what having.

I wonder ,do you people have any respect for the hours and hours of hard work I have put into learning how to do this and for what .. to help a community of people that complain.Well atleast im free now.

Good luck I'm done

The interested parties are three: The ones interested in getting ATI on their OS, the ones to code ATI for the experience, and those in between. I'm right in the middle, but it seems really obvious one would get put off if they are on either end of that scale, just to get their ATI to work or just to write the code and possibly get recognition. I want ATI and willing to write the code; so I personally won't give up or get mixed within the drama that seems to happen automatically where communication is failing.

We have what we can assume to be a skeleton ATI framebuffer driver with IOAccelerator stub, from my 5 second glance to make sure I got the file. I will reinstall OSX and continue further. Anyone else wanting to get something done, and that means work before rewards, contact me and we can organize something as simple and as fast as is comfortable for us and the community. We can assume that Apple will have a "real" drivers for us to use in the future sometime, which is highly likely. So this might not be your "Gold Star" and have your name all over HOWTOs and FAQs spread around the land of the internet... just wanting to hack on an OS X driver for your card and increase hardware support.

Just think of all the excited ATI users who are not comfortable to learn how to move forward with this, it is understandable they will become frustrated when obstacles and miscommunication happen naturally.

-huma

that's Great,JaS.

I viewed this source code ,it's just a skeleton now ,We need add code to make this to work ,right?

dont care about fail or not ,just enjoy it:D

Yes it is just a skeleton now with basic framebuffer and a accel nub.I will add some device id's to the kext and compile it as it is now,for ppl to try out.I see some dont have xcode and they want to try this out on there system.

I am testing this with an ati radeon 9600 ill add as many device ids as I can but if you want to post your ids here I will add them also.Its not much now but it loads and it seems to make things alittle smoother for me.Full screen video still lags alittle but not as bad.It's just the first step ... but atleast its a step forword :( i will compile and edit this post with the kext be back soon.

Edit : Here is the ati driver frame for you to try.These are the device ids I added to it

0x4E441002&0xffffffff 0x41441002&0xffffffff 0x4E481002&0xffffffff

0x41481002&0xffffffff 0x41501002&0xffffffff 0x4E501002&0xffffffff

0x41521002&0xffffffff 0x4E541002&0xffffffff 0x4A481002&0xffffffff

0x4A491002&0xffffffff 0x4A4A1002&0xffffffff 0x4A4B1002&0xffffffff

0x4A4C1002&0xffffffff 0x4A4D1002&0xffffffff 0x4A4E1002&0xffffffff

0x5B601002&0xffffffff 0x5B621002&0xffffffff 0x3E501002&0xffffffff

I have it loaded now so i know its loading for my card if your device id is not listed just let me know what card you have if you dont know your id and ill add it for you and send you the kext

here is whats listed under extensions

Ati:

Version: 1.0.1d

Last Modified: 10/22/05 8:52 PM

Get Info String: Ati

kext Version: 1.0.1

Load Address: 0xdf1b2000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Satisfied

Integrity: Unknown

Dont forget to do this unzip the ati.kext to your extensions folder.If you dont see your device id in this list add it to the info.plist then open a terminal and then

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Ati.kext/

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Ati.kext/

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

and then reboot to get the kext to load

the kext is revised get it from the next page

Kernel boot resolutions, is display settings the same? If there is a change with speed, then IOAccelerator stub is not just skeleton... interesting.

No outside interest for projectwide efforts so I think submitting patched changes like JaS you are doing now is what will happen for a little while. I think that is better though. I will install when I am done with work and contribute then.

-huma

hey,

i don't understand what is going, so what dose this do?

So what dose it do, enable me to change resolution? or like enable QE?

could some please explaine

I have a ati radeon 9800 pro.

hey this is my device Id and vendor

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4e48

Revision ID: 0x0000

-Tabha

Hello, I've got a acer TM 4001 wlmi, with the Ati Mobility Radeon 9700.

I haven't the dev tools installed, what are the steps to make it work ?

cp -rf Ati.ktext /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Ati.kext/

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Ati.kext/

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Reboot

Well, it doesn't work, it boot but without ati driver, this is the output of the dmesg:

AppleMTRRSupport: Enabled Write-Combining for memory range d8000000:400000

extension "com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily" cannot be found

can't determine immediate dependencies for extension com.free.driver.Ati

Can't determine dependencies for com.free.driver.Ati.

Couldn't alloc class "ATIFramebuffer"

Couldn't alloc class "ATIAccelerator"

Can anybody help me ??

Sorry for me english

Guy's calm down,

you can get this done is nothing complicated

falow few basic steps

1: set CVS ( SF )

2: finish ATIModelInfoTable -> ATIInfoTable.cpp , there is a link for all ati deviceID/Model info

here note: you guy's shold deside how far you want to go

for example in X11 driver are old ati chipset support ie "ATI Match 32" - i doub some one still have card like this pointless to support it right?

why ATIModelInfoTable is import to be finished? is because you shold know first with witch ati model you are dealing ( about MMIO registry ) to feel atiinfotable did not request any programing skils - anyone can do it format is very simple { deviceID, Model }, maybe in future can be added chip arch too

3: reenable "atidrv" in atiframebuffer.cpp - i don't have ati to know why panic

but if some one provide me detailed info i can get some clue

4: finish ATIPtr structure this will be most import part between driver (ATIDriver.cpp) and atiframebuffer

5: now here comes real driver work

falow x11 source in project->Docs ( study them )

after you have all these setup you shold overide standart VGA register

set extented registers - specific for ati

and then you can get info about resolutions ..etc overriding framebuffer

for start do these basic steps i will try to help with all i can , bad i did not have ATI to test myself

also busy between work/nvidia driver but what the hell if i can help i will

do not lose time posting here go ahead and study code ( Docs )

if you have some troubles / quesion - contact JaS and he will contact me,

i will be happy to help with all i can

np_

ps: these

"extension "com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily" cannot be found

Couldn't alloc class "ATIFramebuffer"

Couldn't alloc class "ATIAccelerator""

are not import its if you set OSBundleRequired = Safe Boot ( Info.plist in ati.kext) they will wanish

or OSBundleRequired = Root in IOGraphicsFamily

:)

Could someone post a compiled version? I don't have the Xcode compiler.

you can download Xcode for free from Apple. I think you just need to signup as a developer.