Leopard launch date, When?

t3mur

36 posts in this topic

OK so The lauch of the Windows Vista is getting close. Only 22 days left till the disaster strikes millions of PC's. But whats in the Apple world? Any launch dates announced for OSX Leopard? :)

Vista...

Not coming out for the longest time, as in 5 1/2 years between Gold RTMs.

Who knows when the official development start date was.

XP and OS X came out at roughly the same time. Since then, there has been 4 new versions of OS X implementing new functionality with a fifth on the way which will be out at the latest in 3 months.

As far as the whole Updated Versions thing is concerned, Apple is already 4 ahead of Microsoft as things sit right now. But, as Vista will be most comparable with OS X 10.4, Apple has already beat Microsoft to market by a year and a half.

Sure both will have a release close to each other, but we are quite literally comparing Apples to "Oranges and Blueberries".

For those who aren't aware, at Microsoft, FTEs often refer to Contractors as Oranges because of the color of their badges. Contractors generally refer to FTEs as either Blueberries, f***wads, dips***s, etc. for the same reason.

What is kinda ironic is how apple makes fun of Vista not coming out for the longest time, but Leopard is coming out after vista.

Knowing that Longhorn shold have been out before Tiger, I don't see the point of that reflection.

Thus, you don't know if Leopard is not going to be launched the 9. (even if it seems higly improbable)

If anyone really considers any of these updates like panther and tiger are full fledged OSes, you gotta be kidding me. The updates are not that large, WOW spotlight! If you consider those updates you also must consider SP1 & SP2 as a major update, Microsoft also made a 64 bit XP OS. So if you add all those things into the equation, apple and Microsoft are pretty much equal on realeses

Hopefully a march 15th release. No WAY will it released at macworld. However i have a good feeling that the new leopard build should be a big step in its development. Leopard is still young, nowhere near a "release candidate" stage.

In some ways, it would probably be a good idea for Apple to wait until some of the Vista hype dies down before they release their own new OS. If it comes after Vista, people might start buying more PCs as an update to both their aging systems and to get the new OS.

If Apple could release before, people might buy more Macs and say, "The hell with Vista, it's not that great." I think that they would have greater success if they could ship it a week or two before Vista, but I'd personally rather see a well-finished product (We wouldn't want to see "WinFS" cut out of Leopard :)).

If anyone really considers any of these updates like panther and tiger are full fledged OSes, you gotta be kidding me. The updates are not that large, WOW spotlight! If you consider those updates you also must consider SP1 & SP2 as a major update, Microsoft also made a 64 bit XP OS. So if you add all those things into the equation, apple and Microsoft are pretty much equal on realeses

Your right of course, Apple dont have a 64bit OS, spotlight isnt as revolutionary as windows search, bluetooth and the security updates in SP2 were a colossal revolution on par with Panther and Leo is just a Vista rip off :thumbsdown_anim:

c'mon, seriously?!

I want to know, my birthday is on the 2nd of March, and my parents want to get me an iMac, but there's no point if Leopard is being released on the 15 of March.

I will wait.

BaYlisS

Bayliss...no one knows when it will come out. Not even Apple. It all depends on how the development goes. They have an estimated schedule, but no one actually knows. They will probably announce new features next week. And they will also probably say Spring 2007.

I want to know, my birthday is on the 2nd of March, and my parents want to get me an iMac

How many Macs do you already have?! I know you have the Mac Pro, and I thought you got another system too a bit after...

I want to know, my birthday is on the 2nd of March, and my parents want to get me an iMac, but there's no point if Leopard is being released on the 15 of March.

I will wait.

BaYlisS

apple provides free* copies of new OS's to people that buy mac 1 month or so before release. you simply have to pay a shipping + handling fee usually ($10). it might even be a bit more than a month.

@ bartboy, how different is xp than 2000 or me or 98? its the 4.0 kernel iirc, so its not all that different. OS X releases arent like service packs. service packs are like going from 10.4.6 to 10.4.9. going from 10.3 to 10.4 is like going from 2000 to xp. a few differences, but essentially the same.

name 5 things that MS has done to innovatively enhance their OS in the past 10 years.

10.4 had spotlight, expose, and dashboard off the top of my head. and it works on 2.5 different processor architectures (x86/x64/ppc)

Your right of course, Apple dont have a 64bit OS, spotlight isnt as revolutionary as windows search, bluetooth and the security updates in SP2 were a colossal revolution on par with Panther and Leo is just a Vista rip off :rolleyes:

c'mon, seriously?!

I didn't say that, Im saying that Windows is pretty much on a similar schedule for rolling out updates to their OS. Plus the SPs dont cost any money.

To post above, They added a firewall in SP 2 by default have added stability. And to add to my earlyer post they also came out with a major Media App, Media Center (Which I think is Miles ahead of Front Row)

Make no mistake, Im no M$ fan boy, Im mainly a gamer so im hyped for vista and DX 10, as a matter O' fact, I'm typing this on my White Macbook 2.0 Ghz. I just think its unfair to say Microsoft has been sitting on their OS for 5 years and not doing anything to improve it.

Edited by Bartboy919