Does Apple Know About US?

retroz

Does APPLE Know ABOUT US?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Does Apple KNOW ABOUT US?

• Yes
    • No

32 posts in this topic

Ok, they do, but why let it go on? What is the future?

Doesn't it make sense with all the VISTA Problems to open up the OS? Plus the new INTEL MACs are pretty price competitve anyway (so there goes that theory), but yet here we still are, always trying out new things.

What do you think APPLE thinks about the OSX86 user base?

Regarding VISTA if need be I will post a link with very bad news for developers and DRM and VISTA and how it could really hurt both MSFT and 3rd party developers (white box pc makers).

:lol:

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!!!!!

If you want to hear a short answer to your answer "Why do they let it go on ?", 1st: they want to know people's reaction to their OS "People who never saw a mac in their life", and 2nd: I think most guys here are doing stuff that Apply usually hire someone to do, but here... they do it for free. (Stupid answer yet its a part of the truth).

If you want to hear a short answer to your answer "Why do they let it go on ?", 1st: they want to know people's reaction to their OS "People who never saw a mac in their life", and 2nd: I think most guys here are doing stuff that Apply usually hire someone to do, but here... they do it for free. (Stupid answer yet its a part of the truth).

A very clever way of gathering together a 60,000 strong beta testing programme. And although it sounds arrogant to say this, we probably contributed to that increase in sales they have just experienced. Not hugely, but we contributed, through word of mouth and through buying the new stuff ourselves.

In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest that Swad will be made an Apple Fellow in due course.

//R

Of course Apple knows about us, but they are kind of walking a two edge sword. They can try to shut down the site legally. At this point this site has grown to the size I would say it would definitely get picked up by Slashdot, Think Secret, and others if it were to be shut down. This story could snowball pretty easily and Apple could find they have a great deal many more people becoming aware that they COULD potentially run OS X on there "Windows" box.

they definatly know about us, and they don't like what we're doing, liike x86, but we are the kinda people they hire for the genius bar. You guys are right, we have increased their sales. if they shut this site down. they wouldn't know what people think about macs, so i don't think, even if they have a chance, they will shut down this site!

im sure they arent fond of the people who use hackintoshes, but it does show not only do people who know how to use computers well (knowing how to dual boot, work out kinks, etc.) like OS X better than alternatives, but are willing to put up with the screwups and unsupported hardware over everything else. that not only says a lot, but it also means more and more people will buy macs. how many posts do you see every week saying "OMG i got my first mac it pwnz0rz0rz!"? i think they are getting good publicity with this.

Of course Apple knows about us...

No doubt, they shut this site down almost a year ago. Swad (Mash) was contacted by an attorney representing Apple too.

yea they do know, but do they care? i mean how little are we for them?

Exactly, Apple does not really care about this, if they did this site simply would not be here. Apple can shut down InsanelyMac anytime it wants with little or no effort under the DMCA. And unless the EFF steps in, it is unlikely that InsanelyMac would be able to defend themselves against even a frivolous lawsuit filed by Apple. But another site would just pop up someplace else, so Apple really can not stop it either.

Furthermore, it is not like the number of people doing this is spiraling out of control, rather it seems to have leveled off. Even if there are 50k Hackintoshes out there, it is a small number compared to size of Apple's sales each year.

I am sure that Apple would rather have people running illegimate copies of OS X, than Windows or Linux too, and that is the real alternative here. The number of former Mac owners here is small, most people are coming from Windows and many of them become "switchers". As others have speculated, the net effect of OSx86 (Hackintoshes) is almost certainly more Mac sales.

I am sure that Apple would rather have people running illegimate copies of OS X, than Windows or Linux too, and that is the real alternative here.

My thoughts exactly! And would like to add that sooner or later the illegimate users (with Hackintoshes) would buy the real stuff ( It got me too... I already own a Mac Mini and a Mac Book Pro). Then, before we know it, Apple would have taken over some share of the users the way Microsoft is already used to : Download that pirate iso, burn it.... like it, tell people about it (many of thouse buy it, many just download it.. etc), then, in time the chances are that even those people that initially just downloaded the pirate iso (dmg :P ) to buy it.

With Apple is a little more tricky but much more fun too. 'couse you don't just get a (THE) state of the art class operating system, but you get the superb hardware that Apple manufactures.

Buy a Mac! It's incredible!

Definitely agree with the above posts that Insanelymac brings sales or puts a spotlight :( on Apple. This is also (IMHO) the best site out there for customizing, fixing, and tweaking OSX whether its for a hackintosh or mac. From my Ibook g4 to my Imac C2D 2GHZ, I've learned more about an operating system from this site in a few years than I had in a decade working with Windows. Anytime I've had a question about OSX, this site and Apple's are the first two I hit. There are a lot of kind and helpful people here.

yep, that and we really arnt doing anything illegal as long as we dont post links or host anything illicit.... its not like the sites actually hosting the stuff... they cant touch it.

and AllOutMacsToday, we arnt the type of people they hire for the genius bar, those people are retarded and make me feel as though i want to hang myself by my charging cord.... ughhhhhhhh I HATE THOSE PEOPLE! its kind of like when i phone in to any company for help, the person really does know less than me (the low level ones who pick up, not the higher up ones who you dont get in to talk to unless you call in a bunch and ask for them etc....)

Seriously why would they shut us down?

1) As said earlier, we give them publicity.

2) They get a 60000+ tester base for free.

3) This 60000+ tester base, spreads the word and shows off to people how cool and stable OSX is.

4) We develop drivers for them, and thus provide Apple with skilled ppl that can be employed.

5) Also, realize, that we arenot just 60000 ppl, but combined many more. There are so many OSx86 related sites, we may the one at the top, but not the only one.

Seriously why would they shut us down?

From what I can tell, Apple is merely interested in preventing OSx86 (Hackinstoshing) from getting out of (its) control. And that certianly does not appear happening, not the we are really under the control of Apple, but the growth of the community is no longer exponential, it has tapered off to a constant rate of about a few thousand per month (judging by the number of registered users here). I mean, in one year, I would expect this site to have 100k registered users, not 500k.

But I think Apple tolerance of this site tells us something else. They are planning to license OS X to Dell, HP, Sony and Lenovo, so there are going to be a lot more people running OS X without buying Macs, making the entire issue even less important. I mean, if Apple is actually planning to sell OS X for use on PCs, it is not like they have to worry about us hurting Mac sales, because they are planning to something even more threatening themselves.

and it seems Vista will produce more mac users as well.

I think it is too early to start judging the impact of Vista on Mac sales, but I would actually expect it to be slightly negative in the short term. Anyone thinking about dumping Windows, will now probably wait to try Vista, then wait for Microsoft to fix the bugs and ultimately be satisfied with the improvements (which may only be superficial).

This is perhaps a silly comparison but as a musician I'd rather have somebody to listen to my music downloaded from P2P than to buy somebody else's. I know, corporate fat cats don't exactly think the same way but at least we're not talking M$ here.

Anywayz to a large part, my OSX86 experiments made my wife (who otherwise only swears by Linux) buy an Intel Macbook...

Of course Apple knows about us, but they are kind of walking a two edge sword. They can try to shut down the site legally. At this point this site has grown to the size I would say it would definitely get picked up by Slashdot, Think Secret, and others if it were to be shut down. This story could snowball pretty easily and Apple could find they have a great deal many more people becoming aware that they COULD potentially run OS X on there "Windows" box.

You mean like this? Yes, that's an Associated Press article. Or do you fancy Macworld? I could go on for awhile :)

The way I see it, I'm sure Apple is happy to see people using their OS instead of Windows on their computer, whether it's Apple hardware or not.

Just to expand that line of thinking even further, Apple would do well by porting the entire iLife suite to Windows (not just iTunes) and selling it for $49. It has been well established elsewhere (the iPod "halo" effect or whatever) that exposure to Apple products (software in particular) leads to Mac sales.

Just as a side note, Apple didn't "shut us down" last year. They asked us to remove a few links a couple of members had posted (against our rules), so we turned the forum off until the staff could remove the offending material. We have a very good working relationship with Apple's legal representation. We respect Apple, their intellectual property, and their corporate ethos - I'd think a forum like this is in line with all of those ideals.

• 2 weeks later...
But I think Apple tolerance of this site tells us something else. They are planning to license OS X to Dell, HP, Sony and Lenovo, so there are going to be a lot more people running OS X without buying Macs, making the entire issue even less important. I mean, if Apple is actually planning to sell OS X for use on PCs, it is not like they have to worry about us hurting Mac sales, because they are planning to something even more threatening themselves.

I've been thinking the same thing. If Apple was toying with this idea, I could think of no better way to unofficially test that scenario than the x86 project. It's interesting to note that people in the industry have been saying for years that Intel should develop their own OS; could it end up being OSX?

One of the peculiarities of OSX over all other OSes, as discussed at nauseum, is it's most expensive dongle (the Mac). Now if the dongle became the actual processor architecture, that would certainly tie it into highly specific hardware. And if Intel began making CPUs exclusively for Apple... interesting speculations ;)

However I prefer the less Machiavellian explanation: if you gave me the option today of buying OSX for my Intel box, I would just buy it. Buying a Mac? Well, I just built my latest PC a month ago...

What's interesting is that a month ago when I built my box, the Mac was more of a mystery and my life was a tad simpler.

So does Apple know about us? Oh yeah. :P